Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

ebay sellers feedback poll

why is it that many ebay sellers will not leave positive feedback until the buyer does? they get paid first and that should be enough for positive feedback!!!! agree or disagree?

I don't have to fill out the customer satisfaction survey at Nordstrom or Best Buy to get the salesperson to say thanks so why is this loathesome ebay practice so widespread?
Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set

Comments

• Options
    I agree and when selling leave feedback upon receit of payment and buying upon satisfactory receit of goods.

Those that wait to leave feedback when selling site the buyer can receive the product and start nitpicking
    despite proper pics and description and demand partial refund or you get a neg.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I know why sellers withhold feedback, joeyuk is correct! However, I dislike that practice. I have been on ebay for several years with all positive feedback and never gave out negatives, so I have reason to be frustrated when I pay for an item and don't get feedback in return. It eliminates any leverage I have when items arrive not as described. The biggest problem with buying on ebay is that the item is not as described. Rarely does it happen that the item never arrives or is damaged in the mail.

Some sellers make it a habbit of leaving feedback first and they claim that although it leaves them vulnerable to extortion, it rarely happens. What does happen is that customers feel good about it and usually buy from the same seller again. One seller who conducts feedback this way says that she gets tons of thank you emails for leaving feedback first and a lot of repeat business follows because of that trust established between customer and seller.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I agree with above comments. If a seller never leaves me feedback, they never get my business again. I'm the king of multiple purchases from good sellers (have over 5,000 feedback, 100% postive--but my feedback score is only 264 because I continually buy from same sellers).
    I'm "old school" in that I think if someone is plunking down their money-they deserve a "thank you" in the form of feedback. There are many sellers that I bought 10, 20, even up to 40 auctions from at a time, yet they never left feedback and I never came back to buy more.

For all the paranoid sellers who hold feedback hostage, they either don't have confidence in their product, or they are afraid someone will screw them on feedback. I believe if a seller has 200 transactions and withholds feedback--he may well prevent 1 moron from screwing them in the feedback--but at the same time, they lose dozens of potential repeat business. If that was stretched to 1,000 transactions, then they may prevent 5-6 morons from putting a potential blight on their feedback score, but lose over 100 repeat buyers. Not a smart business practice at all.

Plus, any feedback that they get screwed on, all they have to do is use "respond" function and leave a professional explanation beneath that feedback. I buy from many sellers who don't have 100% feedback--I look at their negatives and can usually see very easily which ones are unwarranted, and also see from their response how professional the seller may be. As DeutcherGeist alluded to, it is like blackmail from the seller in that he got your money, but if you are unhappy with the product, you'll get a negative if the issue can't be resolved and you leave the seller a neutral or negative. I've seen sellers leave negatives for buyers (who obviously paid) who had left the seller a neutral. I've even seen some jerkwad sellers leave negatives for buyers who left a postive, but had worded the positive to make a point about either slow service or that things weren't 100% satisfactory.

If you stand behind your product and provide a justified "thank you" to your customers, you will gain so much more in repeat business and more money in your sales. Is it worth losing all that extra business/money just to protect your precious 100% rating?

If you want to withhold feedback on a "newbie" or someone that has left many negatives for others (easily searched by looking at their feedback score and the "feedback left for others"), then I could sort of understand that practice. But if someone like me buys something and has multiple 1000's of all postive feedback, then I see no reason to be paranoid of leaving me feedback.
    All that will happen is that you'll get more of my money in the future as opposed to never seeing me again as a bidder on your acutions.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

"If you want to withhold feedback on a "newbie" or someone that has left many negatives for others (easily searched by looking at their feedback score and the "feedback left for others"), then I could sort of understand that practice."

I can totally understand that practice, and follow it. Everyone else gets positive feedback upon payment. It's worked like a charm for me.

