Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Rare eBay Occurrence?

I just wanted to share my experience with a seller on the bay. I purchased a card at a decent price, completed the checkout and paid via paypal immediately. I didn't think any more of the transaction until the card arrived yesterday. Inside the bubble mailer was my card, wrapped in a paper towel and a dollar taped to the case.
Apparently, I paid an extra buck ($4 total) for shipping and the seller included the overage with my card. Of course, it's not about the amount...because I thought I paid the amount stated in the auction. The fact that they included back to me tells me something about the seller. I checked the auction and sure enough it was $3 stated right in the terms.
So, as everyone knows, not all sellers are scammers, ignore emails, run up shipping, etc. I found it kind of refreshing to see something like this little gesture still exists for some.
Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    SOunds like you found an honest seller, They are hard to find, Put him on your favorites list.
    I had a guy pay me in cash one time with a $10 dollar bill for a transaction that was $9.99. I taped the penny to the card saver when I sent him his card.

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SOunds like you found an honest seller, They are hard to find, Put him on your favorites list.
    I had a guy pay me in cash one time with a $10 dollar bill for a transaction that was $9.99. I taped the penny to the card saver when I sent him his card. >>

I never did thank you for that penny....it was a rare 1909 BVG or whatever worth thousands...........

.......joking......
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    It happens more that most people realize. I have sent and/or received cash refunds almost monthly. There are way more good people on eBay that the idiots that we talk most frequently about !
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I too have received similar cash refunds for overpaying on shipping.

In the end most are decent people. The feedback for the average person being 99% or better is a representation of that.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I have often received and given refunds inside the envelope.

The best one, and the most incomprehensible, was a lady from
    Kentucky who sold me some Derby stuff. I paid with PayPal and
    added $1.30 for insurance.

When the package arrived, there was an envelope - INSIDE
    the PACKAGE - with $2.00 and a note that read:

"I'm sorry I forgot to buy insurance at the post office."

That is a great example of both my kind of lazy and some folks'
    kind of honest.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>SOunds like you found an honest seller, They are hard to find, Put him on your favorites list.
    I had a guy pay me in cash one time with a $10 dollar bill for a transaction that was $9.99. I taped the penny to the card saver when I sent him his card. >>

I never did thank you for that penny....it was a rare 1909 BVG or whatever worth thousands...........

.......joking...... >>

Lostdart.....a 1909 S VDB.image
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    ...kinda related story.... I sold a lot of (5) bowman singles of Hanley Ramirez Rc's last week to a guy, he paid immed.
    In the process of packing his cards, I noticed I only had 4! I goof'd! Rather than trying to explain I had screwed up
    and offer up a partial refund, I just send the 4 that I had, and an ENTIRE refund including the cost of shipping.

I just felt I should learn from my own mistakes... at least it wasn't a lot of 5 Jordan Rc's!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    It's happened twice with me---both times I wanted the item quickly, and rounded up (sent via cash), got 1.5 and 2.05 back. Still a rare occurance, though, considering I've done it more than twice (not by that much, though) to say the least.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I have done that several times before I had accepted Paypal. People used to send me cash and I would just give them change.
    I had a priest send me $15 in cash once when the total was $12. I gave him back $3 in cash with his cards because I also feared going to hell.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have done that several times before I had accepted Paypal. People used to send me cash and I would just give them change.
    I had a priest send me $15 in cash once when the total was $12. I gave him back $3 in cash with his cards because I also feared going to hell. >>

Still got his address?
    I'd like to send him 3.00 for the hell of it!image
  • Options
    If paying with cash, I'll always round up. I only pay with cash when the card # shipping is less than $12.00 and they won't take paypal. With that said, two weeks ago I won a graded card for $11.50 total. Sent the seller $12.00 (stuffed neatly in a top loader). Well, I get a bubble mailer in the mail and I hear rattling as I'm opening it. Immediately I'm thinking the worst--a cracked to pieces holder and a destroyed card. The seller had tossed two quarters in the mailer to make up for the overpayment...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It happens more that most people realize. I have sent and/or received cash refunds almost monthly. There are way more good people on eBay that the idiots that we talk most frequently about ! >>

I totally agree Poppie.

I can't remember who it was - but someone stated most people are out ta screw ya - and this is just another example of how that's just not true.

Cardfan

Great post! Most people try to be decent and honest. As Poppie said - it's amazing how skewed thinking can get by the small % of deceitful people.

Good way to start the holiday weekend!
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I just wanted to share my experience with a seller on the bay. I purchased a card at a decent price, completed the checkout and paid via paypal immediately. I didn't think any more of the transaction until the card arrived yesterday. Inside the bubble mailer was my card, wrapped in a paper towel and a dollar taped to the case.
    Apparently, I paid an extra buck ($4 total) for shipping and the seller included the overage with my card. Of course, it's not about the amount...because I thought I paid the amount stated in the auction. The fact that they included back to me tells me something about the seller. I checked the auction and sure enough it was $3 stated right in the terms.
    So, as everyone knows, not all sellers are scammers, ignore emails, run up shipping, etc. I found it kind of refreshing to see something like this little gesture still exists for some. >>

I've probably done this for buyers at least five times in the past month. It just seems like the right thing to do, and it can't hurt your future prospects on Ebay.