Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finds from my trip to New York

I just got back from upstate New York where I spent over 2 weeks with my girlfriend and her family. Her dad's house was built in the late teens or early 20s and I hit it hard over the two weeks I was there. The yard didn't produce much in the way of older Wheaties, but I did find this WWI collar disc there.

I detected a lot around the sidewalk that ran around the house. Around it were older Wheaties, including my new oldest coin, a 1912 Wheatie. I also found some from 1913, 14, 17(2), and 1919. The only silver I found at the house was a 1946-D Roosie near the sidewalk.

We also stayed at a camp in the Adirondack Mountains that was built around 1927. I found a 1928 Wheatie and this old pocketknife there. I guess it dates to the 20s or 30s.

The last place I got to detect was at my girlfriend's grandma's house and her great aunt's house. They were both built around 1951. After most of the afternoon in her grandma's yard I had around $1.00, including 6 Wheaties. I then moved to her great aunt's yard where I found 4 quick Wheaties and then nothing. So I moved on to the front yard where I was getting bad signals because of the overhead powerlines. I found a small padlock that says "Camel" on the front. Has anyone heard of this brand? I then got a few feet in front of the sidewalk at the front door and got what was a pretty good signal and out pops this 1938 Walking Liberty Half!

It's my 2nd WLH, but still no silver quarters. All in all I found 28 Wheaties and 2 silver coins along with some cool relics.
I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Sweet finds SD!!
  • Options
    Thanks Phut! I forgot to mention that I found a James K. Polk Presidential Token like CrockofCoins' Harrison one. I also found this small compact from Lady Esther. It's only 1 1/4" in diameter and the front says "Lady Esther" & "Chicago." The back says "Dear Madam, Don't expect best results from Lady Esther Rouge unless you carefully follow instructions shown in 'My Rouge Guide' Cordially, Lady Esther. Shade No. 4 Made in U.S.A." I found out the company started in the late 30s or early 40s. Anyone heard of Lady Esther?

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    << Her dad's house was built in the late teens/early 20s >>

Wow, that house took a long time to build.

Nice collection you have there, SD.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds SD.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very productive there, Silverdreams. I've yet to find a WLH.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, Dreamy Silver Dude.

I've only managed to find two Walkers, ever. And your first was an early date, so you have me beat in that category.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Lady Esther is a cosmetic line that is still in business. Great finds!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice half!! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    Very nice finds SD. I found a Lady Esther tin a few years ago.
    Looks like mine is Shade #5:

image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    Nice finds!....Walking Half! WTGimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Yo SD. Who said you could come to NY and steal my coins and relics?
    There MINE I tell ya! ALL MINE!

Good jobimage
  • Options
    WTG!!!! Great finds...HH
  • Options
    Wow!

Lovely finds steve!

ALOT of coins!
    TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad your half wasn't a 1938-D, but I'm sure you're quite happy with it anyway!
  • Options
    Yeah, when I found it and saw 1938, I flipped it over hoping to see a D mintmark, but I'm happy with it nonetheless.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds there. Even nicer in person. I like that rouge case, it's pretty nifty. I'll have to look up your lock in that book I have when I get time.
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Excellent work SD!

Congrats!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, SD, I was clearing out my long-neglected hotmail inbox and deleting all the junk when I saw you'd emailed me about some of this stuff. Sorry I never got back to you. I don't mess with email much unless I have to, preferring to use PMs here.

Besides the spam, so many folks forward jokes and other stuff that it sometimes gets to be a chore wading through my email.

(Sorry, Mom, but I know you're not reading this so I guess I'm OK.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.