Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Guard yourself when shipping a Paypal item

Hello All,

This may have been covered before here on the forums, but I would like to make sure!

I sold 3 rolls of Unc dollars on ebay, all to the same buyer and they used Paypal for funding.
I received notice from Paypal that "you've got cash" from a confirmed buyer. I sent the items
the next day USPS with Insurance. Two days later received notice from Paypal that the payment
would (after a week) be reversed. I called Paypal and they said there was 1 of 3 reasons for this, but could not
tell me specifically which reason. Paypal told me i was covered under Seller protection if I had "On-
line tracking" I thought (my Dumb*** thinking) Insurance was tracking.
I was told by USPS that Insurance was actually better because, you have a signed
receipt. Well I have my signed receipt from the PO as received, but Paypal does not except this
method!

Be warned that if you do not have "On-Line Tracking" you are Not covered period!!!!

As I look at the Ebay buyer now, it looks like It should have raised a red flag with me, but I
do not think their feedback was Private (4 Pos, No neg's) at the time of the transaction.

Now I have emailed a copy of the Insurance delivery receipt to the buyer to hopefully help
clear up this matter, but I think i'm out $200. ($100. for the Item, and $100. to restore my paypal accnt).

I will be leaving a Neg feedback if not cleared up by the buyer, but is it worth the bad Feedback on my end for
someone who will be gone in a couple of weeks?
I look at feedback very carefully when buying, and it will probably cost me as well!!!

I would like to include a link to the auction, but it was a Dutch auction with two buyers, and I do not
want to hurt the other buyer.

I would like to hear your thoughts

Mike

Comments

• p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately most people learn this the hard way, myself included.

Delivery confirmation is a must for all items ending under $250 if you wanted to be protected.

Signature confirmation is required for anything over $250.
  • Do yourself a favor, whatever the price of the item is insure it, and pay for tracking.
    I also learned the hard way. I insure and track no matter what the sales price is,
    and state so in all my listings.
    Hope it works out for you.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    After the fact, but del. conf. is free if you send Priority with online 'click & ship' on the USPS web site.
    I use it all the time, buyers/traders are happy to get their item fast & I get a break on cost to justify shipping Priority.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it simple if they pay by PayPal link your shipping and pay for the shipping though PayPal.
    The delivery confirmation for first class only cost 14 cents and it is free for priorty. All you have to do is put a packing bubble in the padded mailer so it is at least 3/4 inch thick.
    A small postal scale don't cost that much either. I found mine at a garage sale.
    And when the value of the item goes up you can purchase insurance though the link. But I think it only goes to $500 over that it takes a trip to the post office.

Edit for insurance amount.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    If you use Paypal to make mailing labels, delivery confirmation is only $0.14, at least it was a couple of months ago when I shipped several items. Better be without $0.14, than $100.00. Does anyone know, is delivery confirmation acceptable form of online tracking for Paypal? This would be good information to know.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles Mike. Hopefully, it will all get cleared up.
  • Thank you all for the imput.

I need to check out the options with Paypal, and delivery conformation.
    I now know that Paypal needs to be able to check on-line with USPS
    to confirm the Item was received.

Also after many calls to Paypal Cust. Service they decided to refund $80.00 of my $111.00
    which is pretty good on their part. In the end it was my mistake, but I did loose about
    $140.00 in coins sent & depositing the money to cover the reversed transaction.

Hopefully someone will bennifet from this post!

Thanks all
    Mike