• Options
    I personally think the feedback forum gives you an idea of who your dealing with. but as one wise man told me once you are only as good as your last deal/transaction. I was on sportsnet at one time 90-99. they voted on who was the #1 Sportsnetter was? I even voted for the winner 6 months later the #1 sportsnetter took off with a about 1/2 to 3/4 million dropped his rating
    real quick #1 To #1 Most wanted. As a seller I leave positive feedback about 99% of the time right after I'm paid exception being
    someone who has constantly left negitive feedback after recieving positive or someone who has received say 500 + feedbacks but only left 13 feedback for others. enough rambling. No Answers Here just my opinion. DM
  • Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    If a seller never leaves me feedback and I have a smooth transaction and get a card at a good price, I'll never hesitate to buy from him again.

• Options
    Heres the deal i disagree I'm the seller who has been burned and extorted by a buyer. The buyer buys 8 items he is not happy with 1 item. I offer a refund because i dont have another like it . not good enough for him he wants what he paid for. Obviously I cant provide it. For some unknown reason a refund is not good enough either. What ever i did i could not make this guy happy. So now he has 8 items he can leave feedback for once a week he starts leaving a negative feedback. Mind you he was only unhappy with 1 irtem and admitted the other 7 were great . But when it was over he resold the item on ebay(At a profit) and left me 8 neg feedbacks. Ebay could do nothing. So yes I am now one of those sellers who leave feedback when I get it. I even include a note in my packages that says we will leave feedback when you do the same. I'm sorry if some buyers don't like the practice but some of us have our reasons.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Heres the deal i disagree I'm the seller who has been burned and extorted by a buyer. The buyer buys 8 items he is not happy with 1 item. I offer a refund because i dont have another like it . not good enough for him he wants what he paid for. Obviously I cant provide it. For some unknown reason a refund is not good enough either. What ever i did i could not make this guy happy. So now he has 8 items he can leave feedback for once a week he starts leaving a negative feedback. Mind you he was only unhappy with 1 irtem and admitted the other 7 were great . But when it was over he resold the item on ebay(At a profit) and left me 8 neg feedbacks. Ebay could do nothing. So yes I am now one of those sellers who leave feedback when I get it. I even include a note in my packages that says we will leave feedback when you do the same. I'm sorry if some buyers don't like the practice but some of us have our reasons. >>

Wow
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a very simple soultion for those sellers who do feedback extortion; don't give them feedback either. If they ask "why no feedback?" explain why. If enough buyers do it, the sellers will get the message.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Feedback manners are a mystery to me, but one thing is clear; mess around with people on this board and you are toast here
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think once a seller recieves payment he should leave feedback, personally if I pay for an item in a timely fashion (1-2 days) and get no feedback from a seller then I wont leave any.
  • Options
    I wait to leave feedback when I sell something. It clearly states in my listing that I will leave feedback once feedback is left. once feedback is left that lets me know you have recived your package, and I leave feedback and the person gets what they deserve, if someone gave me a nuetral I would still give them a positive for paying fast, feedback is not only about paying fast it is about the overall transaction if you pay fast and the package gets damaged in the mail and I get an email with foul language and demanding a refund( I always will give a refund) why sould that person get a positive for being uncouth and rude I have a strict 100% money back guarantee My policy is if the customer is happy I am happy . I personally noticed that if i do not do it this way buyers dont leave feedback part of the time and I am sitting in my chair wondering if the package got lost in the mail.

hi to all

Collecting Jordan graded cards,
    Jordan #d cards,

Wanted: Bill Quackenbush cards
  • Options
    dpfitzell, the same could be said for mailing a payment, many times I have e-mailed people wondering if my payment was recieved.

• Options

dpfitzell, the same could be said for mailing a payment, many times I have e-mailed people wondering if my payment was recieved.

You are correct: But I still belive that feedback is not only about paying fast it is about the complete transaction. I do think that if you dont plan to give feedback first it should be put in your listing so people know. Dave
    hi to all

Jordan #d cards,

• Options

<< <i>dpfitzell, the same could be said for mailing a payment, many times I have e-mailed people wondering if my payment was recieved.

