Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

WOW! It's a sea of red in the complete Kennedy set!

Comments

• TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Don't tell Laura, she will be here to bash the collectors! image
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭
    They're really NOT being updated. I own them ALL, and I'm just interchanging coins between sets just to show there's an interest in all this modern junk. But, PLEASE don't tell Laura or she'll just bash me. It took you long enough to notice Russ! I was hoping you would join in so I could have some competition!

Seriously though, I started my set about 6 years ago since I couldn't do it as a kid. When I started, it was just a Dansco album and bolssomed since then. I completed my set and told a few others to start a complete set and they didn't want to complete a whole set. They were either interested in proofs or MS coins. Now, it looks like there is actually a few people interested in completing this challenging set! It's challenging because even if you had all the money in the world, you couldn't complete a "perfect" set. Ask Edson or Parke, they couldn't get the lone wolf 1969 in 70DCAM. Ask Richard about his hunt for the white whales-1964-P in MS 68, or the 82-D in 68, or the other POP 1 coins! Both Parke and Richard have outstanding sets of coins. Their quality is also outstanding as they are always trying to upgrade their coins to have the finest possible.

BUT, neither of them participate in the complete set category. Why? Because they have no interest in the otherside of the series, which is OK by me and others. We, that DO participate in the complete set, collect out of the love of the series and enjoy the challenge of the hunt! Some of us communicate with each other and try to help each other out by informing of possible upgrades that we already have. How many other series collectors do this? Many of them are cut throat collectors that will offer NO help, quite the opposite, they will buy something if it's a low POP so they won't be caught by others. There are also a couple of sets being built that are not yet registered in the registry. I also know of 2 sets that will probably never be registered. But, if they ever were registered, they would be at or near the top. I just helped out 2 people tonight with Kennedys, one with buying and the other with selling. I feel that's what it's all about! Not money or being #1. Sometimes we're here JUST TO HAVE FUN! Just my fifty cents. Ray

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• << <i>How many other series collectors do this? >>

The Roosie collectors do it all the time. Just go and check out the registry forum.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just go and check out the registry forum. >>

Where can we find the registry forum?

Russ, NCNE
  • Smart ass. image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My newest one doesn't count yet.
    In fact I only put it it in the Varitiey set for now. Waiting for them super grade Satin Finish coins to be released on the 18th.

*2006-P 6790 50C MS68 7 0 Not an orphan.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    doesn't that happen every year on current series when the new year gets added?
  • Actually, I do like the MS Kennedy halves and had a very nice set a couple of years ago.... top 5 at the time. I had to maek a decision to either let my kids eat and attend college or focus on either the MS or the proofs.... due to the sheer number of coins it takes to make a complete half dollar set I settled on proofs and am trying to complete a US Proof Half dollar series.... even though the PCGS registry does not recognize this as a set as they do the MS side of the fence.

You are right about the continual pursuit of better coins. Right now I can't even find a 2006 PR70DAM Kennedy that I like. I am willing to pay good dollars to any one that has one.

parke
  • I just don't have a passion for Proof's, I will put my effort into MS coins for now and if I find the fire for Proofs I may attempt to work on the side of the house. I'm working on upgrades right now. I still have 3 to find to get to 100% but it's been a fun ride for a budget set.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • #17 in the registry set has it right..........spare change image
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
    Hey guys the kid above me just sold me a upgrade. So I get to join in the red.
    Thanks to Caleb and Tim!!!

And hay Russ it's one of those Funny Hairs.
    LindeDad - We were glad to see that coin go to a good home, now if we can just have some slots in this set for our Orphans so they can come in from the cold.image
    Tim as you and I have said before it is a shame that a set that is called "Complete" does not have a place in it for both the Satin Finish and Circulation strike coins and some of the varieties.
    I have a hard time calling something like this a Orphan.
    That stuff in the date is gunk on the holder just noticed and cleaned it, will have to retake that picture.

<< <i>Tim as you and I have said before it is a shame that a set that is called "Complete" does not have a place in it for both the Satin Finish and Circulation strike coins and some of the varieties.
    I have a hard time calling something like this a Orphan. >>

I agree whole heartily with you, that is a nice looking business strike 2006P in MS68. Now if you can get a PCGS satin finish 2006P in MS69 or MS70 it would be a shame that the PCGS Registry won't allow you to display both the 2006P MS68 business strike plus the high end satin finish 2006P in the same set at the same time. (PCGS will make you keep one as an Orphan (shame on them).image