Home Sports Talk
Options

The all star game voting is a farse.

zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Utterly stupid. There are 7 or 8 guys that are starting tat have 7 or 8 guys better than the in their respective leagues. What a joke.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    So what?

It's a fan popularity game.

Sometimes poularity coincides with performance, sometimes not.

The all star game is not about pure performance...never has been, never will be.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>So what?

It's a fan popularity game.

Sometimes poularity coincides with performance, sometimes not.

The all star game is not about pure performance...never has been, never will be. >>

So you're ok with a popularity contest determining the world series winner?

How does Verlander AND Liriano get left off, when they are two of the best pitchers in the AL? Not only that, they're young too! Why doesn't MLB want to build up their young stars like the NBA does? This would have been an awesome way to get some exposure to those small market teams.

Instead, we are stuck with 6 Ny mets (4 starters) and the entire infield made up of YankSox.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's that big of a deal. Players tend to have to wait a bit to get in then they usually get in a couple of times when they shouldn't.

Seems to even out, the guys who get punished are the ones that have one or two good years and the ones stuck behind a superstar.

One guy who comes to mind that missed out was Kent Hrbek, he was stuck behind Mattingly, a great player from a huge population base.

New Yourk and Boston have big populations and have some pretty darn good players too.

The all-star game is an exhibition and I really don't see the harm in letting the fans vote. The writers aren't any better than the fans and the players don't see all of the other players in the league.

Why not keep the DH in every year? That would open up a spot for a good hit no field type. I really don't want to see the pitchers hit, and the double switches aren't entertaining to the casual fan.

Yes, I think Mauer and Liriano should be in, if they continue to excel, they will be.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Its the fan's game so they can do it any ay they want.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    It's also a farce.

Maybe they should change the name to the "Fan's Favorite Exhibition Game" as opposed to the All-Star Game.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>It's also a farce.

Maybe they should change the name to the "Fan's Favorite Exhibition Game" as opposed to the All-Star Game. >>

The name is fine as it is.

"All-Star" means "star" players...which means "POPULAR" players.

I think you are looking for a "Best Perfomance Exhibition Game".
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's also a farce.

Maybe they should change the name to the "Fan's Favorite Exhibition Game" as opposed to the All-Star Game. >>

The name is fine as it is.

"All-Star" means "star" players...which means "POPULAR" players.

I think you are looking for a "Best Perfomance Exhibition Game". >>

It can't be called an all-star game if it has players who aren't 'stars'. Tell me which planet you live on that considers Redman a 'star'?

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    What JoeBanzai said.