Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Congress authorizes coin for Braille

News Link

Republicans and Democrats worked together to get this coin through.The Mint to issue up to 400,000 silver-dollar commemorative coins in 2009.

So they can get along.image

How rare will one of these coins be that doesn't have fingerprints on them in ten years?

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Another in the line of 2007, 2008 & 2009 commemoratives that are stupid and a waste of time.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I for one am always happy at any new offering, to me it isn't stupid or a waste of time.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Finally, the blind can spend coins. Just in the nick of time, too, before they are obsolete.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    the news department at yahoo and at the AP must have been slow, this was news in March
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002

<< <i>the news department at yahoo and at the AP must have been slow, this was news in March >>

Passed the Senate June 29, 2006.

Link to bill.

I like the specifics of the bill.

SEC. 3. COIN SPECIFICATIONS.

(a) In General- The Secretary of the Treasury (hereafter in this Act referred to as the `Secretary') shall mint and issue not more than 400,000 $1 coins bearing the designs specified in section 4(a), each of which shall--

(1) weigh 26.73 grams;

(2) have a diameter of 1.500 inches; and

(3) contain 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper.

(b) Legal Tender- The coins minted under this Act shall be legal tender, as provided in section 5103 of title 31, United States Code.

(c) Numismatic Items- For purposes of section 5134 of title 31, United States Code, all coins minted under this Act shall be considered to be numismatic items.

SEC. 4. DESIGN OF COINS.

(a) Design Requirements-

(1) IN GENERAL- The design of the coins minted under this Act shall be emblematic of the life and legacy of Louis Braille.

(2) OBVERSE- The design on the obverse shall bear a representation of the image of Louis Braille.

(3) REVERSE- The design on the reverse shall emphasize Braille literacy, and shall specifically include the word for Braille in Braille code (the Braille capital sign and the letters Brl) represented in a way that complies with section 3 of specification 800 of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped of the Library of Congress specifications for Braille, and is tactilely indiscernible from printed or written Braille.

(4) DESIGNATION AND INSCRIPTIONS- On each coin minted under this Act, there shall be--

(A) a designation of the value of the coin;

(B) an inscription of the year `2009'; and

(C) inscriptions of the words `Liberty', `In God We Trust', `United States of America', and `E Pluribus Unum'.

(b) Selection- The design for the coins minted under this Act shall be--

(1) selected by the Secretary, after consultation with the Commission of Fine Arts and the National Federation of the Blind; and

(2) reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

• Options
  • Options
    Yes I saw your link before but there were 3 versions of the bill and it is honoring a French person so it could've died but it was approved official a few days ago.
  • Options
    could be worse, they could be honoring Chirac
  • Options
    From February 28 until June 26 they take to get the finally wording of this bill to pass. Is this normal for all coins?
  • Options
    There are blind people who collect coins. And as far as I know there is no outreach program set up for them.

Jerry
  • Options
    Explain outreach program, please. How have they coped thus far?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to have all of the lettering and numbering in braille. I can just see two old coin guys twenty years from now arguing about the date the coin was minted. image

David
  • Options

<< <i>There are blind people who collect coins. And as far as I know there is no outreach program set up for them. >>

Are you serious?? Or are you just assuming there must be, because blind people do a lot of things we wouldn't expect.

I'm guessing what they collect is specialized. If I were blind I would want to feel what I have, so slabs and MS coins are out. High relief coins and medals might be nice... I wouldn't engage in these endless silly debates about NT vs AT...
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    May be for a good cause but I wouldn't purchase any of the coins.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>Explain outreach program, please. How have they coped thus far? >>

1. I can't explain an outreach program for the blind when it comes to coin collecting. I want to start something but don't have the resources to. I brought it one time and it went over like a lead balloon. I've seen 3 blind people at different shows. Maybe they are the only 3. I don't know.

2. I can see so I don't know how a blind person copes with this hobby. They obviously have to touch the coins for their enjoyment. I imagine they buy coins still in the 2 X 2 then take them out as quickly as possible so they can read them..."Hey, this dealer ripped me off! I can FEEL this coin has been cleaned."

That's all I'm going to say on the subject because the whole thing is depressing and pizzes me off.

Jerry
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>From February 28 until June 26 they take to get the finally wording of this bill to pass. Is this normal for all coins? >>

Actually it isn't, it is unusually fast. Often it can take years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are blind people who collect coins. And as far as I know there is no outreach program set up for them. >>

Are you serious?? Or are you just assuming there must be, because blind people do a lot of things we wouldn't expect.

I'm guessing what they collect is specialized. If I were blind I would want to feel what I have, so slabs and MS coins are out. High relief coins and medals might be nice... I wouldn't engage in these endless silly debates about NT vs AT... >>

And really the point is, this is just another feel good exercise by Congress. You must assume that the blind have gotten along fine up to now using coins. So this is an expenditure of publc monies ostensibly for a very small segment of society, which has done fine up to now, and any concern about the coin collecters among the blind is ludicrous. Talk about a small segment of a small segment of society. Those two guys have to estatic.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should put braille on currency (some other countries do). The blind can tell what the coins are by feeling the size.
  • Options

<< <i>How rare will one of these coins be that doesn't have fingerprints on them in ten years? >>

LOL......you're a bad man.....LOL
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    This should help the graders at some TPG companies immensely in at least getting the attribution right image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like it's going to be a nice commemorative.IMO. Something different for once. Except the Alabama quarter had Braille too.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It's a good way to raise awareness for Braille. Despite technological advances such as books on tape and computer text to audio devices, Braille is still important to the blind to develop literacy, i.e., the ability to read and write. Nowadays only about 25% of the blind in the US know Braille.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i><< There are blind people who collect coins. And as far as I know there is no outreach program set up for them. >>

Are you serious?? Or are you just assuming there must be, because blind people do a lot of things we wouldn't expect. >>

I would expect that there are blind collectors. I have also over the years run into contemporary references to at least two coin dealers that were blind. (Literally, not a crack or complaint about the dealers grading ability.)
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Well, since they do commemorative silver every year I don't consider this to be just another coin. I think it is cool that they chose this for the design of that year and will look forward to it. I would rather have this commemorative than another generic silver eagle.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great... every coin minted will get a fingerprint image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file