Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What does this grade?....and is this OC. Grades arrived.

I have a pretty decent idea on how to pick up a 4-5 looking at all the goudey's. I have this 58 card. I wouldn't submit it unless it was a 6 or higher. What do you guys think? Submit or no-submit

Thanks
-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Real tough to tell from the scan. Sure looks like it could fetch a 6 but due to the bend of the card, the corners aren't real visible on the scan.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Submit! Nice centering all around, no soft edges(although the B looks questionable) and no soft corners(BR's a maybe on that, looks a lil nicked in the scan) I'd say it's a 6. A hard scan to see from.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan

Is that a photo or a scan?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    It is a scan. I took it from the auction I won. It looked like a really nice card so I bought it.
    -Ryan
  • Options

<< <i>It is a scan. I took it from the auction I won. It looked like a really nice card so I bought it. >>

It does look nice. Hopefully though you didn't pay too much. What condition was it described as?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I paid 13 bucks for a 5 card '58 lot. I don't really have much experience with post war cards, but I had been talking about starting a 6-7 set from the 50's. I wanted to get my feet wet for kinda cheap. I knew you guys on the board could help me out and let me know if I should just stick to 33's. An inexpensive risk.

-Ryan
    -Ryan
  • Options
    I think you;ll be satisfied. Post a good scan when you get it so we can compare and guess the grade a little less blindly image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Is that the expensive version?

It is a 5 or a 6, if there are no wrinkles in it.

Scan not good.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    From what I see, I think maybe a 4. touches on all corners, bottom right looks like a ding that was flattened out. Rubber band nick on right side ear level.

Again, a better scan will probably change my opinion--I have a tendency of grading really strict.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ryan, Scan it with the scanner top down and a darker piece of paper behind it. Should be able to tell more about it then.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Judging by my experience, that is a 6 if not a 7! Nice card!

I sent in a Starr RC the other day, and it has a big printers wrinkle (groove ) on the face of the card, 4 fuzzy to slightly round corners, and a gum stain on the back, and it got a 4.

This is no 4.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I say a 5. corners look a little touched for a 6. centering could boost it to a 6 though if no other defects on card.
  • Options
    Here is a recent 5 I sold (bad scan and all) - I'd say your may get a 6, depending on corners...

• Options
    I have another question. I think this card is in the 4-5 range, but I'm not sure if it will get an OC qualifier. I really don't have to worry about OC too much with Goudey's, but I don't want it with an OC qualifier. So, OC or No OC?

-Ryan
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    If you ask for no "Q" the card could only grade as high as the centering miniums allow, and that would be 5 or worse. I also dont like the snow on the Williams. I would stay away from that if you havent already bought it. IMHO

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    you would need to show the back of the card as well on the williams card but seems like a 3 or 4 to me.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Back is clean. Snow shows up way worse on the picture. It is very very light. No wrinkles. I'm 90% in the 4-5 range, but I'm just not sure if it would get an OC qualifier.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I have a 4 of this card with worse centering. I say it's a straight five if no creases.
  • Options
    as a 5, you would not get an oc, but as a 6, it looks like it would be close...80-20.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Well it appears that most graders on this board are tougher than PSA. The Wynn got a 7 NM and the Williams got a 5 EX without a qualifier. Thanks for everybody's help. Keep on keeping on.
    -Ryan