Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1/25th of a ton of Mexican coins!

I saw an offer for 80 lbs. of the aluminum-bronze Carranza 100-peso coins (of Mexico).

That got me wondering -- how many of those particular coins would be in that 80-lb. lot? I don't know how much each one weighs.

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Bet the postage on that lot is a killer....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    LOL! Maybe they could be stuffed into a bulging "Flat Rate" Priority Mail pouch, reinforced with 100 yards of packing tape...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    *chuckle*

Is there any weight limit on the flat rate boxes?

Would be curious to try shipping an anvil just for giggles... image

All you oldtimers sing along:

Don't sit under the anvil tree with anyone else but me... *CLONK*
  • Options
    About 11.7 grams each. 454grams=1pound * 80 = 36,320 grams / 11.7grams= ~3104 coins assuming I did my math right........ image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL! Maybe they could be stuffed into a bulging "Flat Rate" Priority Mail pouch, reinforced with 100 yards of packing tape... >>

It would take two Flat Rate boxes, the PO will not mail anything over 70lbs.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that's quite a haul
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe 80 pounds is the weight limit for USPS packages. This may be a gross weight.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for doing the math, DCH! That's a lotta coins. I would almost be a peso-millionaire... 1/3 of the way there.

With the Flat Rate envelopes and boxes, I think they're not supposed to be stretched or expanded beyond their normal dimensions, and the contents have to fit inside. In other words, you wouldn't be able to tape a Flat Rate envelope to the side of a pallet of bricks and mail it for $8.10 or whatever.

Not that I've tried.