Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New T3 Turkey Red cabinet slabs..what do you think?

Now these babies really shine!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, They look really nice! Are they yours? I am not really into vintage but those look great.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    No, I wish they were mine. Actually I just got an email update from SGC and these new holder will debut soon. I think that they look fabulous!

I might have to start a T3 collection!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say...

I think I like the looks of the SGC holder a bit better.

But, also, isn't it kind of like sitting in a Coke stock holder's meeting and extolling the virtues of Pepsi?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    SGC doesnt have one creative ounce in the whole company ...

Im all for a hobby that supports a good balance of grading companies, but they should also add features that enhance the way we collect.

SGC simply follows whatever PSA develops.

It takes time, man power and money to come out with a winning idea.

They took grading to the mainstream, invested a lot in trying to convince collectors to grade their cards ...this was a whole new concept back then.

Then they one of the most genious marketing ideas ...The set registry.

They go out of their way to offer many services such as PSA/DNA , grading tickets, grading balls, larger holders... you name it.

they have to take the hit if some of these ideas dont work ...which im sure some have failed.

And what does SGC does ...create a 100 point scale ...yeah

They are a useless company when it comes to being innovate and offering the collector any new fresh ideas and ways to collect.

They copy the registry...just like that ...they copy PSA/DNA ...larger holders ...years after PSA.

Dont get me wrong i do trust their grading ...but i wish they could be more creative.

They market themselves as an alternative to PSA ...but they are not.

At least GAI has tried...they have tried to be different by offering pack grading, pre screening of cards etc, a few ideas didnt work out like the first graded thing and the all incluse registry...but at least they tried.

Imagen you own a business and you spend hours working on a way to make your customers happier and also increase your profits...you took a lot of risks but you made it work ...then a lazy competitor simply copies your products.. puts a different name on it and markets it as "new"

Perfectly legal ...but it still sucks and the comsumer gets nothing out of this.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I disagree, SGC was the first to start grading tall boy cards. If it wasn't for them PSA wouldn't have any motivation and us 1% of the collecting hobby would be dirt under the shoe of CU. I bet that if enough big timers complained that mylar sleeve PSA uses would be gone.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I personally like PSA's T3 holder more. Just a simple and effective design that puts all the emphasis on the card itself.
    And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    Steve Rocchi created the psa registry. I suppose you do not like gai either.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    The cards are nice regardless of holder. I'd hate to think that I'd be discouraged from posting a new acquisition I was proud of because it didn't happen to be in a PSA holder. The great majority of my slabbed cards are PSA in any case.

I'll say this about the GAI and SGC black cores - they do often set off a card nicely - but, not in the case of a black bordered card! I've never cared for a '71 topps, '85 Donruss etc. in a black border holder.

For my free marketing tip of the day - to no one in particular - if GAI and/or SGC were to come up with a white core to be used when slabbing a black-bordered card, I think they'd be on to something - if it were determined to be cost-feasible. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of my graded cards are PSA also but, I think those T3s look excellent in those SGC holders. The black background looks great with those cards. I wish I owned a T3 in any holder.
  • Options
    calleocho - please dont hold back, tell us how you really feel.

My intention was not to start a discussion over which company has more marketing wonderboys on their payroll. I just wanted to show off the new slab since it looks really sharp.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>SGC doesnt have one creative ounce in the whole company ...

Im all for a hobby that supports a good balance of grading companies, but they should also add features that enhance the way we collect.

They took grading to the mainstream, invested a lot in trying to convince collectors to grade their cards ...this was a whole new concept back then.

They go out of their way to offer many services such as PSA/DNA , grading tickets, grading balls, larger holders... you name it.

they have to take the hit if some of these ideas dont work ...which im sure some have failed.

They are a useless company when it comes to being innovate and offering the collector any new fresh ideas and ways to collect.

They copy the registry...just like that ...they copy PSA/DNA ...larger holders ...years after PSA.

Dont get me wrong i do trust their grading ...but i wish they could be more creative.

At least GAI has tried...they have tried to be different by offering pack grading, pre screening of cards etc, a few ideas didnt work out like the first graded thing and the all incluse registry...but at least they tried.

Imagen you own a business and you spend hours working on a way to make your customers happier and also increase your profits...you took a lot of risks but you made it work ...then a lazy competitor simply copies your products.. puts a different name on it and markets it as "new"

Perfectly legal ...but it still sucks and the comsumer gets nothing out of this. >>

WHAT???? The consumer GETS NOTHING OUT OF THIS???!!! If the lazy competitor does a better job then the original firm, or does the same job but at a cheaper price, then the consumer gains immensely.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Seeing this SGC crap displayed on a PSA board reminds me of the hippies protesting the veterans parades on Memorial Day. While you may think we have no business over there in Iraq, I happen to support our troops!

July 4th is right around the corner. What's the matter with you people? Is nothing sacred to you?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>The cards are nice regardless of holder. I'd hate to think that I'd be discouraged from posting a new acquisition I was proud of because it didn't happen to be in a PSA holder. >>

original

Not at all. I believe one can post what they have and we will all enjoy it.

This isn't someone asking about the "card" - they are asking about the "holder."

Southern is only showing what is now available for comparison. The potential problem with that is how people "infer" the message.

Some might think there's an "agenda" outside of just providing information.

I didn't infer anything but others might - depending on who the messenger is?

This is a favorite card of mine:

Not a PSA - and I'm not smart enough to have an agenda. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I personally like PSA's T3 holder more. Just a simple and effective design that puts all the emphasis on the card itself. >>

Jeff
    I see your point - but I have to say - what does it for me is the smaller flip - my eye is drawn more to the card than the flip with SGC.

