Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German Nazi-Era Deutches Reich 1936 coin info

Hello -

I have a coin in decent condition that appears to be from 1936 Nazi Germany and would like to know more about it.

The head is a profile of Paul von Hinderburg with the dates 1847 - 1934 printed on the left. The profile faces right.

The tail is the symbol of an eagle standing on a wreath with swastika inside. It is labeled with '2 Reichs Mark'

Below that is written Deutches Reich 1936

Any information or pointers to resources for learning more about this coin?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Welcome to the darkside, Bill image

Your coin is 25 mm in diameter, it weighs 8g (silver 625, copper 325) that equals about 5g silver.

Those coins were minted from 1936 to 1939, they were legal tender in Germany until June 20, 1948.

There are different mints which issued the coin, look for the mintmark (D, E, G or J) left of Hindenburg's neck.

Edited for spelling
    imageimage
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    image to the Darkside.

The 1936 2 mark is one of the harder and more expensive coins of this series with the 1936J being the hardest in gem unc.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Welcome my son, may you travel these dark valleys in peace.
  • Options
    Hi Udo - thanks for the info. It looks like my coin is from the D mint. Do you know where I might find more info on what this mintmark means? Also, there are some imprints around the perimeter (don't know the technical term) of the coin... looks to read something like "Gemeinnut 3 1936 von Eisennut 3" is this the artist of the plates (terminology again; forgive me I a complete novice) from which this coin was struck?
  • Options
    Thanks for the info 3Mark... tell me, what does everyone mean by "the darkside"? Thanks for the welcome, all!
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome, 1jester!
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Zar!
  • Options
    'The Darkside' a place where us mortals dwell in the endevour to collect worldwide coins apart from American coins.

In these hidden depths you may also find the term 'Liteside' which represent coins from Canada.

Now that you are here in the valleys of Dark you will never leave....Ha ha ha ( evil laugh ), Ha ha ha. image
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    D stands for Munich

A-Berlin
    B-Vienna
    D--Munich
    E-Muldenhutten
    F-Stuttgart
    G-Karlsruhe
    J-Hamburg

As for a good site to learn about German coins I don't know of any off hand but lots of people here know better then me so good luck and image
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, there are some imprints around the perimeter (don't know the technical term) of the coin... looks to read something like "Gemeinnut 3 1936 von Eisennut 3" is this the artist of the plates (terminology again; forgive me I a complete novice) from which this coin was struck? >>

No, that's the Nazi motto around the rim (or edge inscription); they placed it on most of their higher-denomination coinage. It reads, in the "mediaeval German font" officially approved by the Nazis, "Gemeinnutz geht vor Eigennutz", translated "Service before Self". This motto replaced the old Weimar motto "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (Unity and Justice and Freedom). The old motto reappeared on German coins once the Nazis were overthrown.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>In these hidden depths you may also find the term 'Liteside' which represent coins from Canada >>

Canada is greyside. And of course tokens, medals and other exonumia is the farside.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, all! The Darkside is indeed an interesting place...

image re: the Lite/Grey/DownUnder/ sides... I appreciate your info as one coming from the "blind-side" (newbie)!!

American coins are interesting, but I enjoy the expansiveness of looking at, and learning about the history of, coins from global locations...

Catch you on the flip-side...

-Bill
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Although 3rd Reich coins are fairly common, I've found it quite a challenge to locate them in really nice condition. I have a complete 3rd Reich type set (with several types in both BU and Proof), and I'm currently working to complete a 2 & 5 Mark set in BU (all types, dates and mints).

Here are a couple of Deep Cameo Proofs from my type set. - Preussen

Edited to add: image to the darkside. It's fun over here image.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Wow - nice coins Preussen !!

General question: If Canada is Greyside then what is liteside ?

TIA
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - nice coins Preussen !! >>

Thanks.

<< <i>General question: If Canada is Greyside then what is liteside ? >>

imageUS coins
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Lol - cheers - I thought that any 'side' was non American coins.

Thanks for clarifying.