Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit Semi-Key Date Morgans clipping a lot of folks. Update: Good! They shut this guy down.

You just about can't buy a coin on FleaBay unless you already know the seller. I'm used to sorting through the fake Trade Dollars...but to now see counterfeit Morgans cropping up in the semi key dates, is really frustrating. I enjoyed buying VG8-XF raw Morgans off EBAY, and could even get a nice semi key date every now and then for a fair price. But here are the asians offering decent looking fake semi key dates...and lots of uninitiated folks are going to get clipped pretty good.

First up an 1895-O that looks like a strong XF...but...uh-oh....I don't think any 1895-O's ever came with a micro-O reverse! Hey, if it's real, I just passed on a discovery coin!

1895-O Counterfeit In My Opinion

Next up is an 1885-CC. For 3 years I looked for a nice VF/XF circulated '85-CC Morgan for my album...and here it is...but wait....what the heck is that mini-micro-crowded CC mint mark doing on the reverse. I don't think the '85-CC came with any reverse dies with those tiny close together CC's. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

1885-CC Counterfeit IMO

Seller has a bunch of semi-key 'S' mint dates too, including the always tough '95-S. The 'S' mint marks look way weak and just wrong for all those 'S' mint coins. ALL of the seller's coins have the same look which is enormously suspicous to begin with. Individually by themselves in an auction, they would be even more deceiving. They look like they have been burnished up a bit to give them a circulated look. I don't like the looks of this set of coins at all...

What do you all think?????

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Looking at a handful of that seller's coins, the date is poorly done on all of them.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogus as can be!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Ebay should start an international incident and ban sellers from China until they clean up their act.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I am a honest
    and I have honor.

But the dude says he has honor!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Among his feedback:

"this chinese commie is a crook !! selling conterfeit coins!!
    Buyer foyt22 ( 51) May-31-06 17:08 8425925503
    Rating Mutually Withdrawn: Buyer and seller mutually agreed to withdraw feedback for this item."

The Ebay feedback system at its finest. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these are pretty bad... there was a thread about an 1848-O Seated Dollar about a week ago... an 1848-O? Please...imageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The '85-CC sold for $330. Some of the others are getting up there. Heck of a racket. Even if they shut 'em down...they'll be back next week under another new name...and a new story about another dead uncle or some nephew working in China.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    He had another dozen or so fakes set to close today in a couple of hours. One guy was bidding on 3 and was fixing to lose over $600 and that was with 2 hours to go. All of his pending auctions just dropped off my Watchlist a few minutes ago. EBAY just shut down all his auctions and I suspect within a few days this will be a NARU'd account. At least I hope so. I presume now that EBAY is 'in the mix' they will negate the '85-CC sale which already closed before they got this dude sniffed out.

• Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    Why is anymore HERE surprised?

We ALL know eBay remains the wild west of rippoffs in coins. Mix in any questionable poor country, Western Union, raw, less than top3 TPG and a key date and you have an instant ripoff.

May as well throw your money out the window.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is anymore HERE surprised?

We ALL know eBay remains the wild west of rippoffs in coins. Mix in any questionable poor country, Western Union, raw, less than top3 TPG and a key date and you have an instant ripoff.

May as well throw your money out the window. >>

So true- only difference is when you throw your money out the window, someone who is honest and really needs it may get it, not so with these crooks.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file