Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The US Mint

<< <i>WASHINGTON – The United States Mint announced today that it will begin selling the 2006 United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set on July 18, 2006, at 12:00 noon (ET), featuring the popular satin finish that was introduced last year. >>

The POPULAR SATIN FINISH that was introduced last tear.
POPULAR to WHO????
Not circulation strike collectors for sure.
Not Proof strike collectors for sure.
I think if asked, 3 out of four collectors would want to go back to the way mint sets were made before 2005.
Dan

Comments

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I Know

The Satin Finish Collector's??? image

They love'em, Being able to use them in Circulation Strike sets help's boost those registry set ratings up nicely image
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Oh Yes...We LOVE THEM dearly. See now even I can make a MS69..........Yeah, Yeah.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT.

Good one Micheal.

That's it, I'm getting rid of ALL my Circ (Business) Strike coins and sticking with SATIN FINISH Only from now on.............

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They love'em, Being able to use them in Circulation Strike sets help's boost those registry set ratings up nicely >>

What's the BIG DEAL? Everybody can do the same thing so NOONE has an advantage that someone else doesn't have?????

Makin' a BIG DEAL out of nothing!!!!!

JMHO,,,,,,, that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's. (At least I think it will? I don't drink coffee and have NO IDEA what a cup costs at McDonalds?)

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the BIG DEAL? Everybody can do the same thing so NOONE has an advantage that someone else doesn't have????? >>

<< <i>JMHO,,,,,,, that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's. (At least I think it will? I don't drink coffee and have NO IDEA what a cup costs at McDonalds?) >>

Might want to try a cupimage
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see MS69 PCGS Satin finish worth $20.00.
    Now tell me why that MS68 cost $300.00?
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    If it weren't for satin finish coins, what would the Registry Forum do for action? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info image
  • TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>I think if asked, 3 out of four collectors would want to go back to the way mint sets were made before 2005. >>

I think you might be a little low with your estimate. Three out of four means that twenty-five percent of collectors want the Satin Finish and I think that is very high. I bet the real figure would be ten percent or under that prefer the Satin Finish over the Business Strike.

I was reading somewhere on the history of the US Mint (I will try to find out where I read it and post it here) that the reason they started selling annual mint sets was so the collector could get one example of each denomination from all branches of the Mint of coinage issued that year meant for commerce. (The early mint sets I think had two examples of each coin in it.) Seems like the US Mint forgot why they started issueing uncirculated sets because these Satin Finish coins were never meant for commerce. PCGS screwed up last year by naming the coins from the 2005 uncirculated sets Satin Finish, they should have named them for what they were "SMS" like they did on the 1998S Silver uncirculated Kennedy Half Dollar.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Satin Finish coins, they give us something else to collect, but they shouldn't replace the Business Strike coins just augment them.

The truely sad part about the Satin Finish coins is the way PCGS has treated them in the registry. The regisrty has sets purporting to being "Complete Sets", just one example would be the Kennedy Half Dollar Complete Set (1964 - Present): This set has slots for MS coins, SMS coins, Silver Proof coins, Clad Proof coins and even a coin with Accent Hair. Basically if the US Mint made the coin different and unique it was given its own slot in the set until last year with the 2005 uncirculated sets. Somehow PCGS decided that the Satin Finish coins from 2005 were not to augment the regisry sets so they came up with their solution of either / or and forced the collector into choicing which ones to put into their sets and at the same time denied the collector from putting both types (Satin Finish and Business Strikes) into these sets purporting to being "Complete Sets".

Just My Humble Opinion,
    Timimage

EDITED for spelling.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS could right the wrong IMHO and include BOTH Satin Finish & Business Strike coins in the sets. Sure it would be more expensive to collect them all, but this is the logical thing to do. AND...being a true collector of whatever coin you choose, wouldn't you want both anyway?

Just my humble opinion also!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ask BJ if she would put both in the Complete Dime Set and se said no.

I sure would like to have both in "OUR" set.

Jon
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't even allow both in the varity sets. And it is easier to tell the diference in a satin finish and circulation coin, than a 1974 DDO and a regular.

<< <i>I ask BJ if she would put both in the Complete Dime Set and se said no.

I sure would like to have both in "OUR" set.

Jon >>

I always thought that if the "Collectors" wanted it, then PCGS would do it. I mean whos collecting these anyway PCGS or US?

You have now a second vote to include all MS & SF dimes in the complete dime set.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>I always thought that if the "Collectors" wanted it, then PCGS would do it. I mean whos collecting these anyway PCGS or US? >>

I will go out on a limb here and say that If PCGS would do a survy of all set holders of mordern "Complete Sets", two thirds of the set holders would want both the Satin Finish and Business Strike examples for 2005 & 2006 in their respected sets if allowed by PCGS.

My son and I can't understand why PCGS is being so pig headed about this issue, like other collectors have stated, "We should be able to have the sets that we want to collect." I have to wonder if it is about ego with PCGS, NGC came out with their anouncement last year that they were going to call the coins from the new uncirculated sets "SMS". After NGC's press release, PCGS desided to call the coins in the new uncirculated sets "Satin Finish" which sounds like they didn't want people thinking that they were following NGC's lead.

If PCGS wanted to fix this problem, they could, but I'm beginning to think that they don't give a damm as to what the collecting community wants, heck have they even cleaned up their population reports with the Satin Finish and Business Strike coinage?

Again, just my humble opinion,
    Timimage
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to see the SMS dimes from 1965-1967 put in our Complete Dime Set.

Jon
  • now that my curiousity is killing me which is the 74 DDO #1 or #2?

<< <i>I would also like to see the SMS dimes from 1965-1967 put in our Complete Dime Set.

Jon >>

Jon:

I believe that when PCGS comes out with the 1796-Date complete Proof Dime set, that these will go there. They are S.M.S. PL with Cameo and DCameo devices and deserve to be with the proofs.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.