Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1880-S NGC MS-64 PL (Old "Fat" Holder) 2-Sided Brown Toned Morgan Dollar -- New vs Origina

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I purchased this pretty 1880-S NGC MS-64 PL 2-Sided Brown Toned Morgan Dollar tonight on Teletrade, which is in one of the old "fat" keyless NGC holders.

I love the brown toning that many of the coins in this type of holder develop over the years! image

1880-S NGC MS-64 PL 2-Sided Brown Toned Morgan Dollar
imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice Stuart......nice strike!
    Brian
  • Options
    777777 Posts: 1,056
    Looks like a good pick-up image
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! I thought that she looked like a pretty original two-sided Prooflike toner. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    I received this coin yesterday and am very pleased with how it looks in person. The overall color is a bit more reddish brown than in the following TT auction photos, with nearly DMPL Cameo Obverse, and PL Reverse with evident die striations so often seen in the early San Francsico Mint Morgan Dollars.

It is truly a beautiful original 2-sided Toned Morgan Dollar in an old Fat NGC keyless slab. I generally love the look of Toned Morgans in this type of holder. image

However, it took over 2 weeks for TeleTrade to ship it to me even with Instant PayPal payment... image

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    Here are new photographs (top images) that I took this evening of my 1880-S NGC MS-64 PL (Old "Fat" Holder) 2-Sided Brown Toned Morgan Dollar previously posted on this forum. Original auction photos reposted (bottom images) for reference.

1880-S NGC MS-64 Brown Toned Morgan Dollar

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    First of all I am on your side I like that sort of toning too. I am surprised at the difference in coloring on the photo as I purchased a toner from them and they had the photo spot on.

Edited to add: is that a clash mark in her left field or toning break?
  • Options
    IrishMike: This specific coin has a more reddish hue in person as demonstrated in my new photos, as compared to the more greenish-brown appearance in the original TT auction photos.

Stuart

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the old ANACS holders seem to develop their own kind of toning too... I'm referring to the ones that have 2 letters and a 4 digit number code. I like it!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    IrishMike: I do not see any clash marks on this coin. Are you referring to the contact mark to the right of Miss Liberty on the obverse?? Or something else??

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file