Home Sports Talk
Options

Home Run Derby Contestants - Who Will Win?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Jermaine Dye, CHW
Lance Berkman, HOU
Troy Glaus, TOR
Miguel Cabrera, FLA
David Ortiz, BOS
Ryan Howard, PHI
Miguel Tejada, BAL
David Wright, NYM

My pick would be Ryan Howard...that is unless he gets a bad case of the nerves and blows it.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    seems to me someone on the NL squad should of steped down and let BAY hit for his home crowd.

yeah i know wright is one of those guys but it is his first all star game. maybe berkman should of gave way?
  • Options
    Didn't bay do an 0-fer last year?
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Im thinking Howard as well
  • Options
    I'm gonna go for an underdog....Troy Glaus. By far one of the most underrated sluggers in the game.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    BAY did do an 0fer last year... but this is his home crowd. i would of steped down.

ill say ortiz will win. he is smashing the darn ball right now.

but i will be going for wright image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maybe MLB should have the anti homerun derby. a slap hitters contest. guy like ichiro could do well in that one.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe MLB should have the anti homerun derby. a slap hitters contest. guy like ichiro could do well in that one.

steve >>

A fair shot.

Don't forget Wade Boggs.

Well we know that no one from Seattle will win the HR Derby.

I'll go for Howard.

The Phils should have made room for him three years ago rather than wait. Injuries and Thome got in the way. They put too much stock in Thome when he came back from injuries and kept sending Howard back to the minors.
  • Options
    Too bad ARod isn't participating because of injury. An actual contest where people get paid for meaningless homeruns? He would have won hands down...
  • Options
    If you dopes have ever watched batting practice, you'd know that both Ichiro and Boggs crush the ball.

That's not their job during the game, their job is to get on base.

Too bad you guys don't know a damn thing about baseball.
  • Options

LOl We all know (unlike you) who backs up the catcher on a play at the plate! I remm you coming on here in a lame attempt at bashing Jeter and saying he should have been backing the catcher up. talk about not knowing baseball. I would hate for you to be a LL coach.

Hint to Axhole/donkey

The Pitcher backs up the catcher on plays to the plate.

invariably

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What does that have to do with the home run derby? Are you drunk this early in the afternoon? Does your mommy know you're drinking in her basement?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>If you dopes have ever watched batting practice, you'd know that both Ichiro and Boggs crush the ball.

Too bad you guys don't know a damn thing about baseball. >>

Yeah they would both be 40 HR a year guys if they chose to, but they decided singles are better for the team.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I'd rather them hit .350 with 10 HRs than .270 with 40.

They aren't power hitters.
  • Options

<< <i>If you dopes have ever watched batting practice, you'd know that both Ichiro and Boggs crush the ball.

Too bad you guys don't know a damn thing about baseball. >>

hahahahahahaha oh what a hoot. I guess there job isn't to score runs then? "Nope, forgettabout a home run I'll just make it a double! That way I'm on base, don't want to score to quickly now". Ichiro SAYS he could hit 30 homers a season, to bad he's never been close to that number in ANY professional league.

"What does that have to do with the home run derby?"

Check the thread title. You'd realize quickly why Boggs/Ichi would never make it in a contest like this. They don't have it in them. Never did.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>
    hahahahahahaha oh what a hoot. I guess there job isn't to score runs then? "Nope, forgettabout a home run I'll just make it a double! That way I'm on base, don't want to score to quickly now". Ichiro SAYS he could hit 30 homers a season, to bad he's never been close to that number in ANY professional league.
    >>

You're an idiot. I want a leadoff hitter to hit .350 and get on base, not to hit 40 homeruns and bat .270.

<< <i>"What does that have to do with the home run derby?"

Check the thread title. You'd realize quickly why Boggs/Ichi would never make it in a contest like this. They don't have it in them. Never did. >>

Just because they don't swing for the fences and strikeout during the games doesn't mean they can't crush the ball during batting practice. Perhaps if you watched a game instead of fantasizing about queen george you'd know these types of things.

