Home Stamps Forum
Options

THE TRUTH ABOUT MALACKWEB

We take offense to the disparaging and slanderous statements and comments being posted about Malackweb. Our reputation speaks for itself. We have been in business for over 20 years and our customer satisfaction is unparalleled. We are extremely confused as to why edueku (we have no idea who this person is, as he never furnishes an email address or a name for a response) seems to have a vendetta against us (maybe because we have outbid him on Ebay where he also hides his identity as Premiumgems**) We have been receiving continuous emails, that flood our mailbox and take up our time, in respect to items we are offering on Ebay from this very same person for the past 4 months now. These emails include nothing except the occasional jab at us for a typo or description that he does not agree with. This is the only communication, that we know of, with this gentleman. We would like to thank this person for putting our name out there though, as we are sure that many of you will come to our site and read our terms and decide for yourselves that we are one of the most RELIABLE, HONEST, KNOWLEDGEABLE and HELPFUL stamp companies in the United States.
Yes, we do write our opinion as to what we feel a stamp should have been graded, but we also tell you the ACTUAL PSE GRADE that it was given TWICE per lot description (no deception there). Just remember that all certificates and grades given by the Professional Grading and Certification Companies are also opinions and are subjective. Here is some information to show you what we mean by giving our opinion of the grade versus the actual grade given. Rotary press stamps are usually much smaller than flat plate series stamps! The Offset Series of 1918-1920 were plagued by paper problems and poor gumming, The Overrun countries in general are a large well centered stamp, so 95's are going to be easy to find. These are things we have noticed over the past 20 years in business and we feel that this information is important to our customers in determining the value of what they are purchasing. We literally see thousands of Quality stamps each week. Yes, the PSE certainly does take points off for some inclusions, gum skips, guidelines, and fingerprints to name a few. We have had penciled in notes on the actual cards the stamps were returned in from the PSE that stated "grade reduced, gum skips". So, the PSE does take points off for these things, unlike what edueku says (where is he getting his information from). We in no way mislead or deceive our customers into thinking they are getting something that they aren't.
We offer a LIKE IT OR RETURN IT, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED on each and every stamp that we sell (I wonder why that wasn't mentioned in these postings). ALL of our customers are given the opportunity to return ANY item that they are unhappy with within 10 days for a full refund with no questions asked (also on our site, wasn't mentioned in these postings). We hold an impeccable reputation with Linn's Stamp News, the APS, the ASDA, and Ebay. Our feedback rating on Ebay speaks for itself. In the last 6 months we have received 557 POSITIVE comments and zero negative or neutral comments. We treat our customers with RESPECT and give them the knowledge they ask for. If we were the unscrupulous company that we are accused of being, would we have a feedback rating like this? We invite each and every one of you to come to our site, read our terms, conditions, and guarantees and decide for yourselves what the truth really is.
By the way here is the "COMPLETE" QUOTE directly off of our web-site (notice how the entire paragraph was edited) that edueku had so much fun with on June 7th. We aren't quite sure why edueku thinks this is so funny or what is he trying to do.

" We will still be listing our stamps in the grade that we feel they should be, because of new policies by both the PSE and PF we feel this gives you the collector more insight into what to expect from a certain issue. A PLUS (+) sign next to the grade indicates that either the stamp's grade was reduced by the PSE or PF due to a minor production flaw that does not detract from the appearance of a stamp or in our expert opinion the stamp should be graded higher due to special circumstances, please read our descriptions. Some stamps are available with large margins, while other issues are known with only small margins and we feel that just a numeric grade does not give you the entire story. So please read our descriptions and if you should have any questions please by all means give us a call as we are always happy to answer any questions or comments you have. Our website is designed with the collector in mind (quick loading), so if you would like to view a color photo just CLICK on the BLUE WORD 'PHOTO' just after the price. If you click on the PHOTO button
and the photo does not appear, please tell us the lot number and we will fix the problem. We do not show PHOTOS for some of the more common ENCAPSULATED stamps, because we either cannot get a good scan because of the holder and or we may have more than one in stock. If you need a photo please ask and we will be happy to send you one."

We would like for all of the email writing to stop as it is not doing any of us any good. If edueku has a problem we are here to discuss it. We always welcome comments and look forward to the day that edueku contacts us in a way, without hiding his identity, so that we can respond to the issues that he seems to have with us. Any further postings in relation to our company will receive this same exact response, as we refuse to take up time that can be better spent giving our customers our full attention.

WWW.MALACK.COM
Steve Malack Stamps is a leading United States Dealer who strives for total customer satisfaction. We BUY and SELL all U.S. stamps and coins. We pay more than market prices for all GRADED items. Please offer. SERVICE - INTEGRITY - KNOWLEDGE - PRICE Since 1986 Steve

Comments

• Options
    Steve,

You have every right to merchandise your inventory as you deem fit, as do all dealers. Your website has a good discussion of why you believe grading is not right in some instances regarding certain stamps. Many of these critiques have been answered by PSE. For instance, if a certain category of stamp will tend to grade higher, the population chart will show this. But, my 85 graded stamp, if graded accurately, will not be "better" than a 95 of the same type.

You are to be congratulated for embracing the Grading that is effecting our hobby and commenting on it. I think we can have an intelligent dialogue which can be beneficial to dealers and customers. While I did not write the email you responded to, I do agree that it is not appropriate to wrongfully disparage anybody, and I hope your business is booming with satisfied customers. You have a great guarantee.

