Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A numismatic side visit and a purchase of a Higley copper--Simsbury Copper Mine

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I went with the family today on a numismatic trip to northern CT (about an hour from the Longacre homestead). We visited the Old Newgate Prison and Copper Mine. I had not been to this site in at least 25 years, and due to its numismatic connection, I wanted to visit it again. For anyone in the area who is interested in colonial history or copper coins in general, I reccomend that you visit this site. It is not a very large historical site, but it consists of the copper mine which was later converted to the Old Newgate Prison that was used in colonial times. Here is some information, as well as a link to the website.

The site consists of a self guided tour of the prison. There are several large "museum signs" that you read along the way that tell you about the different parts of the prison. Some of the items include the old well used by the prison, as well as the copper smelting furnace that is located in the prison's courtyard. The highlight of the visit is when you get to venture down into the actual copper mine. As you descend the stairs, the change in temperature is amazing. Today it was in the mid 80's, and it was easily in the low 60's once you went into the mine. The self guided tour of the copper mine consists of the following items:

Key to the Mine Tour
A Lodging Area - Prisoners slept in wooden cabins in this area of the mine, although no trace of these structures remains.
B The Well - This was the water supply for prisoners below and above ground. It also provided air circulation. At this point you are approximately 45 feet underground. High grade uranium ore was recently discovered in this area.
C Solitary Confinement - Prisoners were chained here at times for improper behavior.
D Drainage Pipe - The remains of an old wooden drainage system can be seen. At this point the caverns are below the wall next to the road.
E Ore Shaft & Drainage Tunnel - This shaft and the drainage tunnel underneath the stairs were used during the early mining operations - the shaft to hoist the copper ore and the drain to remove water. The first prisoner confined in New-Gate excaped from the mines by climbing out this 65-foot shaft; other prisoners used the drainage tunnel to dig their way out.
F Abandoned Tunnels - These areas are closed to the public because of safety requirements. The darkness of these tunnels offers some idea of what conditions were like for the inmates.
G Old Mine Entrance - This was the only accessible shaft into New-Gate's mine from the early 1700's until the completion of the tunnel stairway. This shaft is approximately 20 feet from the surface.

Here is the map of the mine tour:

The literature that they give you that is numismatically related is as follows:

"The history of the copper mine operations is not well known. The first reference to a copper mine appears in 1705, and in 1707, the town of Simsbury "chartered" the mine (this area was part of Simsbury until the mid-18th century). Many invested in the mine, none were successful in developing a profitable business. One major difficulty was that th excavated ore had to be shipped to England to be refined. Attempts to reopen the mine in the 19th century were also unsuccessful. Old maps show other mine shafts in this vacinity that indicate repeated efforts to find copper ore."

They also give some information about Higley Coppers as follows:

"In 1707, a group of land owners formed the "Simsbury Copper Mines Company" and started mining for copper in Simsbury, CT, obtaining ore varying from 2% to 50% pure copper. Ten shillings per ton of ore was paid to the city for support of a local schoolmaster and Yale College. Three local clergymen, respected for their theological and scientific knowledge, were contracted to refine the ore in defiance of English law prohibiting Colonial refining and minting. African slaves mined and German immigrants refined great quantities of this ore in local furnaces. Higley, an ingenious and abitious local blacksmith, coined the very pure copper into unauthorized three pence pieces, which were frequently bought by New York goldsmiths for alloying. Fear of reprisal by British authorities led Higley to use the legend "Value Me As You Please." In 1770, the mines and caverns of Simsbury became a prison for holding local Tories and offically became the Newgate State Prison in 1790."

There are several volunteers at the site to answer your questions. I asked a few questions about the copper and the coins that were made from it, but they didn't have a lot of information. Perhaps someone like CCU should take a ride up and give the volunteers a briefing!

