Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ah, I love those O-Pee-Chee Baseball cards!

I sent in three different invoices this week!

All of them were OPC Baseball 1965-1987

Some other stuff in between. They went in
on the $5 special.

Results will be forthcoming so you can see
what is happening in the world of those
NORTH OF THE BORDER cards!

GOOD NIGHT ALL!

Tony
aka KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Tony

I agree with you on the OPCs. I have a few in myself I am eager to get back. I miss the OPC buying posts of rbdjr1.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Good luck with the grades!

Got any 1978's in there? I've started dabbling in that set.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about starting a 1978 OPC set. I probably have a few thousand cards in 660 count boxes. I have slowly been going through the cards and should be able to put a very nice set together. I also busted a box a few months ago and was happy with the results.
  • Options
    Here's my favorite from one of my recent subs
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options

One of one, no nines, and only one 8. to bad it couldn't have been a rose or something
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    The I like the early OPC's too (60's-70's) and also liked to see rbdjr1's posts...whatever happened to him? Dont see him here anymore.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The I like the early OPC's too (60's-70's) and also liked to see rbdjr1's posts...whatever happened to him? Dont see him here anymore >>

the way he jumped ship and stopped upgrading his 76 set leads me to believe the feds are after himimage
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The I like the early OPC's too (60's-70's) and also liked to see rbdjr1's posts...whatever happened to him? Dont see him here anymore >>

the way he jumped ship and stopped upgrading his 76 set leads me to believe the feds are after himimage >>

he also sold a larg enumber of his OPC baseball cards from the 1970s - and many of them were not sold for a gain
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I've been selling off my '65-'94 OPC complete set run, only the '66 is left (currently on Ebay), but I plan to keep the '65, '68 and '74. The '65 should be 100% graded by end of summer, the '68 already is.
      There are 13 naturally short-sized cards from the '68 set, Stargell, Yaz Leader #2, and Billy Williams among them. This is one reason the POPs are zero for these cards. The Stargell has been misgraded twice, I've seen one and it's definitely short sized. I know of at least 14 Stargells that have been submitted (six by me), all came back "Evidence of Trimming."
        Of the three '65 OPC Brooks Robinson's I've seen, none had the Printed in Canada" line. Can someone please check their '65 Topps Brooks and let me know what's on the reverse?

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
      • Options
        jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
        67standup,

Why did you decide sell your OPC sets? Are you still an OPC fan?
      • Options
        Here's one more that more clearly demonstrates how every Stargell - and 12 other '68 OPC's - were printed:

I began a new collecting venture: a type card (player can only be represented once) for every year 1900-2006, with a few pre-Century examples. Half my energy and funds are spent on vintage Hot Wheels. IMO, 1965 and 1974 are the toughest OPC years and I spent too much time building that 1968 set. I still believe there's much upside in pre-1977 OPCs.
        “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
      • Options
        bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
        Cant wait to see how ya did.....

To any OPC folks out there, if anyone has any Thurman Munson OPC from 71-77 graded or high end raw LMK. Thanks !
        "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
        -- Yogi Berra

• Options

Thanks for all the replies!

It is extremely tough to find some of the common 1969 OPC

Of particular scarcity in my humble opinion, one the of the toughest
        to find with ANY decent centering is #217 John Donaldson. I have
        yet to see one centered (NM or better, that is) that is better than
        20/80 top to bottom. Of course, the two toughest cards to find
        without the printing crinkle down the middle is Brock and Banks.
        There is a GEM MINT 10 of the Banks out there that was on ebay
        a while back. A few months ago I purchased a Luis Aparicio in MINT
        9 and usually about 50-60% of those have the printers crinkle right
        down the middle of them! I have a #50 Clemente that is MINT 9 oc,
        but boy is it a beauty, even for an off-center card! I have went thru
        about 10-15 sets of these cards to find just the right card, not including
        the various singles I have purchased.

On FEEBAY, it is usually one extreme or the other, as you roll the dice
        on "RAW" cards that grade NM or NM/MT. I find that about 80% of the
        cards that I bid on, never look like they are supposed to when I get
        em. They are so hard to find nice that you simply take a shot on em
        at $1 to 4 or $5 a whack, which can get expensive, but you always
        try to when the cards look so nice.

Probably the best OPC card I have purchased off FEEBAY in the last
        year was a raw 1965 OPC Roger Maris for $61. It came back PSA 8 !
        (Let the drooling begin! LOL!).

Maybe I have started an OPC thread? In any case, maybe it is time
        we did anyway? Any other thoughts on OPC especially the 1965-1969
        stuff, let it FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

regards,
        Tony
        aka KalineFan
      • Options
        IMO the '65 Murakami (first Japanese player on a Topps card?), '66 Mays, '69 Yaz, '71 Clemente and '73 #1 are the toughest OPCs to find in high grade.

• Options
        pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO the '65 Murakami (first Japanese player on a Topps card?), '66 Mays, '69 Yaz, and '71 Clemente and '73 #1 are the toughest OPCs to find in high grade.
        >>

sweet.. i found a Murakami just a few days ago while digging through a box of stuff ive had for awhile.. it was a pleasant surprise, especially when i noticed the "Printed in Canada".. it will grade no lower than a 5, no higher than a 6..
        ·p_A·
      • Options
        pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
        here's a scan of my Murakami..

·p_A·
      • Options
        Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Very nice card Perry

Are you gonna submit it to PSA?

mike
        Mike
      • Options
        HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>IMO the '65 Murakami (first Japanese player on a Topps card?), '66 Mays, '69 Yaz, '71 Clemente and '73 #1 are the toughest OPCs to find in high grade... >>

p_A, your card sure seems to stack up to 67standups -- on the front anyway. Your back is a little hairy (sorry to get personal), but I'd be curious how PSA grades it. Let us know if and when you do get it slabbed!