Home Metal Detecting
Options

LM...you're gonna be sick........

Had a chance to MD an old plantation built in 1800...still there to this day......a LOT of potential...and very little trash...We got completely rained out by a severe thunderstorm. I Found this button or some type of fastener....it still has some of the gold gilt on the front and what looks like the letter "P" in script. Also the best find for me in a while...a half cent dated 1794!.....The condition while not the best, is still pretty good. Some discoloration and damage, but heck I'll take it!

Here is a link to the site:
Linda Plantation

More info

Pictures of the house and area

The area we were detecting in was near here:

Revolutionary War Veteran homesite

Comments

• Options
    Wow! That Half Cent is amazing! Oh yeah, almost forgot: YOU SUCK! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS GONNA GO WITH HIM, BUT I CANCELED!

imageimageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Now I'll never get a chance to hunt that site... image

... 'cause I'm gonna jump off the top of the Lanier Bridge on my way home. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BTW, the Old English "P" is usually seen on old police buttons.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Awesome! The condition of that half cent looks very nice to me, particularly the obverse!

The "P" button/badge looks interesting as well.
    Interesting additional info in the links.

Way to go!!!!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    <<The condition while not the best...>>

Have you found better?!

Congrats on the super old U.S. coin! image
  • Options
    Riccar...we are pretty lucky down here when it comes to soil damage on coins....The sand this coin was found in is great. It has very little acid content and is on a hill, so it stays pretty dry....Still all in all, I guess it is in pretty darn good shape!
  • Options
    Dude that is one sweet find,congrat's!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Those are some great finds there! image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    SWEET FIND!

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that is AWESOME!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool site and sweet finds millennium.imageimage
  • Options
    I have never owned a half cent of that type, let alone DUG one. image

Steve, you do realize that this is possibly your most valuable coin find yet, probably worth even more than the two goldies you dug?

Figuring on VG prices, it is probably a $500+ coin, even dug. I think VGs go $700+ nondug. Even if one only graded it G4 with environmental damage, that is one helluva find.

That detector has paid for itself for sure, now, as if the two goldies hadn't already paid for it.

Oh, it is official, now- I will be the owner of a GTI-2500 myself, in a week or two. Swapped some coins to John (goldrush) for his. He is getting another 'tector.

• Options
    I was wondering just how much it would be worth...It's got environmental damage, that can be seen, but not too bad as to make it undesirable. I would never sell it though, you know how that is, it's like a child of mine now....As I have said before....if a coin is in the ground, and I sweep over it, I have all the confidence in the world my GTi will find it.

Now the best part of this site....I am 100% confident it has never been searched until I did it, and I only spent about 2 hours at it and one heck of a lightening storm came up.....The bluff and the area I found the half cent has "that feeling"..you know. I am certain that there is probably a post hole bank or buried caches there......it's too remote and too far from a bank to make it feasible for someone that had money, (and the owners did back then), to go to a bank...So far, we are welcome, but I am worried that if we go too often we are going to arouse suspicion. Gregg was hysterical when I found the coin, he actually was the one that recovered it from the hole. I pinpointed it and he did the digging...I thought it was a button at first. He was holding it trying to see a date....then he said...."United States of America".....1794!..

I was hunting in Coin Mode, really not looking for artifacts. There are however, a lot of bullets there.....The members of the Satilla Hunting club do shoot in there a lot. The area has some earth mounds, and there is are lot of old English brick in there....(I know....I was drooling the whole time)....
  • Options
    Gaaah, I am still kicking myself for not going. If it had only been 24 hours later, I would've had the day off, but it came between two graveyard shifts. I had a feeling you would be rained on but in retrospect, I think it was worth it, eh?

I still wanna see your dug lovelies, including the latest addition, and PLEASE give me another chance to head out there with you the next time you go!

• Options
    Oh yea....you're going, no doubt. Too much area for just me to hunt. It was hot as he** though in the woods. Lots of humidity and no wind....at least until the rains came.image...
  • Options
    Yeah, knowing it was gonna be a scorcher and knowing I hadn't slept after getting off at 7 AM, besides hearing it was gonna rain, were all factors in my decision not to go. But taken individually, none of those would have stopped me. Had I not been preoccupied with a coin project and needing some shuteye, I would've gone anyway. As soon as you started talking about tabby and old brick, I was interested.

