Home Stamps Forum
Options

Pictures of stamps for avatar use.

Would someone here on the stamp forum be willing to take some pictures of some stamps and get them submitted so we can use them for avatatrs? I can't figure out how to do it and can't get anybody to tell me. So, it would be easier for me to send the stamps to someone and pay them to do it. Thanks.

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how to do anything. I can't even post a photo of any of my graded stamps. Maybe I need to get "video professor" HA HA
  • Options
    Jerry , I can take pictures of stamps and put them on the pc or a disc . I'm a long ways from a pro tho.

Tomimage
    Stamp collecting is a great hobby.Everybody needs a hobby to keep you young.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    If you have a digital camera with macro mode, you should be able to photograph them fairly easily. Just crop the images and upload them on icon upload day.
  • Options
    So what is icon upload day. I mean, I can figure out it is a day when we can upload icon pictures, but how often does it occur? Is it announced on all forums or just certain ones? Can only certain level users upload icons or can anyone upload icons? Is the icon upload day the only time icons can be uploaded or can they be uploaded at other times, just using different procvedures? etc. I'd appreciate any help on this since I'm a new visitor to these collector's Universe forums.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Icon upload day is the 15th of each month, or a day close to that if it falls on a weekend. To load an icon, you pretty much need to take a day off if you don't have a computer at work and work days. We used to be able to load them at any time, but not surprisingly there was a lot of stuff being uploaded that had to be deleted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Will be away from a computer the 15th of this month, but will try to watch for an announcement of the icon day in Aug.
  • Options

<< <i>If you have a digital camera with macro mode, you should be able to photograph them fairly easily. Just crop the images and upload them on icon upload day. >>

Thanks. I'll get right on it.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry , I can take pictures of stamps and put them on the pc or a disc . I'm a long ways from a pro tho.

Tomimage >>

Thanks, but then what do I do with them.
  • Options
    Jerry, I was reading about icon upload day and its the 14th of this month. I'll try to do it for you if you want.Never done it before.What stamps do you want pictures of?
    Stamp collecting is a great hobby.Everybody needs a hobby to keep you young.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    You can scan the stamps also.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Thanks for the responses. What I was hoping to do is this: A couple weeks ago, a coin forum participant took about 20 awesome pictures of different coins. He uploaded them into CU's forum icon database for people to use. My idea is to find some one to take pictures of about 10 different stamps and get them uploaded for people who want a stamp avatar to use. So, a couple weeks ago I PMed the person and asked if he would do it and offered to pay to have it done. In so many words he said...NO...actually, it was done by not replying to my PM*. I also contacted another coin person who advertises his coin photography business back in May and he said I'd have to wait until August. I don't know if that was a nice way of saying NO or not.

Another forum member is presently helping me get a picture of a coin done and uploaded. I'm paying him and don't mind one bit. If that is the only way to get help and learn, then that's what I have to do. If it works out ok, I'll see what he would charge to have about 10 stamps done for avatars. If he is game, then maybe we can work something out for other stamp forum members to put in a stamp that they want.

Jerry

*I can handle NO. But, choosing the method of ignoring to say NO just doesn't cut it. This guy is a coin dealer. The next time I see him at a coin show I'm going to ask him face to face right at his table what his problem is. I don't take this kind of treatment from anybody anymore. Especially someone I looked up to at one time.
  • Options

<< <i>You can scan the stamps also >>

I have a scanner if that helps., don't know if I have any stamps that someone would like for avatars. For mine I found a stamp pic that
    I liked then shrank it , using The Gimp (photo software) avatars have to be 10K or less. You could just find pics and then shrink them using
    whatever photo software is available in Windows.

P.S Try not to let them hurt your feelings Jerry. image
  • Options
    Hi Jerry,

Just got to read your post.

I have thousands of scanned stamp pictures. Snag is most are above 10kb which I use for auctions.

The one here is also not the perfect size.

If you have access to this software of shrinking such stamp images.

I would need to know what stamp images you are looking for.

should the shrinkage software work for you my suggestion is to look at my STORE

Could take it from there though I think you would want US issues !

Enjoy your hobby !
    Erich
    Offer quality British Africa, Commonwealth, Africa philatelic material.
  • Options
    I have something in the works now!!!! It's going to be until August before he is set up. Thanks for everybody's offers to help.

Jerry