Home Metal Detecting
Options

Jul06

I'm baaaaack. Got my camera talking to my computer finally(long story). I missed June's polls by a dayimage.

Found this piece yesterday. I thought it was a George halfpenny until I cleaned it.
Navy button 18?? 27mm

Relics from yesterday.

The rest are not from yesterday
Native artifacts
I forgot to put a coin for size reference. The J shaped thing is about 3 inches.

Large and small coppers taking a bath, most were found in June. There's a King George Halfpenny, a Connecticut state copper, and I don't remember what else. Someday I'll clean them and take pictures.

This piece is toast, but I thought it was kinda neat that the only ridge left defines her face.

Bell

Mostly chips from the making of pointy rocks. There are hundreds of them. I think I found their workshop.

Broken 10K gold ring, silver nickel, 1883 dime, 1936 Buffalo, Massachusetts state copper(woohoo, made it to the front of the red book again), a welcome thing, and a small navy button.

Found this early in May.
1917 half
image.

Not pictured:
One 5 gallon bucket full of junk
One 5 gallon bucket half full of junque(mostly bigger relics)

Comments

• Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Wow, that's a nice assortment of finds. Great job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Cool stuff, just wondering what kind of places you're hitting that's giving up all the crusty coins and other stuff. Are you hunting forests where mother nature has totally reclaimed whatever settlements used to be there?
  • Options
    Is that a toy revolver, Phut?
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Great finds as always! I see that the pointy rocks department is strong this time around as well.

You sure manage to pack a lot of stuff into a single post. That picture of the coins alone is quite an assortment, not to mention the olive oil jar! (a very familiar sight by the way, but mine generally have more oil vs. coins image
    I have several, the oldest has coins in it that have been there since September last year - the oil has been changed a few times though)

<< <i>Massachusetts state copper >>

image Wow!! That's in reasonably good shape too.
    I find the eagle on the back of those to be very amusing looking... The legs look like those of a frog image
    Surely you can enter that for the July polls.. should be a tough one to beat!

Keep up the good work!!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    That half is very pretty Tim!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    somebody stop him! image

I like the "disclaimer" at the bottom concerning the 5 gal. buckets of trash... I can relate!

The other note I'd like to see in your post would be:
    Total bug (and snake?) bites = ___

Cool finds Tim. You seem to get some good history out of the ground each month.
  • Options
    Amazing finds as always.

<< <i>I'm baaaaack. >>

Duly noted.
    Keep the good finds coming.
  • Options

Nice work Tim!

Do any of those flakes you found (pictured in the bowl) show minute chipping along the edges?

Don't really know the regional names of the types in your area, but it looks like you could be on a camp site possibly. Further investigation and collecting of materials are needed to say for sure.

A good clue to a campsite is the recovery of broken bases and few whole specimens of a given type. Many of the broken bases found were broken in ancient times and not always by the plow. The broken bases are found back at the campsites where they were detached from the wooden or bone shaft of a spear or dart , and then a new point could be re-hafted to the reusable wooden shaft. If you are finding more tips than bases you are likely in their hunting area or kill sites. Something to think about as you collect more material from the site.

I like the gun and the ox shoe with nails , and the bell is cool too!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dang Phut sweet dig's!!!

Is the gun real or a toy??HH,Tom
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Thanks for the replies.
    I try to stay off the (modern) beaten path and get clues from sites like this.
    The gun is a toy and has WildWest stamped on the barrel.
    I have many little jars of finds soaking in oil, some for almost two years. Every now and then, especially on rainy days, I'll pop out a piece, clean it up, and put it in my keeper folder.
    The half was around 14 inches deep in a mud bog. I rang as foil, which usually means 22 shell(worse than poptops to me) close to the surface. After taking out a four inch thick plug and scanning to make sure the target was still in the hole, I ruled out 22 shell and was guessing musket ball. I have a jar full of these, but I still like digging them.
    I dug another 4 inches and still had not reached the target.... and the hole was filling up with water. So much for using the non-waterproof pinpointer. I started digging out shovels full of muddy water, swinging my coil, and digging more shovels full. Finally.... bang...It rocked my ear drums, and read what it was supposed to on the screen. It came out of the hole as you see it. No cleaning, just a little dip in the water that had filled the hole.
    Bug bites= Not many. 40% deet helps, but does not stop them all. I went to a site last week before the helicopters came to spray. Headphones on, deet applied. I left the security of the corn field and got no more than ten feet into the marsh and was swarmed by skeeters. So loud I could hear them through the headphones.
    Greenhead season started this week. There were so many of them following me around yesterday that I had dragonflies using me as bait. It was cool watching them attack the little green monsters, but there were too few of the blue-eyed saviors to make life comfortable. I lasted less than an hour in the field.
    I've heard rumors of Timber rattlers in this area, but have never seen one.
    Some of the rock flakes have minute (eigth to quarter inch) chips. I left most of the tiny stuff in the field as a marker to where the hot spot is. Less than 1000 square feet in a 6+ acre field.
    Hope I answered everything.image
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional fun reading Tim.
    By the way, what's a "Greenhead"?
    Us Californians are spoiled when it comes to West coast vs. East coast bugs... and the humidity! I'll never forget the humidity out there... get out of the water, dry off, and you're still wet?!

thanks again. image
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Greenheads
    The last couple paragraphs and photo really tell the experienceimage
  • Options
    Looks like you had some fun
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • Options
    Greenheads-

<<...greenhead flies are present and searching for blood on the beaches and bay of Brigantine at the same time that most visitors are using beaches for recreation.>>

YOWCH!!! image