Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Is this a bargain?

a 1908-D $20 St. Gaudens PCGS MS65 No motto

1. 1929 $2.5 Indian Gold Coin PCGS MS65

both for $15,000.00

please respond

Comments

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You missed putting this question up on the Sports Card Forum. You better go to that forum and ask also. All of the other forums are covered with your question.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    No, it's not a" bargain". And, if you go out looking for bargains, especially without learning a great deal about coins and the market first, you will end up losing, not making $ on your purchases.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my response:

The coins in question might be a bargain if they were severely undergraded.
    The coins in question would be way overpriced if they were overgraded.

I did not investigate what the prices should be if accurately graded.

My question for you..............do you know your grading well enough to determine if the coins are undergraded, overgraded or accurately graded.

Even if accurately graded you still need to contend with whether they are low end for the grade or high end for the grade!

Not as easy as it first appears.

Agreed with coinguy1; "looking for "bargains" will buy you potential problem coins for the grade. Do it the other way. Buy coins that are high end for the grade and pay accordingly.

The only time you get bargains is when you "discover" a variety that was not known before, or various other bulk purchases such as BU rolls, or US Mint products at the right time and the right place, being astute as to what the real grade the coin is despite the holder it is in (grading arbitrage), etc. Quite often it is a matter of the right timing and luck.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it doesn't sound like a bargain.