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738

<< <i>seems to me someone on the NL squad should of steped down and let BAY hit for his home crowd.

yeah i know wright is one of those guys but it is his first all star game. maybe berkman should of gave way? >>

I believe Bay is on the record as saying he wants nothing to do with the HR derby.
  • Options
    I doubt he'd be batting leadoff with 40 homers. Not a good usage of power and the ability to drive in runs instead of create them you twit. Batting practice counts for NOTHING. I've watched plenty of players before games, and not once has a leadoff man hit them like the real sluggers. Once again, trying to prop up your fantasy butt buddies. No homo kid.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    "Yet Ichiro's phenomenal daily power displays, usually on his last six or eight swings of batting practice, are so well known that Major League Baseball officials are believed to have asked him to take part.

Earlier this week, rather than his usual outright rejection of the homer event, he had said he might participate. As if to give an example, that night in Kansas City he hit a batting-practice pitch to the back wall of the right-field bullpen, at least 450 feet."

Link
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

You're an idiot. I want a leadoff hitter to hit .350 and get on base, not to hit 40 homeruns and bat .270.

<< <i>"What does that have to do with the home run derby?"

Check the thread title. You'd realize quickly why Boggs/Ichi would never make it in a contest like this. They don't have it in them. Never did. >>

Just because they don't swing for the fences and strikeout during the games doesn't mean they can't crush the ball during batting practice. Perhaps if you watched a game instead of fantasizing about queen george you'd know these types of things. >>

Ax, there isnt a AAA player alive who cant crush the ball in batting practice. It doenst mean they can do it against real pitching in games.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>
    Ax, there isnt a AAA player alive who cant crush the ball in batting practice. It doenst mean they can do it against real pitching in games. >>

The home run derby ISN'T 'real pitching'.

• Options
    And YOU are talking about Ichiro and Boggs being able to hit HR's off real pitching in real games but they choose not to. Here we go again with that comprehension problem.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I would like to see Soraino in it one year though. He actually crushes the ball in real games! I think in time he might make a run at the 50/50 club(not much of a club, but hey).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Ax, there isnt a AAA player alive who cant crush the ball in batting practice. It doenst mean they can do it against real pitching in games. >>

The home run derby ISN'T 'real pitching'. >>

And Ichiro and Boggs couldn't do it against REAL pitching. Just like Ichiro SAID he could hit 30 a season, yet never seems to even come close to that mark.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner. A blatant contradiction all on the same page. Which one is it, "crush the ball," or "aren't power hitters?"

<< <i> If you dopes have ever watched batting practice, you'd know that both Ichiro and Boggs crush the ball. >>

<< <i>They aren't power hitters. >>

Listen, if they could do it in the game they would bat in the right spot and the team would take advantage of the power. If not then I guess their respective managers completely blew it for all of those years. Yeah, right.

Come back when you can at least tell us "who's on first."

Shortstop backs up the catcher?

Please, just learn and then give us a real challenge.

• Options
    What does that have to do with the home run derby? Are you drunk this early in the afternoon? Does your mommy know you're drinking in her basement?]

Hey dopey it had to do with your comment:

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    ORTIZ all the way
  • Options
    Listen, Ichiro and Boggs are well known for the power displays during batting practice.

But to hit home runs during the game would take away from their dominance as a hitter. They aren't power hitters, and no one here professed them to be.

Where did Ichiro say he could hit 30 home runs a year? Or are you pulling that out of your ass usual?
  • Options
    If they arent power hitters, and you have agreed and stated that they arent power hitters then why in the name of sorcery are you endlessly trying to defend their power hitting prowess during batting practice ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>If they arent power hitters, and you have agreed and stated that they arent power hitters then why in the name of sorcery are you endlessly trying to defend their power hitting prowess during batting practice ? >>

Slappy WP thought the need to drag Ichiro's name through the mud.

I simply refuted it as saying that the home run contest, which is nothing more than batting practice, Ichiro would crushe the ball (as did Boggs in BP).

I never said they would be effective power hitters in a game situation - that's not their specialty.

• Options

<< <i>Listen, Ichiro and Boggs are well known for the power displays during batting practice.

But to hit home runs during the game would take away from their dominance as a hitter. They aren't power hitters, and no one here professed them to be.

