Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

2 Dropped letter Error Finds this month

This 2002 Ohio State Quarter was found while searching through a $25.00 US Mint Bag. This one was also featured in the July 18th issue of Coin World, Collectors Clearinghouse / Errors & varieties

This 1999 Lincoln was just found today as I looked at a few 1999 mint sets, yep it is in the mint set!!!

Cool stuff

Comments

• XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Nice Find Micheal............I saw the article. What did you counterstamp it through the cello? Just kidding.
    Cool Finds.........Take care
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool errors. I've never found any, but certainly would not mind owning a couple. Congratulations.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    drop letters are way cool. I always liked em but didnt understand the concept till I read the article a few weeks back.

I always thought it ment the letter came off the die itself, not a grease-mettalic crust being the culprit

way cool on the scaleimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Cool errors. I've never found any, but certainly would not mind owning a couple. Congratulations. >>

so theres actually some errors left out there, that you don't haveimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!!! From what I understand quiet rare to find. I too was unaware as to how this type of error was produced, until now. Here is how it was explained by CW:

A letter recess on the die fills with gunk, which becomes hardened under pressure of repeated strikes and then drops out intact. This piece is hard enough that it is struck into the next coin. (The impression should be sunken into the surface of the coin.) The retention of some original "gunk" in the dropped letter is regarded as a nice bonus, a pretty rare error.

The Lincoln is on it's way to CW, might just make it into an upcoming issue. image
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool errors. I've never found any, but certainly would not mind owning a couple. Congratulations. >>

so theres actually some errors left out there, that you don't haveimage >>

image There's still quite a few left Bill. image Thank you very much...But, I am still looking. image
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    We have sent the Ohio off to PCGS under Error service. Not sure if they will place it in a Mint Error holder or not, we'll see

<< <i>Nice Find Micheal............I saw the article. What did you counterstamp it through the cello? Just kidding. >>

Walt, Hoping to find an X counterstamp for image