For years, the two must overused terms by dealers and auctioneers have been "Gem" and "Superb" when selling stamps to collectors. I can tell you exactly what the terms mean to PSE and the standards they review before they make such a Classification statement. Your Web currently says the follwing re: Scott #7:

"7 SUPERB JUMBO, nice light cancel, bottom sheet margin Choice!! $325.00

7 SUPERB, nice light pen cancel, fresh with nice color $135.00 PHOTO

7 80 XF-SUPERB, w/PSE (GRADED 80 (01/06)) CERT, which by no means reflects the condition of this stamp. This stamp looks nicer than the 85's we have. Four totally clear margins and a light cancel. $360.00 PHOTO

7 85 SUPERB, w/PSE (GRADED 85 (4/05)) CERT, A wonderful stamp with large margins and nice light town cancel. A GEM!! $475.00"

What do the terms "Superb" and "Gem" mean to you? How do you rate a "Superb" stamp as you define it? Is there something better than a Gem or Superb stamp? I was fortunate (or not, depending on how you look at it) to acquire a #7 95J at the Siegel Rarities Sale this Spring. That stamp is getting close to being "superb." You can go to the Siegel web and look for yourself. How would you describe that stamp given that a stamp you offer for $325 you call a "Superb Jumbo?" Possibly mine would be a "Super Superb Jumbo."

However, over a quarter of the #7's graded by PSE are above the graded 85 you advertise and which you call "superb." Some may question why you call that #7 "superb." If they are knowledgable collectors, they may wonder how 75% of your #7 stamps you rate as "Superb" or how a PSE Graded 85 can be a "Gem" stamp.

The great thing about third party grading is that there are standards for these terms. If you disagree, you can even send your stamp back with reasons why you think they are wrong. So long as PSE or PF remain consistent over time for the same stamps, we can compare similar stamps for various attributes which make up a grade. As a customer, and I imagine a dealer when purchasing stock, I would think an independent grade would help differentiate a stamp on a consistent basis and give some credibility to the claim that a stamp was a Gem, Superb or possibly just Very Fine or whatever.

Possibly you do not think a fingerprint makes a difference, but would you rather have a stamp with a pristine gum or one with a fingerprint? Most of us want one pristine over the fingerprinted one so why not grade that stamp higher? It should make a difference and does at auction.

Being a reputable dealer, I am certain you appreciate that Grading keeps dealers on a level playing field because a dealer that overly exaggerates the condition and desirability of his inventory does not reap the rewards of such wrongful antics. The Grade keeps that under check.

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to buying from you in the future. You have an excellent site that I keep in my "favorites."

William Merlin
  • Options
    The quote I gave was word for word. Perhaps you have changed some of the wording in a different area of your site.Maybe you have different wording elsewhere in which case you might want to be consistent and make all areas say the same thing. I just checked the paragraph I quoted on your site and it is different than the one you quote. The paragragh I quoted said nothing about"A + sign next to the grade indicates that either the stamps grade was ..." (etc) I'm not going to write a long paragraph about all of the selling tactics you guys use or the item I bought from you that you offered a partial refund on and not even my shipping costs back(I'm over that). I received catalogs/lists from you guys before you jumped on the graded bandwagon. Same types of descriptions same tactics(without the 3rd party grades). To try to get a young,beginning,inexperienced collector into paying 20 or 30 bucks for an ungraded .20 CV cent stamp is unethical to say the least. I am entitled to my own opinion about what I see in the market place as unethical, as an american citizen. You've never outbid me on anything I can remember and have no 'vendetta'against you. Want to see an ethical dealer? Look at Steve Crippe's website grade stamps that stand on their own grades. Rarely do you see him making excuses for grades, either you buy it or you don't.(I have no affiliation with him and he has nothing to do with my own personal opinions I just think he is the best graded stamp dealer)
    The ol' "Superb for issue" argument you give to cast doubt on 3rd party grading of certain stamps or issues is DEAD. This is an argument that ALWAYS goes in favor of the SELLER.If we make exceptions for condition because of the circumstances of every given issue,problem, weather, planetary alignment then you will have to say goodbye to 98's selling for hundreds of times the Scott value. Why? Because then every other stamp has an EXCUSE as to why it is Superb instead of VF-Xf etc. The tough high grades are why you can sell them for such a very high multiple of catalog value(and profit)as a dealer. I wish every stamp I submitted as a 98 was graded 98. Guess what? Out of all of the stamps submitted I've only gotten 35 98's or higher. Once again any experienced collector knows about the production problems on the various early issues. THATS WHY THE HIGH GRADES OF THESE ISSUES SELL FOR SO MUCH!!!!!
    So PSE's certs are just opinions? Well that's true! So on how many of your 98's do you say," Wow, they've really OVERGRADED this one. We've downgraded this to a 95 and will sell it to you at the SMQ price for that grade." I would bet none! So really if the grade is TOO low it's just an 'opinion' but if it is a really high grade (i.e. 98)than it's 2.5 times the SMQ value?! C'MON! The logic should swing both ways shouldn't it?
    As far as refunds and satisfaction guaranteed, how many of you collectors would go to a used car dealer and return 14 defective cars before you got one that wasn't a lemon?! I bet you would go somewhere else after the first one! Why is the stamp hobby the type that if you want what you pay for you have to return and return and return and it's touted as a great benefit.?! By the way although they have had no negatives in the past 6 months THEY HAVE 13 NEGATIVES TOTAL which is alot regardless of positives. You can check this out for YOURSELVES on ebay, "it's right there." Just check under "malackweb." No untruth here.
    Anyone who wants to see malack's prices wording etc merely needs to go to their site and look it over and form their own opinion. I haven't stated anything that is untrue as far as I see it and there is more than one person on this board that agrees with me. Take a look at Wmerlins post as it is a very tactful discussion of #7's and is right along the lines of what I have been saying about descriptions given of their stamps that I have written in previous posts to his.