Home U.S. Coin Forum

Upgrade question?

When items are sent as crossovers, they are graded in the old holder. I know they won't cross 70 and such, and some guys have crossed, broke out and re-submitted and gotten 2 or more points higher. Since reviews are broken out, If I had some Crossovers done, is it possible that they were undergraded that way, and if I would send any for review, would they potentially upgrade or would PCGS just stick with the existing grades?

Comments

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Anything is possible. I have had more than 1 crossover upgrade after cracking.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything is possible. >>

Very true. Like this coin:

Four different PCGS holders:

MS64CAM.
    MS65CAM.
    MS66CAM.
    MS66DCAM.

I'd crack it and submit it again, but I don't want to press my luck. image

Russ, NCNE
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Was that 64CAM grade before a dipping? If not, the graders were on crack.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was that 64CAM grade before a dipping? >>

Yeah, and PCGS did the dipping. It showed up on TT in a hazed over MS64CAM holder. Seller reserved it and it didn't sell. Showed up about a month later in a MS65CAM holder, with the same cert number and no haze. I bought it, cracked it out, submitted it and it came back MS66CAM. Then I submitted it for designation review and it bumped to MS66DCAM.

Russ, NCNE
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I believe that although a coin is cracked during a review and graded raw, it goes to one fewer grader with the original grade on the holder being counted as one of the opinions rendered.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file