Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 - D Speared Bison Nickels - What's with the price?

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know why these 2005 D Speared Bison nickels are commanding such high prices lately?
PCGS just keeps raising the value on these.....WHAT"S UP?

Anyone ever find one in a 50 roll bank box or 2 roll box from the mint?

Comments

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    I have one!
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i`ve got 1 unopened 2 roll box... what are my chances of finding some?
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the incremental changes upward ? the answer is RARITY... after the initial discovery, it was believed thousands would come to market. That didn't happen.

the chances of finding them are slim as it was an early die error. I believe it was February of '05 when discovered. Subsequent searches have yielded no more. So, like most rarities, the price continues an upward trend.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where were the majority of these speared bisons found and can there still be some more in unopened bank rolls?

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    The 2005 D Speared Bison Nickel is an interesting Mint Error coin. I purchased several from a coin dealer here in central Texas beginning several months ago. I understand that these rare reverse die gouge coins were found only in East Texas and few other Texas areas. The coins may have been minted on only one coin press and only for a short period of time. The coins showed up in couier boxes with coins that came through the Dallas Fereral Reserve and dated in Early March, 2005. I have not heard of any being found in the two roll, mint boxes. If so, maybe there will be some in the 200+ boxes of Bison Mint boxes that I have on hand !! I am not expecting to find any from that source.

I live in South Central Texas and I have not found any Speared Bison Nickels in any of the unsearched boxes that I acquired from local banks.
    It is said that only a 1,000 examples exist. Time will tell !!

There are a handful of very serious collectors that own several of these rare coins. I was fornuate to have two of the nickels grade PCGS MS 66 and the rest MS 65 and MS 64. My main interest is in accumulating the scarce Wisconsin D Extra Leaf State Quarters but I feel that an investor may get some idea of the future value of the Wisconsin Variety Quarters by watching the Speared Bison Nickel market. Personally, I find that the values that PCGS have assigned for the MS 65 and MS 66 Speared Bisons is well below the Ebay market prices for this coin. I would expect to see future price increases for PCGS prices in the future.

I like the rare Bison nickels because they are not coming out of the woodwork as prices have steadily risen !! Many of the people who found this coin originally have all but sold out of them in just over a year. I think that it is too late in the market making process for one individual to control the Speared Bison market. I do not plan to offer my holdings anytime soon !!

Another point of interest is the fact that very, very few Speared Bison Nickels have shown up in circulation. Contrary to the Wisconsin Extra leaf Quarters, the news of this scarce nickel spread in the few East Texas areas very quickly and it appears most were discovered before they became pocket change !! The quarters ended up in Arizonia slot machines and change machines as well in the holdings of a few dealers/speculators !!

I trust that this information maybe of help to you. Mark Smith.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    Apparently, they are being found in the mint rolled sets with the bar code 0000 !
  • Options
    Well i just bought a box with that bar code 0000 the other night and there was one coin with a mark going right through the center of the buffalos 5th leg..I posted it on here for everyone to see...Just type in the search bar for 2000 D and you will see it...Let me know...I never seen so many errors in the roll with the Denver Mint..
  • Options
    Purchased two roll box with 0000 bar code found no speared bison, but I must say i have found circulated coins that dont look as rough as these.
    If you must advance to the rear,burn the fields and salt the water supply!
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the bar code was the issue, but the date of manufacture for the mint rolls. The early mint set rolls had a better chance of containing these coins...

Strange how so many have dogged this coin... but, the price keeps climbing... time was PCGS MS64s were selling for $400... now $1200... might have been a good investment for some. Probably time to send in my herd...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the bar code was the issue, but the date of manufacture for the mint rolls. The early mint set rolls had a better chance of containing these coins...

Strange how so many have dogged this coin... but, the price keeps climbing... time was PCGS MS64s were selling for $400... now $1200... might have been a good investment for some. Probably time to send in my herd...

Steve >>

Apparently this coin is catching on and it's probably BECAUSE of the fact almost everyone
    had nothing good to say about it. There's no such thing as bad press; there's only attention
    or no attention. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Searched through two bricks of 05 D's nada. Will search my two roll boxes from the Mint next.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I have 16 mint P&D rolls I bought for a little return in the next few years. They have the 0000 barcode and seeing how the mint is still selling these P&D Rolls in 06, I think I'll break open about 6 sets and see if I can find an injured buffalo.
  • Options
    Whats the big deal with these anyway..IT IS JUST A DIE GOUGE !!!!! image
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    from what I heard from someone who bought their speared bisons from the person who discovered the speared bison they were all found in bank rolls "none" were found in mint rolls as everyone would want you to beleive on ebay
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>from what I heard from someone who bought their speared bisons from the person who discovered the speared bison they were all found in bank rolls "none" were found in mint rolls as everyone would want you to beleive on ebay >>

amen.

I was offered 500 cash plus a speared bison in trade for an MS66 Low leaf in PCGS holder before the prices of either were listed. I opted for $867 for the quarter with no trade
    image x 2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file