Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What happens to all the Card Savers?

As I sit here putting together my last-minute submission for the set registry special, I'm wondering -- what happens to all the Card Savers we send to PSA? They get tons of these things. Surely, they don't just throw them out. Do they become freebies for the employees? That's my bet. Still, it would seem they get more than all their employees could ever hope to use. Maybe, they give them to the needy. Hey, I'm needy! Wish they would just send them back with the cards.

Comments

• I don't doubt that most employees have large collections of cards.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    We've discussed this before, and in fact a PSA employee came on the boards to straighten things out, and told us that they're thrown away. Which seems like a waste, but there you have it.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i know i'm fresh out of card savers.. image

i even had to switch some that i had in cardsavers to toploads, and use the cardsavers on the cards i currently wanted to submit..
    ·p_A·
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i would melt them down and make a statue of liberty..
    ·p_A·

• << <i>We've discussed this before, and in fact a PSA employee came on the boards to straighten things out, and told us that they're thrown away. Which seems like a waste, but there you have it. >>

Uh huh image
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Insulation or shingles, take your pick.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What happens to all the Card Savers? >>

Mike
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Somewhere near Newport Beach (probably not) there is a landfill. In this landfill there are up to 9,000,000 Card Savers, as PSA has just recently claimed to have graded that many cards and beyond. I suppose if you could somehow get into that landfill, you would be able to literally swim in Card Savers! Not to mention all the other stuff you find in landfills....Hmmmm, maybe notimage
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We've discussed this before, and in fact a PSA employee came on the boards to straighten things out, and told us that they're thrown away. Which seems like a waste, but there you have it. >>

This was asked at the National during the PSA lunch.
    The response was that they are recycled like any other plastic.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We've discussed this before, and in fact a PSA employee came on the boards to straighten things out, and told us that they're thrown away. Which seems like a waste, but there you have it. >>

This was asked at the National during the PSA lunch.
    The response was that they are recycled like any other plastic. >>

Aren't CS's a 'type II' plastic that's unrecyclable (is that even a word)?
  • Only problem is they are usually cut open from my understanding to prevent possible damage from removing them. This is one of the reasons they want you to send CS instead of toploaders.
  • I second what Wizard said, I heard the same thing.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!

• << <i>Somewhere near Newport Beach (probably not) there is a landfill. In this landfill there are up to 9,000,000 Card Savers, as PSA has just recently claimed to have graded that many cards and beyond. I suppose if you could somehow get into that landfill, you would be able to literally swim in Card Savers! Not to mention all the other stuff you find in landfills....Hmmmm, maybe notimage >>

please please please--someone here post the Don West swimming through cards video. That's the first thing that popped in my head when I read this. I know someone here has it.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I believe that they are usually cut to remove the card. I've been wrong a time or three before.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I always thought they were melted down and used for the slabs. Maybe I'm crazy.

Lee
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I've also heard that they are cut to remove the card more effectively.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Cutting would make sense as to why PSA wants cards in CS1's and not 2's or toploaders.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• As a nice gesture to the people who send their cards in to get graded, along with lot's of their hard earned money, PSA should return to the submitter new CS's, in the amount that was sent to them, which might just encourage the submitter to send more cards in, especially if the ones being sent in are being cut open and ruined.

Just a thought.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    They're not cut out. You could see the graders at the national last year pulling the cards out of the CS I's and sliding them back in.
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    If the PSA grading process video is accurate, card savers are NOT cut. You can clearly see at the Encapsulation stage where they slide the card out of the CS and put it into a slab.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Somewhere near Newport Beach (probably not) there is a landfill. In this landfill there are up to 9,000,000 Card Savers, as PSA has just recently claimed to have graded that many cards and beyond. I suppose if you could somehow get into that landfill, you would be able to literally swim in Card Savers! Not to mention all the other stuff you find in landfills....Hmmmm, maybe notimage >>

please please please--someone here post the Don West swimming through cards video. That's the first thing that popped in my head when I read this. I know someone here has it. >>

Only

Big Donny and cards, cards, and more cards!

mike
    Mike
  • Thanks Mike!

My appreciation of Don West grew when I saw this video. Had to go out and buy the TNA wrestling set just to get a card of him.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Plus those stickers we attach to the CSs would be a pain to remove. That leaves any protector just good enough for extra packaging material.

And speaking of CSs, today I got the 30 that Stone offered me -- plust 70 more! Thanks, Stone!!! You're the best, man!

Now I'm looking for someone to pass on the good deed to...