Where did Ichiro say he could hit 30 home runs a year? Or are you pulling that out of your ass usual? >>

You "orificed" them as "power-hitters" during BP because they "crush the ball". Ichiro said it himself in an interview, that's how I heard it. I was shocked to hear it, but quite frankly I have yet to see something he can't do. I mean, he owns a commanding arm and has a batting eye not seen in the majs since the Molitor/Boggs/Brett mold.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>You "orificed" them as "power-hitters" during BP because they "crush the ball". Ichiro said it himself in an interview, that's how I heard it. I was shocked to hear it, but quite frankly I have yet to see something he can't do. I mean, he owns a commanding arm and has a batting eye not seen in the majs since the Molitor/Boggs/Brett mold. >>

Idiot comes to mind when describing your incredible inability to grasp a simple concept.

Boggs was well known for his immense home run bombs during batting practice, as is Ichiro now.

But they are amazing contact hitters...they aren't great home run hitters under game time situations. They are hitters who will hit .350, but not for a ton of power for it will diminish their ability to get on base to fuel the offense.

• Options
    So you think they don't hit for power b/c it'll diminish their ability to get on base? WTF are smoking? They don't hit for power in game situations b/c they can't. It's that simple.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>So you think they don't hit for power b/c it'll diminish their ability to get on base? WTF are smoking? They don't hit for power in game situations b/c they can't. It's that simple. >>

Yes, what part of that don't you get? If you are hitting for power, you aren't a contact hitter. You are going to strike out more, which means GETTING ON BASE LESS.

What part of that is so difficult for your tiny little brain to understand? I know you were dropped on your head a lot as a child, but even a child could understand this simple concept.

• Options
    Funny, Ted Williams was a power hitter. Ken Griffey Jr too. Frank Thomas is another one, so is Babe Ruth. The fact is, neither Boggs nor Ichiro CAN hit for power. Your just stupid enough to think BP "homers" actually count for something other than souvenirs. To bad both are overhyped singles hitters, although I'd take Ichiro over Boggs every time. Simply b/c Defense does count, even though you don't believe so.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Funny, Ted Williams was a power hitter. Ken Griffey Jr too. Frank Thomas is another one, so is Babe Ruth. The fact is, neither Boggs nor Ichiro CAN hit for power. Your just stupid enough to think BP "homers" actually count for something other than souvenirs. To bad both are overhyped singles hitters, although I'd take Ichiro over Boggs every time. Simply b/c Defense does count, even though you don't believe so. >>

So you want to crucify guys for playing to their strengths, instead of their weaknesses? Boggs and Ichiro are amazing hitters (Boggs in the HoF already, Ichiro a likely lock).

Please tell me where I said BP homers count for anything? THIS DISCUSSION WAS BASED ON THE HOME RUN DERBY, you twit!

Overhyped singles hitters? Why don't you see how many doubles Boggs had in his career? He crushes your boy Mattingly in that department, too.
  • Options
    Ax, the point here is that you endlessly defend and praise Boggs and Ichiro for their batting practice power when it doesnt mean jackola. If they cant do it in game situations then why even mention it ? Why even defend it ?

If someone can hit homer after homer in MLB 2005 for playstation what does it mean ? About the same as Ichiro and Boggs showing prowess in batting practice. It is a stupid argument.

I know a few guys that have amazing power when hitting a wiffle ball off their 6 year old. That must mean something too according to your logic.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    WP criticized Ichiro as being a slappy singles hitter.

I simply said, in the context of the HOME RUN DERBY (the original thread before moronic WP derailed it), Ichiro is widely known to crush the ball in batting practice (just like Boggs).

Why are you twits so unable to grasp the context of my bringing that up? Why is it such a difficult concept to see that batting practice power = home run derby power?

Are you really, truly that STUPID?
  • Options
    WP criticized Ichiro as being a slappy singles hitter.

I did not. I merely pointed out that he would do well if MLB had an anti nomerun derby. one for slap hitters.

as usual you used your mind reading skills and thought wrong!

and as usual you kept going on and on and on saying the same things over and over. remember, idiot, a thread gets derailed when YOU perpetuate it. You merely had to agree or disagree with me and move on. being the nit wit that you are and having to have the last word in every conversation you derailed your own thread. like you do to every thread that you post in.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>WP criticized Ichiro as being a slappy singles hitter.