Speaking of which, there are both on this site Billy and I have been hunting near my house. Haven't gone back there since the day after my last Digger's Diary report (when I found the silver dime). But the next day was mostly sweaty and uneventful, except for a small brass suspender buckle. Even Billy has struck out the last couple times he went there, at least when I last spoke to him. But of course the spot still has potential, and if you are free to go there sometime, you're welcome to. We can do it sometime when it ain't so hot.

• Options
    Oh yea....I'm always ready.....It's always a timing issue with me, as you know.....But I'm up for it.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    What does GTI stand for? That is one sweet coin you found with that machine!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    GTI= "Graphic Target Imaging", or something like that. The top of the line (GTI) Garrett models have a little graph that not only does the usual target ID functions, but it also tells you the approximate size of the target.

• Options

<< <i>GTI= "Graphic Target Imaging", or something like that. The top of the line (GTI) Garrett models have a little graph that not only does the usual target ID functions, but it also tells you the approximate size of the target. >>

What would it tell you on this "cache" :-) It was about one foot down!

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    That would be "Size E", or "larger than 12 oz. can", if I remember correctly.

Size A is smaller-than-coin, Size B is coin-sized, C is silver-dollar-sized, I think, D is can-sized, and E is bigger. Something like that.

So if the GTI picked those cans out individually, they would probably read as size D. Together, they would read as E.

Me, I'm all about those Size A and Size B targets. image

• Options
    LOL....LM's right..It would have said the target was too big to be a coin....There's a learning curve on this detector, but as with all of them, the more you use it, the better you become.

• Options

<< <i>LOL....LM's right..It would have said the target was too big to be a coin....There's a learning curve on this detector, but as with all of them, the more you use it, the better you become. >>

Cool___ Thank You :-)

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm going to puke!
    Woah!!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    That's a winner!!

Nice work Steve!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going to puke!
    Woah!! >>

Imagine how I must feel. image

• Options
    Did u need permission to search the place ?
    I collect Vintage Low Grade cards

buy or trade for them

• Options
    He has permission.

That's the thing, though- the guy who invited him there has an unusual schedule (to say nothing of Steve and I having weird and often conflicting schedules), so opportunities to hunt the place will be limited.

I just hope I get another invitation.

• Options

<< <i> Did u need permission to search the place ? >>

Yea.....the guy I went with's aunt USED to be the caretaker there...she knows the current caretaker, and she asked them if it was alright for her nephew and I to hunt there....On the weekdays, a group of people from Florida and Georgia use it as a hunting/fishing club. It is only searchable after 12:00 noon on Sundays...That's the biggest problem, along with LM and my schedules...It's a great site, obviously, and it will be searched again. Another great thing, is the river that runs right by it too....ALL kinds of places to look.
  • Options

<< <i>That's the biggest problem, along with LM and my schedules... >>

Hmm. The next time you go and hunt that site, if I am scheduled to work, I predict I'm gonna suddlenly fall very sick with a 24-hour flu bug. Terribly unpredictable, those sudden viruses, y'know... image

• Options

<< <i> I predict I'm gonna suddlenly fall very sick >>

• Options

<< <i>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS GONNA GO WITH HIM, BUT I CANCELED!

imageimageimage >>

ROFL!!!! <sigh... poor Rob...>
    I will never expect or accept any less from a President than what he should do to make America the country it can be and should be.

Never tolerate spin-doctoring and lies told to the people in the name of 'security' from the elected officials.
  • Options
    Man, I am jealous! I used to metal detect - in fact, I used to post in this forum a few years back. I never found anything as cool as that half cent, that's for sure! I can confirm: you do suck! I'm a colonial coin collectors, so we are talking about some impressive sucking!
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    That is an awesome findimage..U don't see to many of them coming out of the ground at all now do weimage

Speechless..

just give him the banner now..don't even need to run a best coinimageimageimage
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!