You are correct: But I still belive that feedback is not only about paying fast it is about the complete transaction. I do think that if you dont plan to give feedback first it should be put in your listing so people know. Dave >>

I see your point but if I buy a couple hundred dollar item and paypal right away or send payment priority mail a day or so after the auction ends I deserve a positive feedback, IMO its ignorant not to, once I receive my cards I will follow suite and give positive feedback right back. Its a matter of opinion I guess, similar to opinions on manners I quess.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heres the deal i disagree I'm the seller who has been burned and extorted by a buyer. The buyer buys 8 items he is not happy with 1 item. I offer a refund because i dont have another like it . not good enough for him he wants what he paid for. Obviously I cant provide it. For some unknown reason a refund is not good enough either. What ever i did i could not make this guy happy. So now he has 8 items he can leave feedback for once a week he starts leaving a negative feedback. Mind you he was only unhappy with 1 irtem and admitted the other 7 were great . But when it was over he resold the item on ebay(At a profit) and left me 8 neg feedbacks. Ebay could do nothing. So yes I am now one of those sellers who leave feedback when I get it. I even include a note in my packages that says we will leave feedback when you do the same. I'm sorry if some buyers don't like the practice but some of us have our reasons. >>

I guess we know what those reasons are. I IMMEDIATELY leave feedback when payment is received, when I send paypal, I put in the comment box "please be sure to leave feedback once payment is received. I would say about 40% of seller leave when paid. I wont leave if I received until seller has left.
  • Options
    I agree on all points in this conversation,but I think it should be at the sellers descresion, but it should be in black and white in the listing so people have a choice to bid or not. Dave
    hi to all

Jordan #d cards,

• Options
    Dave what your saying is a seller or buyer should be up front before a deal is made that they will/or will not leave feedback? Not sure I agree with you on that, why would someone not leave a positive when they receive payment right away? Is there anything that they want more? Or expect for that matter? Their goal is complete and they should be happy with getting paid, and let the buyer know that they received payment and the item will be sent ASAP.
  • Options
    I think it should just be posted on your listing so the buyer has the choice to bid or not to bid. Like I said before I belive(my opinion) that feedback is about the overall transaction when I first started selling on ebay I used to leave feedback first. Something had got damaged in the mail and the person wrote me being very rude using foul language thretining that they would leave a neg if I did not give a refund, It was their first email to me. It stated on my listing that I will give a 100% refund and I did even though the person was being very disrespectfull. He did not leave a neg but their was no reason for that person to do that I would not of given him a neg for his attidude but I would of left no feedback. Does this person deserve praise because he paid quickley but acted like a major looser when the package obviosly got damaged in the mail also the person chose not to get insurance. I require insurance on all of my listings now because of that reason. I think people on ebay choose to do things a certin way because of their personal experiances with people. Dave
    hi to all

Jordan #d cards,

• Options
    Fair enough I see your point no doubt, I always let people know ( by e-mail )when I recieve the item and give a thanks, at that point if I dont receive a positive then I will not leave any.

• Options
    I agree with you also, I hope that most people dont have an experience like i had.
    hi to all

Jordan #d cards,

• Options
    I too leave feedback first, as I just did a few minutes ago to a guy who bought my 1952 and 1953 Topps reprint sets. After all, the buyer did their part, it's only fair.

Also, I never ask for feedback in return; I let the other person do that on their own. All that matters to me is that their product arrives safe and sound. Feedback is a privledge, not a right.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Estil, I will be looking for your auctions image
  • Options

<< <i>Estil, I will be looking for your auctions image >>

Well, I don't have any auctions at the moment but I do have some spare sets I need to sell/trade for if you're interested. I sent you a PM with all the details.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    I consider customer service my number 1 priority. I ship same day as payment. almost every one is happy I have a 100% and every one seems to be very optomistic. I dont withhold If I recive an email stating that they have recived their pacKage I will leave it first. And I alway leave feedback Immidiatly after it is left. I have two auctions where sellers still have not left feedback even though I have recived package and left positve.
    hi to all

Jordan #d cards,

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave feedback the day I get paid (or the occassional check clears) and when the day I recieve an item. I helps keep my items in order in the Won and Sold sections of My Ebay.

If you get someone who leaves negs for kicks, I think you are already screwed and do have a chance to respond to those negs.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    My feedback is automated, I never leave a feedback comment.

I use a free service www.auctiva.com it leaves feedback for the buyer after they leave it for you.

It sure saves me a lot of time.

AL