Home Metal Detecting
Options

Treasures of the sea * Updated Jul 30 one last time *

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
*** Final update ***

This is the final bump of my little water hunting adventure.
The MXT is screaming for attention, and I wouldn't mind staying on dry land for some old coins myself.
Autumn is quickly coming too, so I've packed up the water machine. Will have another go next June image

Here's the last round of finds:
* 18k gold ring, 5.67 grams. Ring is made in 1918
* 3 silver rings (2 * 0.925, 1 * 0.813)

Total water finds from the past three weeks (9 gold, 8 silver):

On the gold side, I have the following:
37.65 grams in 18k gold (after deducting an estimated 1.5 grams for the stone in one of the rings)
10.23 grams in 14k gold

--> 34.22 grams (1.10 oz) gold weight. At current spot of $635/oz, this results in about $700 bullion value.

This distribution of 18k vs. 14k is quite unusual. It's caused by the numerous 1910's/1920's rings I've found, several of which quite close together.
This is largely thanks to a discussion with an elderly gentleman I had while land detecting last summer, as he pointed out things that led me to search closely in this area. Almost none of the old gold rings were "easy" targets - most of them only gave faint signals and I had to dig big time to get to them.

Besides jewelry and coins (only 1900's, oldest one was 1909), I picked up all sorts of random stuff as well. Like this:

* Bullet casing (made in 1916). Found tons of these, but kept this particular one due to being slightly older and with nice markings
* Toy airplane with German markings
* Hair pin
* Several numbered tags
* Fishing lures
* Gearshift knob (4 forward gears + reverse). What on earth was this one doing in nearly 5 foot deep water far from shore...? image
* Two horsemen (heads missing as usual)

Happy hunting!

-Z

PS. Dubba - thanks for the info on the belly button thing! Hmm.... I wonder if I shouldn't make an extra effort in getting in touch with the owner of this particular find... Such a shame they don't come with phone numbers engraved... imageimage

*** update Jul 19 ***

Got myself a few more image
I think I'm getting the hang of this water machine now!

18k gold Ring is made in 1963

18k gold Ring is made in 1926. Huge ring, very heavy!!

18k gold Ring is made in 1920

Gold ring
Now then, this one has me really excited! It came out of the water shining like only gold can.
It was of irregular shape though, far from perfectly round. It's fairly small but not extremely so; I can easily fit in properly on my little finger (but not on my ring finger).

I was looking for a hallmark but instead found some crude engravings inside. No chance of reading them until i got home.
This is when things got exciting. Here's a composite image of the inside of the ring.

It's Swedish and reads: Eirik..died..19 July..1725.
It looks like a previous inscription has been removed and replaced by this. The "5" at the end appears to first have been written partly on top of some sort of marking and doesn't show properly - therefore another 5 has been added at the end? Eirik is a man's first name.

One can come up with different theories, but the immediate one to me would be a husband having died and the widow either having worn this ring with a new inscription (and lost it in the water), or having disposed of the ring on purpose.
The potential age of this thing, combined with it being gold, is such that I'll have to have some more knowledgeable people look at it.
I suppose it could be my best find to date..

14k gold

14k gold

14k gold
Extremely thin, weighs almost nothing. It's 14k though, and gave me the rush of seeing gold gleaming in my scoop image

Sterling silver

Sterling silver

*** original post Jul 9 ***

I've planned to use my water machine a bit more for a while now.

The recent warm weather (and water) provided a good opportunity for this. Straight to the finds, most of which are from water between knee and waist deep. Nice variation from land hunting!
I'm quite pleased with the results and will probably try to add to these in the near future.. (tomorrow to be exact, as I'm on vacation this week image )

18k gold image
Ha! Finally a bump from the standard 14k. This one is a bit older too; it has the date January 22, 1913 engraved into it. This checks out with the date stamp, where "H5" stands for 1913.
I find plenty of 1920's coins on this beach, so chances are that this ring was lost a long time ago. The bottom was quite hard where I found it, which may have prevented it from sinking even deeper.

Apparently it had been in the wild for so long that it was refusing to be captured, escaping my scoop several times before I got it. image I was grinning quite a bit for a while afterwards, probably leading some early swimmers to question my mental stability..
These are soooo sweet to find!! Quite yellow color on this particular ring.

The ring is small, but it's thick! It weighs in at 9 grams image (clearly the heaviest gold band I've found), so at current gold spot of $632/oz, the gold content is worth about $137 image
(quite an academic calculation really, as it won't get melted anyway)

Then the silver department:

Sterling silver ring (no engravings)

Sterling silver ring
"Best Class of 01" (ugghhh..) The engraving mentions a museum of modern art (located in the center of the city), and the date 31 May 2010 - presumably the plan for a class reunion.

These junk rings (although this is an exceptionally vulgar example, but it's silver - so I'm not complaining) are the rule rather than exception among kids over here... I've had one as well (although I never wore it).
No names are engraved in these, although I'm sure the owner wouldn't be too interested in having it back anyway..

Sterling silver flower with stones This has been attached to something else..

