Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collectors: Have you ever conversed with Mark Ferguson?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you know who Mark Ferguson is? He is the Coin World/ Coin Values Market Analyst, the one who is nominally responsible for pricing information provided by Coin World and Coin Values (formerly Trends). I have read in his column on more than one occasion that he converses with dealers AND collectors at coin shows to gather market and pricing information. I have seen him at a show (a friend pointed him out to me), but never met him. With all of the collectors who post here, I would assume that some forum members have indeed conversed with Mark Ferguson about their corner of the numismatic landscape.

Have you ever spoken with Mark Ferguson? (BTW, I hear he is a pretty nice guy.)

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    He calls me several times a week to get pricing info.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of him but never met him. His position seems pretty powerful.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    No, but I asked one of his predecessors around the time of the release of SS Central America gold if a two tier value system would take shape, since at that time, AU 57-S $20s were selling for half the price of same grade SSCA coins. He had no answer and never got back to me. Perhaps the politics of a correct answer scared him off.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    He attended the big forum member dinner at the Baltimore ANA in 2003. I got to say hello but that was it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

Read your recent article in Rare Coin Report. Not new to collecting, however past 2 years been seriously working on a US type set. Have some questions if willing to share.

Milford Burke
    Billings Montana

Email burkecrew@bresnan.net

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

16 year old thread resurrection ALERT!

Isn't there a better way to reach out to him rather than assuming he'll see your post here while risking your email address to be scraped for spambots to abuse?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file