Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959-present lincolns experts(topic about 1970-s variations)

Hello I was wondering if anyone had any pointers about the date 1970-s variations(large and small). Or is it when you see it you know it. I'm looking for a 1970-s short 7 small date. I have a small hoard of 200 coins. would like to see what I can find. I would be happy to post pics if I get lucky.
So any info is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Also when i refer to the coin guide they do have pics. Unfortanately they are of no help really.
  • Options
    Look for the top of the seven to be even with the 9 and 0. On the typical large dates the seven is clearly lower.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way for me is to look at the lower loop of the 9. On the small date it points to the
    right on on the large date it points at the mint mark.

Coppercoins swears by looking for the break between the top and bottom of the 7, but I don't
    have a lot of experience with this.

Don't look for the weak motto or you'll find dozens that are really large dates and on rare occa-
    sion you'll miss a small date. Some people look at the alignment of the numerals but I find this
    very difficult.

There is only the small date and large date so far as date sizes are concerned, there is no short
    7, or long 7 etc.

There are a few other interesting varieties including some DDO's (look at the date) and RMMs.
    The best is an S/S south.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ar18ar18 Posts: 1,122
  • Options
    Thanks this was exactly the help I needed thanks again everyone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file