When finding these, I picked up a bunch of coins as well. While most of these sea salvaged coins are toast, a few surprisingly nice examples can be found.
Those are currently in olive oil, so I'll save them for another post image

Thanks for looking!
Happy hunting!!!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Great post Zot. Nice to switch back and forth between land and water hunting. (Is it pretty hot over there right now?)

<<probably leading some early swimmers to question my mental stability..>>

imageimageimage

That gold ring is very cool looking. image

Glad to see you back Zot. We've missed your posts!

HH, Rick
  • Options
    Thanks Rick!
    Let's see what you've got for this month....! image

But... I hope that the encouragement doesn't mean kicking the proverbial sleeping dog, meaning that we'll promptly return to the usual sequence of "taking turns" with gold finds. Like this:

Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Zot
    Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Rick
    Zot..

• Options
    haha! image

It's been awhile since I've found gold so I think your list/record may be backwards! image

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Some nice finds there Zot. Glad to see you posting again.
  • Options
    That gold pc is sweet, man. Nice job!
  • Options
    Nice finds. I love the gold ring!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Zot, are you sure that this is a date? 22/7 is Pi. While I can’t figure out why you would stick Pi in between “19” and “13”, it might not be a date. Of course, then again, it might be. I can't make out the symbols in the upper right-hand picture.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Zot, are you sure that this is a date? 22/7 is Pi. While I can’t figure out why you would stick Pi in between “19” and “13”, it might not be a date. Of course, then again, it might be. I can't make out the symbols in the upper right-hand picture. >>

Yes, that's a date for sure. No doubt whatsoever. This is a woman's ring by the way (there's a man's name (first name only) engraved before the date)
    It's not 22/7, but 22/1 (a seven would have a crossbar in it as well, compare to 19 and 13..)
    The rightmost part of the hallmark is the date stamp, in this case "H5", which means the ring was made in 1913. This matches the engraved date.

• Options
    What a neat find. It's great to see you again.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I posted again to say that it’s too bad that ring didn’t have a last name as well. I doubt that fellow is still alive, but it would be neat to get in touch with his descendants.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice looking ring.....I love gold
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Those are some great finds there! image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    Nice work Zot!

That's a superb ring!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice dig's Zot!!The gold ring look's real thick and heavy.HH,Tom
  • Options
    updated in first post
  • Options
    Is it OK to image this time Zot?image
    Very cool finds!!
  • Options
    OK. This is all I have to say to you Erik:

Zot
    Zot
    Zot
    Zot
    Zot
    Rick
    Zot
    Zot
    Zot
    Zot
    Zot

That's awesome... love that old one too... lots of history behind that one image

Did you dig a lot of trash to get these?

Congrats! image
  • Options
    Phut: I approve of the yikes guy this time image (thanks!).
    It's amusing when you post it as it gives me the vivid image of a mighty cat having its tail stepped on imageimage

Rick: Not too much trash. The stats are probably a bit skewed as I think I finally found the end of an old water slide, having run from some nearby cliffs down into the water.
    Found the two recent 1920's rings close together and a third ring close by as well.
    There are still signals there too... image

Here are some approximate stats:

Gold : total targets 1:47
    Gold : coins 1:20
    Good targets : Trash 1:1

(Edited to say Good targets : trash, not good targets : total targets)

About your revised list: I'm sure it's a temporary glitch in the system... image
    While the glitch lasts, however, you'll have to hurry to get those "Rick"s in, as I'll be out for more in short order myself image
  • Options
    WOW......I have to start doing some water detecting.......Those are amazing finds! Congrats!
  • Options
    awesome finds zot!!!!!!!!! i love that gold, keep pounding that spot! and keep us updated on the eiriik ring.....that flower doo-hickey that must have been attached to something else is a belly button ring.....i find them all the time......peace!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds.
    On your Swedish 1725 ring, that looks like a makers mark--maybe "OM"-- to the left of the "5",
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    I JUST WENT BLIND! ! ! ! ! WOW

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Terrific finds! Great job Zot!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Holy smokes!

Unreal Zot! I'm sure there are more to be found!

Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eighteenth century gold!!!

Let's see... who sucks more this month, Mister 1794-half-cent-Millennium, or Mister-1725-gold-ring-Zot?

I think this calls for a poll. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DANG ZOT you really SUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKimage

Great find's,now get back to that beach for more!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    one final update in first post
  • Options
    700 in BV.... I'd call this a good monthimage
  • Options
    Phut: imageimage
    image Thanks!
  • Options
    Excellent work Zot!
    Definately an outstanding month you've had.

It's so hot here...I'm thinking of doing a water hunt myself.
    imageimage
  • Options

looks like a belly button ring
  • Options
    Tim's (Phut) post actually made me laugh out loud here at my desk... hahahahahaha!!!!!!
    That cat pic totally caught me off guard and hit a funny bone!!!
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    (thanks Tim, I needed the laugh!)
  • Options
    hahaha!!!
    Had to show my wife and this is how she described Tim's cat pic:

"looks like the kitty is getting 'goosed'!"

haha
  • Options
    Erik,
    That's an awesome end to your summer/water hunting and will be tough to beat. Lots of fun memories for you I'm sure. You'll need to keep us posted on what they find out about that oldest ring...
    (great final group shot by the way image )

Now go get some of those old silver coins (or a gold? image) over there!

HH, Rick