Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coins from Chile

I will be traveling to Santiago, Chile in the near future and would like to get some local coins as souveniers. Does the Chilean Goverment issue proof sets or mint sets? Can anyone recommend a coin shop where I could get them? Any info is appreciated!

Comments

• SciotoScioto Posts: 955

From a local dealer's website.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!

• << <i>image

From a local dealer's website. >>

These are not "official" sets, but sets compiled by a private firm (out of Germany, I believe). That are assembled and distributed. You can find the same sets for about 80 different countries.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon Kuhli's right; a "real" Chilean mint set ought to be in Spanish, or at least be bilingual.

I don't think the Santiago (Chile) mint makes collector sets; the only sets listed in Krause for Chile are a few proof sets from the 1960's and 70's.

Looks like you might have to make do with cherrypicking the circulating coins. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • The mint's site is in Spanish: Casa de Moneda
    Look under Productos, Metalmecanica, Monedas for pictures of the coins and Productos, Impresion de Valores, Billetes for the currency.
    I don't see any option for buying anything but they do have an email contact option.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile