Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can somebody explain "Superbird"?

What's so special about the 1952 proof quarters that they have the nickname, "Superbird?" What's so super about it?
image Scottish Fold Gold

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    There is an "extra" S mint mark right on the eagle's breast -- like superman -- thus the name....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link that explains it.

Superbird

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ....its more impressive when you hum the Superman theme song...

trust me!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe it is an actual S mintmark, rather, there was a an imperfection on the die that caused a mark on the breast of the eagle that can be viewed as an S.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe it is an actual S mintmark >>

I agree, it looks more like a mint employee gouged the die - the S is not perfectly formed.

Edited for spelling.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    There's a pair of Superbirds up for auction on Teletrade Sunday or Monday, can't remember which auction I was browsing.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe it is an actual S mintmark, rather, there was a an imperfection on the die that caused a mark on the breast of the eagle that can be viewed as an S. >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the engraver responsible is rumored to be the grandfather of the engraver responsible for the Wisconsin extra leaf Quarters. hey, the apple never falls too far from the tree. this time it just happend to be the second generation away, almost like the biblical myth that the sins of the father will be served upon the third generation.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Learn something everyday -- I thought it was just my way of reacting with a certain hand gesture after hearing the asking price of a modern quarter. I have extra large hands. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    It and the scratched bison are to varieties what rap is to music.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    And I always thought it was a sandwich at Denny's.
  • Options
    I currently have an NGC PR 66 example. The variety is very difficult to see with the naked eye. You need a glass to view the possible "S" mint mark. It also has to be rotated correctly to actually see the variety. Reminds me of the Speared Bison, you have to turn the coin at a certain angle to notice the possible variety.

Touchdown
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I never knew this coin existed!! Ya know, as it's the year I was born, I'm now on a tear to find one.

Roger
    SafeCracker

My Indian Name is: Runs With Beer
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a child's superhero...image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Here I always thought that it was a Plymouth......Hell of a car!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a typical "grocery getter" equipped 1970 Plymouth Superbird in mint condition now goes for close to $100,000. I'm still kicking myself for letting a #1 restored, original owner car get out of my local area for $36K back in 1996.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    You draw that yourself Dizzy? image
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    He said he was going to start showing his own images.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You draw that yourself Dizzy? image >>

I wish I could draw that good.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    I have several 1952 proof quarters and 1 of them is a superbird! image It's beautifully toned too! image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

And no, I don't normally cruise spandexwear.com. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file