Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANS Medal question. Link added

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
I am about to purchase a silver medal with case and was wondering what the prices are for these. I like the medal and it si very old. The dealer wants $2,000, but will probably take $1,700. Where can I find prices for these? -Dan

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Is this one of the annual commemorative medals? If so, what year? There are very few that would be worth anywhere near that kind of money.

Russ, NCNE
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, what Russ said, with emphasis on "what exactly are you referring to?" The ANA produced (produces?) yearly dated medals that are worth some small amount of money each, like in the $20-$40 range. I can't think of any ANA-related medal that would be worth $2000, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Some board member collects the yearly ANA medals and could probably say more. I don't remember who, tho. Check the archives?

jonathan
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some board member collects the yearly ANA medals and could probably say more. >>

PhillyJoe collects them. Perhaps he'll happen by.

Russ, NCNE
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    Way outta my league. Tough to get pricing on what must be a very old, limited edition, special ANA coin.

With that kind of money on the line I might suggest contacting the ANA at money.org and ask about mintages; perhaps where this specific medal came from.

Forum member astrorat (ANA employee) may be helpful but I haven't seen him post in a while.

I would love to hear more about the medal should you decide to make the purchase.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Okay, Like a dumb*** I do not know the year or what it commemorates because I did not write it down(there are ten medals I am going to offer one set price for). The medal is about 6" in diameter and commemorates 50 years of something?.............. It is turn of the century and comes with its own velvet case. I was really hoping to find some info to compare because I do know what it looks like. I will probably return to the shopand take some pics. By the way, this guy does not usually deal with anything other than antiques.-Dan
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan- I can assure you there are no A.N.A. issue in silver that are worth $1700-$2000. Walk away man. Real fast.
    The A.N.A. was founded in 1891, so anything commemorating 50 years and related to the A.N.A. could not be from the turn-of century time period.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

I know that I should never buy anything in which I know nothing about, but sometimes you see something that catches your eye and you lose some brain cells. I still would like to find some sort of reference for thes medals. Are there any available? -Dan
    If you can provide a more detailed description of the medal, you'll get a more informed opinion. But for now, best to proceed very cautiously. PM me when you get more info.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that I should never buy anything in which I know nothing about, but sometimes you see something that catches your eye and you lose some brain cells. I still would like to find some sort of reference for thes medals. Are there any available? -Dan >>

No. The only reference for this type of material will give price ranges and the top end will be well under this one.

There are lots of things that will catch your eye but when they are medals you should usually be able to pick them up for ten or twenty dollars. A $50 medal is something really special.

Many of these have very low mintages but you can often pick up things with mintages in the single digits for a song.
    Tempus fugit.
    The only medals that the A.N.A. has issued on a regular (annual) basis are the A.N.A. convention medals, which were initially issued in 1912 at Rochester, N.Y. for the 1st annual A.N.A. convention. These were issued with attached ribbon and pin bar, and would not have been presented in a case, since they were issued to attendees to be worn during the convention. Even a 1912 convention medal in pristine condition could be purchased today for $150-$300.

This medal is the size of a small plate and is easily 5 or six ounces of silver. -dan
    Dan, when you can provide specific information on the design of both sides of the medal, including any markings on the medal that would identify the maker(usually on the edge), then we can help you. Pictures would be best. If the antique dealer couldn't or didn't offer to tell you anything about the medal(s), that should have raised a red flag for you anyway. How could anyone possibly justify a $2,000 price tag for anything without even a casual description/history of their wares? Common sense should prevail here. image

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, Like a dumb*** I do not know the year or what it commemorates because I did not write it down(there are ten medals I am going to offer one set price for). The medal is about 6" in diameter and commemorates 50 years of something?.............. It is turn of the century and comes with its own velvet case. I was really hoping to find some info to compare because I do know what it looks like. I will probably return to the shopand take some pics. By the way, this guy does not usually deal with anything other than antiques.-Dan >>

Could it possibly be the American Numismatic SOCIETY? Their fiftieth anniversary would have been "turn of the century."
    Be that as it may, why would you pay $1700 for something you know nothing about?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I should have thought of the ANS, especially since they have a database online. Here is a listing of silver medals in their database relating to their 50th anniversary in 1908. None of them seem "plate-sized" but maybe the descriptions will ring a bell. I wish the database included pictures... :-(

jonathan
    Here is the link for the medal.medal
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They made these in silver. I bought one years ago on a special from B&R. It was impressive. But....fairly cheap.

ST. Gaudens bronze
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANS info on the medal...

1944.124.2: Dept.: ME Obj.Type: ME Reference:
    Region: United States Locality: New York Mint: Whitehead & Hoag
    Material: AR Denom.:
    Weight: Size: 101 Axis: 12
    Date: 1909 / 1909 Era: Date on Obj.: 1909
    Category: Ship|Exploration|Inventors Person: Hudson, H.|Fulton, Robert Dynasty: Issuer: ANS|Hudson - Fulton Celebration Commission
    ObvLegd: DISCOVERY OF HUDSON RIVER BY HENRY HUDSON A D MDCIX THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY HUDSON - FULTON CELEBRATION COMM HALVE MAENE
    ObvType: six men and Hudson looking over skip's side, view of Palisades; side view of ship below
    RevLegd: ROBERT FULTON 1765 - 1815 FIRST USE OF STEAM IN NAVIGATION ON THE HUDSON RIVER 1807
    RevType: bust of Fulton in wreath above three females std. ctr. one holding model of Claremont, to l. and right are views of skyline in 1807, and 1907
    PrevColl.: Douglas, J.
    Color: UnderType: CounterStamp:
    Publication: Symbols: E.FUCHS
    OtherInfo.: in box of issue
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    Here's a listing from the last Goldberg sale for some Hudson-Fulton ANS medals:

"
    Lot 497 1909 Hudson-Fulton Celebration Medals. A trio of official ANS medals by E. Fuchs honoring the event, struck by Whitehead & Hoag. Consists of the 63mm version in silver and a pair of the large medals, one each in bronze and silver, the latter in original case. Grades range from EF to Unc. Lot of 3 pieces.
    Estimated Value $400-500.

Provenance: The Emile A. Tartakow Collection.

Realized $625
    "

If you're looking at only one medal instead of three, I'd expect the price to be quite a bit less than that.

jonathan

<< <i>Here is the link for the medal.medal >>

So, it wasn't a 50th anniversary piece?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I have the Howland Wood 1920 Huntington Medal for sale.

@lance2024 said:
    I have the Howland Wood 1920 Huntington Medal for sale.

The Buy, Sell & Trade board would be an excellent place to share that information.

Unlike resurrecting an unrelated 18-year-old thread, for example.

That was excruciating all over again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file