Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me approximately when this 1797 Half Dollar was graded by PCGS, based upon the holde

and/or if they know where it sold previously, other than on Ebay?image

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Heritage sold a PCGS F-12 in 1994, but there's no pic available. Teletrade sold a different one than this in 2000.

Do you suppose this PCGS slab was inherited from grandpa too, or was it recently slabbed just for this sale? The number is legit.

Also, why would a seller end an auction early to sell at the current bid, rather than let it go on to see what kind of outrageous price it would bring?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    <<Also, why would a seller end an auction early to sell at the current bid, rather than let it go on to see what kind of outrageous price it would bring?>>

Because he has a big fish on the line and can't wait to reel him in (and get his $)? image Thanks for the other information. I look forward to finding out how long aho it was graded and if that corresponds with the Ebay seller's story. image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe a year to a year and ahalf ago is when the cert came out. Possibly two yeras but I doubt it.

I will check my submissions and be back.

Ken
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    218 numbers were a year and a half ago. 215 would be no more than two and one half years ago I believe.

Ken
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    My 21,710,000 numbers were collector club and done about one year 9 nine months ago. I can look up an eact date if it's important.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    ....i could tell you - but don`t you think that imfo could be looked up by yourself in just a few momments of your own time ?

Shouldn`t we all really spend our precious time giving alot of thought and energy to the many

very important hypotheticals that get posted ?

And how about proper spelling ? I`m spending a lot of time looking in the dictionary these days

making sure

i don`t get lambasted for a couple of misplaced letters !

I`m watching your every more - one slip up and i`ll come down on you like

a penguine on a frhess hairing image:
  • Options
    Thanks folks.
  • Options

<< <i>I`m watching your every more - >>

MORE???? What?????

<< <i>a penguine on a frhess hairing >>

HUH????

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....i could tell you - but don`t you think that imfo could be looked up by yourself in just a few momments of your own time ?

Shouldn`t we all really spend our precious time giving alot of thought and energy to the many

And how about proper spelling ? I`m spending a lot of time looking in the dictionary these days

making sure

a penguine on a frhess hairing image: >>

Smotimes you are a real idiot.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>....i could tell you - but don`t you think that imfo could be looked up by yourself in just a few momments of your own time ?

making sure

Smotimes you are a real idiot. >>

Sometimes?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

making sure

Smotimes you are a real idiot. >>

Sometimes? >>

Sad Sad Sad --- if this keeps up-- he may give all lemmings a bad name............
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It was graded late Spring, 2004.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Russ has it pretty close, I had a submission with certs starting '2153' graded in May 2004.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    Pretty ballsy buying that from a 0 feedback seller. You're just playing with him right?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    maybe trying to figure out if stolen

locally a couple just got charged with selling stolen items on eBay
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty ballsy buying that from a 0 feedback seller. You're just playing with him right? >>

Not really to the comment and yes to the question. - see update in this thread:here
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    All I can tell is that it was after Feb 2002, To narrow it down any further I would need pictures of the back of the slab. (There have been at least three PCGS varieties since Feb 2002.)
  • Options
    I can't begin to believe that somebody's kids:

a) knew that a 1797 half was a major rarity
    b) managed to lift pics of a 1797 half from somewhere that nobody here (to my knowledge) has been able to attribute
    c) hijacked a 0 feedback account
    d) thought any of this qualified as a prank

Either the account holder listed a scam auction and got cold feet when they saw the bidding and dollar amount involved ($32k will get you serious jail time), or they have some of the geekiest and somehow most bada$$ed kids on the planet.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I noticed Julian Leidman was the underbidder on this coin.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't begin to believe that somebody's kids:

a) knew that a 1797 half was a major rarity
    b) managed to lift pics of a 1797 half from somewhere that nobody here (to my knowledge) has been able to attribute
    c) hijacked a 0 feedback account
    d) thought any of this qualified as a prank

Either the account holder listed a scam auction and got cold feet when they saw the bidding and dollar amount involved ($32k will get you serious jail time), or they have some of the geekiest and somehow most bada$$ed kids on the planet. >>

A) They didn't have to know the coin was a rarity - they could have easly copied text after happening upon it. They had listed 3 other much lower value generic items too.

B) The fact that we can't find where the pics came from doesn't necessarily make the kids sophisticated.

C) The account belonged to one of their father's - likely far easier to get into than a typical hijacked (stranger's) account.

D) There is no accounting for what certain kids (and adults) think.

If it had simply been a case of cold feet after the fact, they need not invoiced me, etc. before getting caught by the father. I think you give them too much credit. Yes, it might be a story, but I believe it.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I can relate to kids like this, since my own son just spray painted our basement floor yellow.
  • Options
    Fair enough Mark. I suppose there's no getting around the fact that I'm a cynic.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file