Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2001 Pujols Bowman chrome VS Donruss Elite auto

Good afternoon all:
I ran across an ebay auction for a 2001 Donruus Elite Pujols auto with a buy it now price of rooughly $1,500. Only the first 100 of these were signed compared to 500 Bowman Chrome cards. Why do you think the Bowman Chrome card carries such a premium over the Elite? I actually sold a bowman chrome a couple of weeks ago for $3500. It doesn't make sense to me?
Rich

Comments

• Options
    Its all about demand. IMHO the Bowman rookie is alot better looking card. Many time rarity has nothing to do with value.
  • Options
    Bowman is a longer running brand with a much larger following(Topps/Bowman etc.) and it's visually more appealing. Also, the Bowman Chrome refractor auto was a redemption which makes it even rarer.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I myself do agree that the bowman chrome is a better looking card (not by much though). Plus, I do understand that the bowman chrome was a redemption only card, but I have a feeling that there are more than 100 bowman chrome cards in circualtion which makes the Donruss Elite more rare (do a search on ebay ending auctions and compare the qunity of bowman chrome cards sold in the last month compared to elite autos). My gut feeling is that the premium comes from the fact that "bowman" is considered the "king of Rookie" cards.
    Rich
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Donruss Elite Turn of the century pujols auto is very underrated.....Not only was it from expensive packs (more expensive than bowman chrome) but the card is also Hand signed (no Stickers) and die cut, and numbered to only 100 (not to mention the card is very eye appealing with its rainbow refractive finish)....this card is easily the most undervalued and underappreciated pujols rookie card....

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I myself do agree that the bowman chrome is a better looking card (not by much though). Plus, I do understand that the bowman chrome was a redemption only card, but I have a feeling that there are more than 100 bowman chrome cards in circualtion which makes the Donruss Elite more rare (do a search on ebay ending auctions and compare the qunity of bowman chrome cards sold in the last month compared to elite autos). My gut feeling is that the premium comes from the fact that "bowman" is considered the "king of Rookie" cards.
    Rich >>

FWIW I think you made a savvy decision. Bowman may at the top of the heap for now, but who knows how things will change as time presses on? In any case it seems utterly irrational that an autographed card with 1/5 the print run of another similar card will stay this much cheaper forever.
  • Options
    ^^Remember though, the Bowman was a redemption so in truth all may not have been redeemed as well as more than likely there are some still in packs!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Topps Collector:
    I doubt all the bowman chrome redemptions were redeamed. However, I figure there must be a lot more than 100 in circulation because there are always a couple of bowman chrome cards on ebay but rarely do I see the Elite auto for sale.

When I sold my bowman chrome last month, I only listed it to see what kind of offers I would receive. Like I said earlier, nothing in my collection is untouchable (money talks). On the other side of the coin, if I see something I want, I'll buy it regardless of cost. No way in heck was I going to pass up the rarer Donruss Elite auto for roughly $1500.
    Rich
  • Options
    ^^
    I agree with you that more than 100 were redeemed. There are some untouchables in my collection, but they aren't worth nowhere near that Bowman auto so I just hold on to them. I do like the Elite, and I even though I'm not one to toss big money on modern cards if I had just sold the bowman and picked up the Elite for 2K less I'd figure it a steal.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Reading this post makes me want the Elite....
  • Options
    Yes the elite is a top 3 Pujols rookie card...but the most undervalued card may be this fleer lumberjack Auto.....the card is hand signed, and has the biggest game used bat slice of anycard short of a barrel and is available only in limited quantities (100)....

i think the game used aspect really is underappreciated in this card!

not to mention it has to be one of the coolest looking cards around ever!!

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fandango,

I just love the avatar! image

I will say that I think that for the money, the 2001 Finest Pujols auto rookie might be the best buy. Just my opinion.

Shane

• Options
    fandango - SWEET bat/auto card!

the bowman chrome auto card just has brand recognition - hence, the demand - hence the value of the card. in the end, it has to be about what you like (and can afford). otherwise, it's just about an investment and not necessarily a hobby.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Whew,

I saw this thread at the top of the page, opened it and saw RichG's name.....thought he came back from the dead !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    did he really pass???