Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Slightly OT - question about insurance claim after coins are stolen from envelope

One of my buyers has alerted me that the coins I shipped were ripped out of the package. Fortunately, insurance was purhcased. This was a low dollar shipment, under $50, so the green form was used. I have all documentation, etc, of the transaction.

As the seller, what do I do to prove the damage when I do not possess the damaged package? Does the addressee have to go to the PO as well?
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I had coins stolen from a package I received last year. I presented the empty package to the PO and initiated the claim myself. The insurance claim was paid directly to me, and I'm not aware that the seller (NEN) was even contacted (by the PO) on the matter. This was a near $600 loss though, so the blue insurance label was present on the package. Good Luck - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I did when this happened was get a letter from the buyer saying the coin was stolen out of the envelope and state the price he paid for the coin. I then took the letter to my PO and they paid me the money.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit, typically the recipient has to initiate the claim by filling out PS Form 1000 at his local Post Office. But you can also be the one to file. (Whoever files will need your original receipts.)

You can download the form here: PS Form 1000, from USPS web site.

The form tells everything you'll need to bring to file the claim.

You can specify WHO gets the refund (you or him). If he gets it, it's a done deal. If you get it, you can refund him from there.
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I searched the threads, but couldn't find an answer to this one:

If I use USPS Insured to ship a large raw collection that I've accumulated over the past decade without purchase receipts, how do I process a claim if it goes missing (without original receipts)?

I'm not selling it, but rather consigning, so no proof of purchase or proof of value.

Thanks!

• From the USPS website:

3.2 Evidence of Value
    The customer (either the mailer or the addressee) must submit acceptable evidence to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. For claims submitted online, the evidence may be scanned and uploaded or sent via First-Class Mail to Domestic Claims, Accounting Services (see 608.8.0). Other evidence may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples of acceptable evidence are:

a. Sales receipt, invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.