Home Stamps Forum
Options

Collection advice - new to the stamp trade.

Hello all, I'm hoping to find some help in what to do with this collection I have acquired. I am 21 and have no idea about stamps aside from what I've recently read on the internet.

The collection I have is from my grandpa - it is from all over the world, doesn't seem like he kept to anything specific, unless you can call 'everything' specific?

Years range from the 1800's to 1980's I suppose, 1800's being mostly the end of the century I am assuming, obviously I haven't looked at each stamp, just browsed.

I have tons of envelopes full, organized by country, also 8 scott catalog things with stamps hinged inside - I've read that is bad now? Wasn't bad then? I dont know. Some first day issue things, some first day issue things in 22/23k(forgot which) gold, mint sheets(newer 70s 80s I think)

I need to find out a way to further organize them - and how to store/organize them.

Is something like this worthwhile over the internet? http://www.libertystreet.com/StampMng.htm?source=google3&gclid=CLGRwZCO24UCFUAaJAodIkw2uw

Or better to buy the 6-8 pricing catalogs rather than the internet organizer/pricer thing above?

Not sure what I have in store for them - save them - after learning stuff-get into it? - sell them?

I have a little experience with collecting, I have basketball cards from when I was younger - stamps seem to be a little harder =)

Thanks for any advice/help. =)

Comments

• Options
    Here's an idea that won't cost you a dime(to check values that is). Check out the reference section of your local library. They should have a set of Scott Stamp Catalogs for A to Z countries. Just take some of your stamps with you that you need info on. As far as organization goes if they are used they are probably safe to use hinges on although a black Prinz or Scott mount will protect better(and cost more) So are you wanting to actually put them in binders or store them in envelopes only well organized? If you want to find some real deals on world binders etc., Check Ebay frequently as it is possible to get some real cheap deals on used accessories.
  • Options
    Just a follow-up on what edueku said. Don't be too concerned if the Scott Catalogs are outdtaed by a few years. Most libraries don't replace them on a yearly basis. But, there should be enough pricing info for you to determine if you have something of value....i.e. if you have a stamp whose value is shown as .25 3 years ago, then chances are it's still worth .25. But, if you have a stamp worth $50 three years ago, chances are it may be worth $50 plus today.

Jerry