Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: Would you like to see the Satin Finish and Business Strikes together?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
If we get enough votes maybe PCGS will put all of the 2005-Date coins in all of the sets together. I certainly am voting YES to include all of the Business Strike coins with all of the Satin Finish coins in all of the PCGS sets.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my Satins listed in my variety sets only as I feel that is where they belong.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    If PCGS is placing 2005 Satin Finish coins in holders and labeling them as Satin Finish as well as placing 2005/2006 Circulation/Business Strike coins in holders with different coin numbers than they should both have a spot in registry sets. image
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Paul,

I answered “Yes” but would like to qualify it.

First, let’s look at both types of coins (Satin Finish & Business Strike) and then what registry set they are going into. What is a “Business Strike” coin? Is the “Satin Finish” coin the same as a “Business Strike”?

On PCGS’s home page, they have a link to a page called “Lingo”. On this “Lingo” page, PCGS defines:
    BUSINESS STRIKE as “A regular issue coin, struck on regular planchets by dies given normal preparation. These are the coins struck for commerce that the Mint places into circulation.”
    CIRCULATION STRIKE as “An alternate term for Business Strike or Regular Strike. A coin meant for commerce.”
    SATIN FINISH as “Another of the experimental Proof surfaces used on U.S. gold coins after 1907. The dies were treated in some manner to create the silky surfaces imparted to the coins.”

Now if CIRCULATION STRIKE is an alternate term for BUSINESS STRIKE then the opposite must be true (BUSINESS STRIKE is an alternate term for CIRCULATION STRIKE). So if the registry set is purporting to be a set of CIRCULATION STRIKE coins should it have Satin Finish coins in it? Were the Satin finish coins “struck for commerce” or were they “A coin meant for commerce”?

Two, PCGS has given the 2005 business strike and satin finish coins different and unique certification numbers. If the registry set is purporting to be a set of uncirculated coins with Varieties, should both BUSINESS STRIKE and SATIN FINISH coin be in this set?

Three, if the registry set is purporting to being "A Complete Sets", just one example would be the Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present): This set has slots for MS coins, SMS coins, Silver Proof coins, Clad Proof coins and even a coin with Accent Hair. Basically if the US Mint made the coin different and unique it was given its own slot in the set. Should both BUSINESS STRIKE and SATIN FINISH coin be in this set?

As someone said in an earlier thread, this is not ‘rocket science’; PCGS should be able to straighten this out easy if they wanted to.

JMHO,
    Tim

fff
  • Options
    according to the mint the current satin finish coins are only in the mint sets
    and are not the ones produced for circulation that you can get (if lucky ) from
    the banks, and you can only get the satin finish coins when you buy mint sets
    from the US mint.
    TIm
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Hi Paul, good question. I voted no.

I think the sf coins should be considered a variety coin. If you consider this definition: “Another of the experimental Proof surfaces used on U.S. gold coins after 1907. The dies were treated in some manner to create the silky surfaces imparted to the coins” then quite possibly they should be considered a proof variety. And the above definition should be revised to include clad coins also.

Most of the registry sets are listed as circulation strikes, circulation strikes w/varieties, proof strikes, and proof strikes w/varieties. Then there is the 2005 mint set. With this in mind there are only 2 places for the sf struck coins by definition of strike and by registry set title. That would be proof strikes w/varieties and the 2005 mint set registry.

Of course I am biased. I don't like that the mint changed the strike on the statehood quarters. They should have left it alone till the end of the series. They took a very successful program and added nothing but confusion IMHO.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Paul,

I wonder if the people voting "no" are just voting that way because they want the sets in the registry purporting to be of Circulation Strikes truely made up of coins "meant for commerce".

I was looking at your dime collection, and I noticed that unlike my Kennedy's, PCGS does not have a set in the registry for a set of Roosevelt Dimes Complete Collection (1946 - Present). With my Kennedy collection, PCGS allowed MS, SMS, Silver Proof, Clad Proof and even an Accent Hair in one set, but I noticed that there is no set in the Registry to have both the MS and Proof dimes. How is this fair? If they allow someone to have a Complete set of Kennedys, then they should have a corresponding set for the other demominations.

Tim
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Paul,

I wonder if the people voting "no" are just voting that way because they want the sets in the registry purporting to be of Circulation Strikes truely made up of coins "meant for commerce".

I was looking at your dime collection, and I noticed that unlike my Kennedy's, PCGS does not have a set in the registry for a set of Roosevelt Dimes Complete Collection (1946 - Present). With my Kennedy collection, PCGS allowed MS, SMS, Silver Proof, Clad Proof and even an Accent Hair in one set, but I noticed that there is no set in the Registry to have both the MS and Proof dimes. How is this fair? If they allow someone to have a Complete set of Kennedys, then they should have a corresponding set for the other demominations.

Tim >>

I have been asking for, (although not lately because I gave up), for the 1946-Date Roosie set. I only have the SF in my set because I do not possess the BS ones as of yet. They are extremely scarce at this point. I'm a true believer in the BS and only have the SF beacuse, well I collect Roosies and they are truely different. If I had both of the 2005-P/D in say MS66FB's, I would certainly remove the SF ones and add the BS, even if it means it will drop me a total of 5 points. I do not care about the points, I would rather just go with what I stated.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I voted yes. If the results are not a landslide YES, I doubt PCGS will even consider it. I'm actually surprised that there are not more YES's in the bunch. After my vote, it was 19 YES's to 11 NO's.

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Folks,
    IMHO PCGS will set up COMPLETE sets of all current denominations including ROOSEVELT. They have Lincoln and Kennedy now. Why not the others? Probably a matter of priorities for them. I would suggest Paul send a email to BJ Sears and find out if it is on the drawing board. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    No! They should maintain a circulation strike set (BS), and a variety set which would include satin finish.
    It would not be fair to those of us that have maintained the business strikes, and have spent the time and money
    to locate them. As far as designations go if it came out of a bag or roll, it is a business strike.
    If it comes out of the 2005 mint set it is a satin finish coin.
    2006 mint sets have yet to be seen so the jury is out.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with the above way of thinking. Give SF coins a place, but restore the BS coins to "THEIR" rightful place.
    Dan