Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone collect magazine covers?

My wife was the Goodwill store yesterday blowing some money and happened upon a LIFE magazine from '56 with Mantle on the cover. Its got a mailing label on it, but is in great shape. Ive already done the ebay search to get a gauge for the value, and frankly, the old lady did good! Was only $1!

In the same breath, I wonder if/when some company will come along and start grading vintage magazines? I know LIFE and National Geographic, etc are always available, but when I looked up "mantle" for magazines.... not a whole lot there. Add in the 3rd party aspect, and trying to find a vintage mag in great shape (no missing pages, bent pages, no mailing label, etc) and I think they may be a decent investment, plus, I KNOW it will look good in a small frame on the wall....

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I have an autographed jim brown time magazine cover from the 60s, not a whole lot of them out there but very low demand.

I framed it like you said, I like it a lot even though it's not worth much.
  • Options
    one of my favorites:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TPB

Ya did GREAT!!!!!!

6/25/56 - Life - Mickey Mantle - $125.

source: Standard Catalog of Sports Memorabilia - 3rd edition.

Of course condition is important. This is probably for one that is nearmint with no label.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I only collect them if they are autographed. A few framed items in my collection include.....
    1)Babe Ruth autographed Spalding sport show cover (psa/dna)
    2) 1983 All-Star program autographed by 75 HOF's (psa/dna)
    3) Ted Williams 1955 SI cover (UDA)
    4) 1982 43rd annual HOF program signed by 25 HOF's (psa/dna)
    Rich
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Rich- do you have scans you can post? I'd love to see Ruth and Williams!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Griffins....I would be happy to show you pictures. How do you post pictures on this board? otherwise, what is your email?
    Rich
  • Options
    Would love to see that Ted Williams SI.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up on the Mantle cover.

I believe GAI grades Magazines??

I collect covers of Hall of Famers from Sports Illustrated.

That Ruth must be a nice piece.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Rich-
    to post pictures, the key is to get the URL of the image you're wanting to post. Not the page with it on it, but the actual image url.
    If you're on a pc, you right click on the image (I think, or maybe it's left click) It should bring up a menu, and you select "copy image address"
    If you are on a Mac hold the control button down while clicking to bring up the menu.

Once you've done that, start the post as usual, and when you want to insert the image click on the picture frame on the toolbar above your post (it's the 4th from the left, just before the "http" with the chain link). It will bring up a box to paste in the url of the image that you copied. Hit OK and you're good to go.
    Best of luck. Looking forward to seeing the images. If you have problems pm me and I'll send you my email, and I can post them for you.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Williams magazine somewhere that was signed.

But also, a while back UDA produced an SI Cover auto item:

I would also like to see the Ruth auto.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Griffins....I would be happy to show you pictures. How do you post pictures on this board? otherwise, what is your email?
    Rich >>

RichG,

I was going to PM you a link to a thread explaining how to use PhotoBucket.com, but you don't have your PM turned on. You can read the thread by clicking on this link.

I've got a lot of magazine covers, but mostly Puckett/Twins-related stuff. I'll have to see if I've got anything that might be of interest to share here...

Good luck posting a pic!

Nice idea, TPB. Congrats on your pickup!

• Options
    Thanks for the info regarding linking guys. When I get back from work tonight I'll try to post a picture of the Ruth (If I don't get a chance tonight then I'll try it Tuesday morning as I'll be home all day).
    Have a great day all

ps....The SI cover of Williams that Stone has is exactly like the one I have.
    Rich
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    bump
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.