Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1957 vs 1963 set (or How to choose one over the other?)

After selling my 1961 Topps All-Stars set and using 3/4 of that money to get my 1957 set to 80%, I know face a dilemma. It would take about $3200 for me to finish the 1957 set but I really don't have much more to sell (except for a few 70s raw sets). Then I look at my wall displays next to the 1957s and see a sparce looking one where my 1963 stars would go. I really love the 1963 set and enjoy talking to and dealing with others about it (esp. Soren) and it has been intent to continue working on this set once I get the 1957 one done. However, as I got to thinking, I'm only 48% complete (plus about 100 raws) with almost 2/3 of the remaining costs just on stars (I have a nice Mantle, Bomber's Best and a Stargell but that's about it). Maybe I can sell that to not only get the 57 set completed but to start on upgrading it as well. And then I looked at some of the numbers and now I am not too sure.

There are over 108,000 1957 cards graded but only about 82,000 for 1963. 63% of the 57s are PSA 7 and 8 while 75% of the 63s are PSA 7 and 8. In looking at the pop reports of other years, I understand that there are more 50s graded than 60s because it becomes more viable to submit mid-grade 50s cards but that's 25% less graded 63s for a set that has 40% more cards! Then I take a look at the SMR and predictably see that the 63s go for 40% less than the 57. I also notice that a few months ago, 1963 PSA 8 commons (and some stars) took a rare bump in SMR. Lastly, I know that 57s are hot right now but what about next year?

While I still think it's a good idea to sell the 63s to fund the 57s, will I regret not working on a 63 set? Which of the two do you think will hold their value better (regardless of grade)? Or does it become more grade specific in terms of long-term value?

(Caveat: I know talking about monetary values turn some off but to me, the journey (set-building) is the thing and I want to get my money back whenever I decide to sell sometime in the future.)

Comments

• Steve,

I think you should move onto the 63 set until I finish the 57 set in 7 or better. Who knows maybe there will be less competition for the 57 set in a year from now. I am thinking of moving to the 58 set as there are better deals to be had at the present, however at 91% completion for the 57 set I feel obligated to at least complete before starting another set.

jojowest
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Steve,

I think you should move onto the 63 set until I finish the 57 set in 7 or better. Who knows maybe there will be less competition for the 57 set in a year from now. I am thinking of moving to the 58 set as there are better deals to be had at the present, however at 91% completion for the 57 set I feel obligated to at least complete before starting another set.

jojowest >>

In your dreams, jojo. I enjoy seeing you below me on the eBay bid list. image Seriously, I think you had a nice head start on the set (I only started it 2 years ago) but now it's beginning to get harder.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    tell the wife to get a second job.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve:

I have been chipping away at the 63 set on and off for about a year now (maybe 85% - about half are PSA 7's & 8's). Been picking up stars in PSA 7 consistently for 75% of SMR lately. Got a nicely centered Duke Snider PSA 7 today for $40 (SMR $90!). My point is 7's are a nice deal right now, and like the 1962 set, these aren't easy in 7 at all.

I think you've got the rare window to sell high (1957) and buy low (1963) which makes for a nice parlay.

Mike
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to try to tell you which way to lean because of my bias towards the '63s. Picking two major Topps sets is a major task and I do think picking one is probably the way to go. The obvious drawback is that when working on a single set if that set gets hot you have no where else to turn.

I'd think you could buy back the '63s for close to the same price as you sell them for. Some a little more, some a little less. The total pops in the '63s have doubled in the four years I've been collecting this set.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

Why not keep working on both with not as quick of progress. I have only been in the 57's for a few years and haven't even came close to my goals yet. At this rate I will be working on the set for along time. But in the end I will have a well centered set with alot of cards that I am really proud own.

I kinda of like jojos idea too image
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Take your time and finish both sets one at a time. No reason to rob Peter to pay Paul. You have a nice collection of both.........don't ruin it.

If you had say, 64's, instead of 63's, I might advise differently, but the 63 set is one of the nicest of all time, so you should hang on to those you have in premium condition. I can speak from experience, as I am at 95% for my 1957 set while at the same time gradually upgrading a '63 set. I have at times run low on funds to buy 57's, but the thought has never crossed my mind to sell the 63's.

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Steve,
    These are two sets I built in raw and they are both classic beautiful sets. In the end, I think you need to decide which set you'd be happiest with, if you have to choose. Given that you'd be collecting in 7s and 8s, the '57s will be tougher and more valuable. Too bad you have to use one to fund the other, though.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>The total pops in the '63s have doubled in the four years I've been collecting this set. >>

Anyone know what the pop of the 57s done in this time frame?

Thank you all for your thoughts, I really appreciate. I'll keep thinking about this for a while...
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    << The total pops in the '63s have doubled in the four years I've been collecting this set. >>

Anyone know what the pop of the 57s done in this time frame?

Pretty much the same. 1957 prices are coming down for most PSA 7's and 8's.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!