Lastly, in the gift shop, they had a basket full of Higley coppers. I selected a fine piece that I would grade at least MS-63, and although I felt like haggling the $2 price, I decided to pay full boat. I plan to call Stack's first thing on Monday and consign it to their next sale. image

Here is a link to the site with more information if anyone is interested in visiting:

Official Site

Secondary site
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Very interesting mine--our geology class at Wesleyan visited it and we were able to get access to some of the closed shafts. Be sure to wash the cloths you wore several times--the mine's radioactivity sends a Geigercounter off the dial.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    You expect us to read that whole thing?

Just kidding. Where's the pic of your copper?
  • Options

<< <i>Very interesting mine--our geology class at Wesleyan visited it and we were able to get access to some of the closed shafts. Be sure to wash the cloths you wore several times--the mine's radioactivity sends a Geigercounter off the dial.image >>

image There was a radon warning that I saw, not being a geologist, I am not sure if this is the same thing. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a cool place to visit. Thanks for sharing Longacre.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coincidentally, the Higley copper is the coin of the month this month on the Coins magazine calendar.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i> There was a radon warning that I saw, not being a geologist, I am not sure if this is the same thing. >>

Radon is a rdioactive gas given off by uranium ores as a result of radioactive decay. Specificly, due to natural fissioning of the Uranium atoms. It's heavier than air and will tend to be at the highest concentrations in the lowest areas of the mine. It can be adsorbed by your clothing and that would be what causes the geiger counter to go off as it detects the radioactive decay of the radon.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!!

I live a bit closer to East Granby than Longacre does, and am embarrased so say I have never visited the mine. Perhaps I will make it there this summer.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre:

Very nifty site and very entertaining tale. I note on the web link youy provided that the group running the prison/copper mine is looking for donations. They said that for $500 dollars you can become a platinium member. I think you should suggest to them that the name of this level be changed so that someone donating $500 or more becomes a "copper" member!

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Tease. I thought we'd get a pic of a Higley copper in here.

Cool stuff, anyway! image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect a day trip is in order. Thanks for the report Longacre.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    This is a blast from the past.

I wanted to dig it up because today my kindergarten son needed to bring something about "money" to school today for show and tell. Rather than saddling the tike with a stack of double eagles, I gave him the excessively rare Higley copper that I bought in the gift shop at the mine. I look forward to seeing how things went in school today. I was embarassed to admit to my son that Longacre is deathly afraid of colonials, though. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i live close to the higley copper mine in east granby ( simsbury if you wish ) i really like going to that place and see what else is new there. glad ya had good time and the sorts best wishes.

im with connecticoin as well. we got it good living close to that. best wishs john image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CRO guys just sold one of these, probably for more than Longacre paid. They are all "excessively rare." Neat stuff.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a new read for me. Very cool. But where is the pic of the gift shop purchase?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Keyman64: <<This was a new read for me. Very cool. But where is the pic of the gift shop purchase? >

I, too, would like to see such a picture. One of the points that I put forth in my recent article is that numismatists who cannot afford real Higley Coppers may enjoy owning replicas. While I am opposed to the coining of replicas in some other cases, given the historical importance and interesting nature of Higley Coppers, these serve a valid purpose, IMO.

OP: << Higley, an ingenious and abitious local blacksmith, coined the very pure copper into unauthorized three pence pieces, which were frequently bought by New York goldsmiths for alloying.>>

The secondhand reports, of which I am aware, of lab tests of Higley Coppers suggest that they were no more pure than many other copper items of the era. The story about NY goldsmiths specifically demanding them is plausible, though is probably not true. For them, there were less expensive sources of copper. It is extremely likely that Higley Coppers traded at far more than their intrinsic value. Some information about the Higley Coppers and much information about Newgate prison comes from a poorly researched book by Richard Phelps. I discuss pertinent books and other sources in my recent article on Higley Coppers:

Historically Important Higley Coppers Always Draw Attention!
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this! Higleys are awesome
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file