I did not. I merely pointed out that he would do well if MLB had an anti nomerun derby. one for slap hitters.
    >>

These are different how? If you want to criticize me for derailing threads (I don't, but whatever), then why do you take the derailing route? Are you a hypocrite? YES! is the answer.

<< <i>as usual you used your mind reading skills and thought wrong!

and as usual you kept going on and on and on saying the same things over and over. remember, idiot, a thread gets derailed when YOU perpetuate it. You merely had to agree or disagree with me and move on. being the nit wit that you are and having to have the last word in every conversation you derailed your own thread. like you do to every thread that you post in.

Steve >>

Well when I am right, I will get the last word in. Just like you continuing to harrass me via PM when I asked you to stop, you continued, until I simply ignored you. How'd that feel, when you went to PM, and it said you weren't able to? Did you get sad? Did you cry to mommy like you always do?

Another knockout.

Next!
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

here here image
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    and it said you weren't able to? Did you get sad? Did you cry to mommy like you always do?

LOL wrong again idiot. I just tried to PM you and I got no such message.

OWNED!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    hahah so you continued to try to harrass me even after being asked to stop PMing?

Obssess, much idiot?

How's it feel to be shown to be the complete and utter tool you are?

• Options
    David Ortiz, BOS
    or
    Ryan Howard, PHI

It should be fun to watch these 2 go at it.
  • Options
    It seems OT now but Bay was asked but didn't want in the Derby.

Eddie K
  • Options

<< <i>It seems OT now but Bay was asked but didn't want in the Derby.

Eddie K >>

Not OT, as the forum trolls tried to derail the thread.

After his abysmal showing last year, I am sure he didn't want to be embarassed in front of the home town this year.

• Options

After his abysmal showing last year, I am sure he didn't want to be embarassed in front of the home town this year.

wow one bad showing and he is done? i would of gave him a shot at it this year! hometown kid should bein it! isnt it all for the fans?

my bad i guess you want payrod in there?
  • Options

<< <i>

wow one bad showing and he is done? i would of gave him a shot at it this year! hometown kid should bein it! isnt it all for the fans?

my bad i guess you want payrod in there? >>

I am happy with whomever they choose, as long as they really want to be in there and are going to give an effort. I don't want a player giving half an effort (a la Manny)....I am happy with the mix.

I see something the NBA does markedly better than MLB: the marketing of its hot young stars. Why not do a rookie HR contest? Get as much exposure for the new guys as possible?

With the disparity in market exposure, I'd think that MLB would want to do everything in its power to get as much spotlight on the next generation of great players as possible.
  • Options

<< <i>David Ortiz, BOS
    or
    Ryan Howard, PHI

It should be fun to watch these 2 go at it. >>

Agreed. I'll watch just for those two.

Howard has great power and really crushes the ball. Of course the skill of Ortiz goes without saying.

Ortiz had a good showing last year. He may take it.
  • Options
    So lets see I am accused by the resident derailer of derailing this thread. I count almost 20 posts by him, almost all regarding my original post. which by the way was "i wonder who would win an anti derby? a slap hitter like ichiro?

I then have 3 other posts in this thread ALL answers to specific questions asked of me by the resident derailer, or rebuttals to stupid statements he made.

If my original post was so off topic why did the resident derailer feel the need to go on and on regarding the batting practice power of ichiro and Boggs? hell I never even mentioned boggs!

I guess that the resident derailer. Axhole is grasping at straws in his lame attempt at proving to the community that I derail threads.

when the truth of the matter is he does! If someone mentions something that he feels is OT he should have enough smarts to ignore it and stay focused. However since he is a lil turd of a man and constantly has to play the tuff guy role, he lacks self control.

oh by the way, I did not create the Pelfrey thread so why did you insist on derailing it?

and..........what about the falsehood regarding messages if one is ignored on pm? I guess since you were proven wrong about that issue you moved on to something else. As I did not see a reply regarding it. only more nonsense from that idiotic mouth of yours.

I suggest you take grotes advice.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    I still think Howard's going to take it.

Ortiz will likely get out of the first round, but I don't see him being able to sustain it for the entire competition.