Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878-S NGC MS-65 (2-Sided "Ice Blue" Toned) Morgan Dollar -- New vs Original Auction Photo

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a new purchase at auction this Sunday evening for my Toned Morgan Collection. She's my first MS-65 toner, and I think that she's pretty. image

I can easily overlook the contact mark on Miss Liberty's chin magnified 5x on this large sized photo, in favor of the pretty blue toning on both sides...

The following photos are courtesy of fellow forum member MrD (aka GreatToning). How do you like her??

1878-S NGC MS-65 (2-Sided "Ice Blue" Toned) Morgan Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Oooh, very nice! ^___^ Blue toning is a definite plus!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    image............NICE!I have a blue toned coin(crappy picture)from the same year this one has a cameo look but is only toned on one side.I have always wondered how a coin tones on both sides like that.My guess is from being in an envelope of some sort as I think an album toned coin would start from the outside and work its way in.............nice pickup stuart!
  • Options
    I like it!.....Pretty cool!
  • Options
    Thanks for your positive comments about my new 1878-S NGC MS-65 (2-Sided Blue Toned) Morgan Dollar !! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Stuatt,Getting nicer every time.Better color,better date,and higher grades.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice blue coin. Now you can start a Registry set called "The Smurf Village Collection." image
  • Options
    Bestclser and Ron: Thanks very much for your comments about my new 1878-S NGC MS-65 (2-Sided Blue Toned) Morgan Dollar.

Bestclser, as you and others have recommended, I am being more selective in my toned Morgan purchases. Thanks for your continued advice!

Stuart

• Options
    Beautiful !!
  • Options
    Thanks ABC123!! image

Stuart

• Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    I wouldn't kick her out of bed.
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Excellent PickUp!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of that coin, a lot. However, I must admit that the first thought I had upon seeing the coin and grade is that it looks overgraded to me...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Equal to my love for Potato Chips!

Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice, I especially like the toning on the rev around the word "States"
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    << I must admit that the first thought I had upon seeing the coin and grade is that it looks overgraded to me >>

Mike: I agree with your above comment, and believe that this coin may have gotten the benefit of a half point grading bump due to the extra eye appeal added by the pretty ice blue toning.

I also think that the coin has a lot more luster "pop" than depicted in the photos which are designed to show the color more than the luster. I'm guessing that it's got Semi-PL fields with moderate cameo based solely upon the original auction photos.

As mentioned in my first post on this thread: << I can easily overlook the contact mark on Miss Liberty's chin magnified 5x on this large sized photo, in favor of the pretty blue toning on both sides...>>

Since the purchase price was very advantageous, I think that this was fairly priced even as an MS-64. image

Stuart

• Options
    Today I received this beautiful two-sided "Ice Blue" toned Morgan Dollar, and wanted to post an update to this thread to share with you.

This is one of the prettiest toned Morgans in my collection, and I'm very pleased that it's also an 1878-S which is one of my favorite non-CC Morgans. It's also a VAM variety because it's got a polished area in the eagle's left (viewer's right) wing where the feather detail has been obscured by overzealous die lapping.

It's in an older NGC holder with the original NGC hologram and barcode on front label, issued soon after the old NGC "Fat" holders. With this superb eye appeal, I believe that today NGC would add the star designation.

The contact mark in Miss Liberty's chin area is much more subtle than as depicted in the photographs posted below.

I have to thank fellow forum member MrD for this truly gem beauty!!

Stuart

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Stuart.image
  • Options
    the color is great

78 s morgans usually come with a ton of up and down ugly die polishing on the reverse but that one looks really nice.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your comments and observations about my new 1878-S NGC MS-65 (2-Sided "Ice Blue" Toned) Morgan Dollar. image

Stuart

• Options
    Here are new photographs (top images) that I took this evening of my 1878-S NGC MS-65 Blue Toned Morgan Dollar previously posted on this forum. Original auction photos reposted (bottom images) for reference.

1878-S NGC MS-65 Blue Toned Morgan Dollar

Stuart

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I love it as an MS64. I don't like it that much as a MS65 unless it was had without a premium. I could justify the 65 price based upon eye appeal...but that is no small hit on the chin. It's hard to ignore...and is pretty much in the dead center of the prime focal area. I love the color. Sorry to be so grumpy. Had a few Vodka Tonics at the firm Xmas party and am calling them like I see them.

Edited to add: The new photo's are great. Really get a better feel for the coin.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    When i first opened the window i saw amanda's post and thought she was back, then i realized the date of the post image.
    Nice dollar by the way, i don't really like Morgan Dollars but that one is pretty!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Greg: You are correct about the hit on Miss Liberty's chin. The lighting angle in this photograph shows that specific contatc mark in its most harsh perspective. When rotating the coin in light, the mark does not appear very obvious.

Since you mentioned it, the coin was purchased for GS ask with no premium for toning, so you can either cost justify it as a Toned PQ 64 or a nicely toned 65. image

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file