I've got what I think is an "undersized" T3 - I'm willing to see if they can "custom" fit it into the holder.

We'll see.

Thanx for your POV
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I had a few 19th-century cards in SGC holders and while I think they are attractive, they were too big. Too much plastic takes up more room and as evident by the new T3 holders, they are getting worse for they are much, much bigger than they should be.
  • Options
    The consumer gets nothing...the prices are similar ..the product is similar.

No innovation whatsoever.

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Slabbed ...

Steve Rochhi did not create the registry.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>SGC doesnt have one creative ounce in the whole company ...

Perfectly legal ...but it still sucks and the comsumer gets nothing out of this. >>

The only reason PSA is creative is to increase revenues. There is no care or though for the collector. They are a public company with a significant amount of pressure to come up with new ways to get more money. SGC does certain things better (Guarantee, Service, Consistency, Trust, Accruacy, Half Grades, presentation of holder). I really do not care that they do not come up with more gimmicks. I care that they concentrate on the fundamentals of grading and serving collectors and not chasing other activities that takes away from their core competenance, which is grading. They have been very innovative in improving grading of cards for the general public and serving collectors more than any other company. Now if you want them to start grading RC Cola cans or back issues of Baseball Cards Magazine, then they are not for you. If you want cards graded, they are a great choice.
  • Options
    Stone - you hit the nail precisely on the head. Very astute comments. Thank you!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The consumer gets nothing...the prices are similar ..the product is similar.

No innovation whatsoever. >>

Lol. The consumer gets competition, for one thing, which goes one hell of a long way towards preventing any firm from gaining monopoly power. Wanna guess how much you'd pay to get your cards graded if the only legitimate third party grader out there was PSA?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The consumer gets nothing...the prices are similar ..the product is similar.

No innovation whatsoever. >>

Lol. The consumer gets competition, for one thing, which goes one hell of a long way towards preventing any firm from gaining monopoly power. Wanna guess how much you'd pay to get your cards graded if the only legitimate third party grader out there was PSA? >>

I agree Boo.

Even if the competition is a total "knock-off" of the original, it creates tension in the market. It keeps a company from becoming set in their ways, complacent, arrogant and prevents them from losing sight of their main mission - which is to provide quality service.

A monopoly - many times - will become self-serving.

The very "presence" of a second entity can only serve the good of the consumer. The result?
    A better chance one will get great service at the most affordable rate.

I just got this off the back of my Bud bottle!

Mike
  • Options
    Competition is a good thing ...

The concept of "building the better mouse trap" is a wonderful one, But this its not the case with SGC

Lets look at GAI vs SGC

GAI was a late entry into the grading game (althought they have a ton of experience)

They have roughly the same presence on high end auctions and ebay as SGC...which is amazing considering the time.

They were the first in pack grading, and addded features to a holder which is hard to do since a holder is by all means fairly simple.

They had ideas like the all inclusive registry, which never got under way ...but they tried.

I strongly believe that our hobby can support at least 3 top tier grading companies...This will offer enough competition to keep prices moderate and ensure good costumer service and good turn around times.

However...my problem with SGC has never been their grading...They are very solid when it comes to that.

My problem is that their only source of competiton with PSA is copying their ideas and keeping prices down.

Is that good for consumers?

yes.

But its not a better mouse trap ..its the same one.

To me whats the best for consumer involves a combination of value and services.

Services that expand the way we collect, services that tap into a demand and services that will ensure future revenue for the company.

Let me say this I own many SGC graded cards ..they are fine graders. But they do not innovate and their biggest money maker is pre war cards...

Tell me how can a company have a long term plan, when they have a niche in the most finite area of gradeable cards and do not have the motivation to be creative?
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>

GAI was a late entry into the grading game (althought they have a ton of experience)

They have roughly the same presence on high end auctions and ebay as SGC...which is amazing considering the time.
    >>

When GAI was first formed, Mike and Steve did a great job getting their products into the major auctions houses. However, during the last 2 years, SGC has a sound position of 2nd in the amount of cards at major auctions (Hunt, Mastro, Goodwins, SCP, Huggins etc.)
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When GAI was first formed, Mike and Steve did a great job getting their products into the major auctions houses. However, during the last 2 years, SGC has a sound position of 2nd in the amount of cards at major auctions (Hunt, Mastro, Goodwins, SCP, Huggins etc.) >>

Having Derek Grady leave SGC for Mastro sure didn't hurt!
    Since Dave Forman took over SGC every move they have made has been a good one. No matter what company you chose to have grade your cards all collectors benefit from strong competition. As GAI has stalled SGC has really stepped up, and resulting competition between PSA and SGC has helped every collector of graded cards.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Tell me how can a company have a long term plan, when they have a niche in the most finite area of gradeable cards and do not have the motivation to be creative? >>

calle
    Great question!

You would have to be the fly on the wall to know what's going on in the conference room.

But, I promise you, these guys are smart and occasionally have brainstorming sessions - they will take feedback they get, bring in their advertising agent, e.g., marketing dept. rep and talk about "where" the company is going.

They have one big reason to have the motivation to be creative and think - even outside the box - money.

No company wants to stagnate - just reading their own boards gives them ideas.

One "niche" leads to another, and another and another.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Its been years Stone...they are not a new company.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    but they do have a new owner, and a new marketing agency. Both are highly motivated to take it to the next level.
    I don't care as much who does something first, just who does it best.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Its been years Stone...they are not a new company. >>

Sorry, as Anthony just responded - I was thinking "in the present."

I know what you mean tho.

Sometimes inertia just takes over in life.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I hope the plastic is stronger then the flimsy junk they use for their regular holders or these will chip like crazy at that size.