Home Metal Detecting
Options

more silver and gold

just when i thought it was done, i was wrong. could'nt resist hitting the demo one last time. somehow mananged 3 silver dimes and a very small gold plate ring.

Comments

• Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Are you kidding me??

"Just when I thought I was done...Oh gee, look at this, more silver, 2 rings (one of them gold plated), another bunch of wheaties. Ho-Hum...Another day in Demo-Ville"

YOU SUCK!!!!! image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    DD, I like that hex ring. It looks kind of like my wedding ring except mine only has three wrench flats on it. (I think it looks like a 15/16 nut) Mine also has nine little diamonds in it. I’ve never seen another hex-shaped ring.

Here's my ring:

(I'm a little hard on jewlery. It has become pretty scuffed.)
    imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get someone in there with a tractor and chisel plow and stur up the site and you would probably find stuff for another 2 months.
  • Options
    Nice silver!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Demo, you da man. Definitely
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    what y 'all don't see is all the trash i dig to get this stuff. i kept the last 4-5 days worth of trash, will have to scan it.

ok since its just about over, i'll tell what this site was/is....
    its a local high school that has had its entire fields tore up. only one small area still had the goodies in it. at some time, most of field had newer grass put in. i've been watching the tractors and graders working everyday, churning the dirt. for some very odd reason , no one else has found this spot. its absolutly huge and several local detectorists live nearby.

just wait till next summer. i know of several large projects that will give up many much older coins.
  • Options
    You’ve piqued my interest, DD. How are you hearing about all these projects? Please?
    imageimage
  • Options
    check your local government web pages. some have lists of city projects. remember a permit is needed to do anything. these permits are usually made public.
  • Options
    I got you. The problem is, around here anyway. Before ground is broken, they throw up a fence around the whole property.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I thought it was either a outdoor/drive-in movie theater or an old fair ground. My old teacher (literately) and I went digging at a bulldozed high school near Green Bay, WI last year and we found nothing but a '41 Merc and some Wheaties. Actually he found it. There is though a pile of dirt that they scraped off still standing there and I don't know what to do. I'm sure there are things in there.
  • Options
    most of sites i hunt, all have fences. i usually walk the fence line and look for a way in. sometimes this requires pulling a post up and out. in 20 years i've only been asked to leave a few times. at this particular place, they left a fence door wide open. i always go after they finish.

persistence pays off. the majority was modern. we walked some distance before i found an older item. i called my friend over who instanly got a half dollar(clad), and 2 silver quarters. from then on, we located the boundaries and dug ALL signals. search the dirt piles and pull dirt down and search again. places like this can go quick or linger forever. i hit it almost every day and removed every single piece of trash. must have dug 200 pencil tops.

sometimes you have to think differently. alot of people would walk away after the first hour of nothing. i knew this was an old school and that the silvers were hiding somewhere. always pull the dirt piles down. your detector can only go so deep. what lays just beyond? maybe riccar will share the story of my barber half in his dirt pile.
  • Options
    I guess I respect fences too much. I don’t think I could stand it if I was asked to leave. I am part of the police department here and it could be real trouble for me.
    imageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Dennis, I understand your respect for fences. It's so easy to get permission though, especially if you're known around town. I think the tough part is actually asking! Most people want a detailed description of what I'm going to do, but once they understand I'm not going to destroy their property they're very agreeable.
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    most of the police in our old part of town are very friendly. they are friends with a bottle digger here and are always interested in what we get. some have even told me of other construction sites to try. what helps, is that you respect the property and cover all holes. there are other towns or cities where the police are not so friendly though.
  • Options
    Alright, real quick per DD's request...

A couple years ago there was a park that had some work going on where they decided to dig and place all the dirt in a huge pile. I stopped by the pile on my way home from work, walked all around it, saw a bennington marble (good, old sign), and decided to get the detector out. It turned out to be loaded with signals and was tough going, but I was waving my coil over it when I got a solid quarter signal. It was right there near the surface of the pile, picked up the target and it turned out to be a 1909 Barber quarter.

DD and I keep in close contact in order to keep an eye on our area and try to find out where the next good detecting spot is going to turn up. So, I gave him a call right there after finding the quarter and said "you're going to want to come over here." He showed up, and started tearing the pile down. I hadn't seen a detectorist do that before, and I wouldn't have wanted to do that just because I was thinking, "If I was working in my yard, placed a pile of dirt in a spot, I wouldn't want someone to pull it down after I had placed it all in a pile." However, the thing I didn't think about was that this was a public park project and these guys are using tractors and bobcats so pulling the dirt pile down (in a way that wouldn't affect their project) wouldn't bother any of the guys working there. Shortly after DD was pulling the pile down, he found about a foot into the pile.... a 1915(?) Barber Half Dollar! You just never know what's going to be in a pile of dirt...

I'll let him jump back in here if he wants to explain more... image
  • Options
    ya that was back when rick was a newbie and had never found a seated coin. now he's got better and older coins than me. anyway this is the half. i remember saying that i'd like to see a half dollar come out of this pile. i wasn't even using a detector. it was on, but laying behind me. i was pulling the dirt down with my claw digger. just then i saw a large disc come rolling down. could'nt believe my eyes.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Last week, when I dug the '40 Merc., a cop pulled up next to me and said....."If you find anything good....I get half".
    We chatted for a bit, he was very interested and friendly.