Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Excessive Shipping Charges - She changed the amount

I won a slab at auction for total cost of $14.99. Seller wants $11.00 for shipping priority mail. I told her priority mail only costs $4.05 and ebay's new shipping policy only allows actual shipping and cost of packaging. She can use a FREE priority mailer. Only has feedback of 6 so somebody may have "taught" her how to "optimize" their sales. We'll see if she changes the charges or works up a head of steam over this.
image Scottish Fold Gold

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, you're slab won't do so well if it's just thrown in a Priority Mailer. But, the shipping's excessive... what did the auction say? Link us.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    No, the Priority small boxes. The ones I use all the time. Stuff with pages from yellow pages after wrapping slab in recycled bubble wrap. She did NOT put $11.00 for shipping in the listing. To be honest, she never states actual shipping charges but says it will go USPS Priority Mail.

"Link"

edited: The charges are not in the listing as I previously wrote.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and ebay's new shipping policy only allows actual shipping and cost of packaging. >>

Not true.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I agree with Russ. In part, this is what it says.

Actual Shipping cost: This is the actual cost (i.e. postage) for shipping the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual shipping cost may be charged if it is not excessive.
  • Options
    Do you think $11.00 to ship one slabbed coin a fair and reasonable charge for a $14.99 item? Actually I've read over her listing several times and she never actually states a shipping charge except for UPS ground for International.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think $11.00 to ship one slabbed coin a fair and reasonable charge for a $14.99 item? >>

Of course it isn't. But, that doesn't make your statement that eBay's shipping policy only allows actual shipping and cost of packaging true.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a quick glance at all this seller's policies regarding shipping teels me they aren't someone i need to to do business with.

Payment must be made 3 days of auction close, and must be completed within 10 days. Otherwise, the transaction will be canceled and negative feedback will follow. Unless prior arrangements are made, item sold as is, and no returns. Buyer pays for all shipping, handing, and packaging. Canada winners please email me for a shipping rate. (All shipping rates are "Priority Mail" USPS Mail with "Signature Confirmation') Your item will be shipping the same or the next day payment is received. We will not be held responsible for any lost or damaged mail. When bidding, you agree to all this information. ) All notes/coins/items are being sold in "as-shown and "As-received" condition. No grading is provided or guaranteed by the seller, nor by the auctioneer. By placing a bid on this item, you are entering into a legally binding contract to purchase this item for the amount of your bid. This item is being sold in "as-is" and "as-received" condition. No written, expressed nor implied warranty is provided. Returns are not accepted. If you do not agree with these terms, please do not bid on our item!!
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think $11.00 to ship one slabbed coin a fair and reasonable charge for a $14.99 item? Actually I've read over her listing several times and she never actually states a shipping charge except for UPS ground for International. >>

Direct copy and paste from the auction:

All shipping rates are 24 hours "priority mail" USPS Mail with "signature confirmation."

(and then)

All shipments will be made via UPS from

Clearwater FL. Pleas allow 5-7 business days for delivery from receipt of payment.

International shipments have limited insurance coverage - A $500 deductible applies to all International shipments, and are shipped only by UPS. We ship all USA orders by UPS, unless a PO Box is specified
    (Please email with specific questions)

UPS Ground Insured Shipping Rates: $9.00 Plus Insurance which is required for all purchases. Insurance is $0.35 per hundred

============================================

Seems pretty plain to me. image

• Options
    After I emailed her that I thought $11 was excessive, she sent me a new invoice for $6.00 shipping. I can live with that even though it's more than $4.05 priority.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    Seems fair
  • Options
    KoinDawg, sadly, although you disagree with her charge, and I agree she is charging an unreasonable amount, you have little recourse but to pay it. You should have verified the shipping costs beforehand, having not done so leaves the amount she charges you post auction entirely in her hands and subject to whim?

Yes, you are being overcharged, but you set yourself up for it by not establishing that cost beforehand. Your argument that it only costs you a certain amount to ship isn't a legitimate complaint after the transaction terms have been accepted by you, and you accepted those vague terms when you pushed the Buy Now button.

You are lucky she considered a reduced rate after your complaint.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>After I emailed her that I thought $11 was excessive, she sent me a new invoice for $6.00 shipping. I can live with that even though it's more than $4.05 priority. >>

$4.05 priority, $1.10 if they insure it = $5.15 and $0.85 for a handling charge which eBay allows since I don't think 45 cents would be considered excessive. Even if they don't insure, is $1.95 an excessive handling charge? I don't think eBay would consider it to be.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $6.00: very reasonable.

$11.00: smoewhat unreasonable.

I personally don't like buying from a seller who won't post their actual shipping charge.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Hey KoinDawg, are you my competition for cheap slabs? image
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    The auction says shipping is $9.00 plus insurance.

From the auction:
    UPS Ground Insured Shipping Rates: $9.00 Plus Insurance which is required for all purchases. Insurance is $0.35 per hundred

Ray
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think shipping a $15 item priority is excessive.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $6 is more than fair....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>No, the Priority small boxes. The ones I use all the time. Stuff with pages from yellow pages after wrapping slab in recycled bubble wrap. She did NOT put $11.00 for shipping in the listing. To be honest, she never states actual shipping charges but says it will go USPS Priority Mail.

"Link"

edited: The charges are not in the listing as I previously wrote. >>

I'm sorry, but if this is a new seller, how much used bubblewrap do you suppose she has laying around?image

And, I ship quite often. Where can I get some of these pages from the yellow pages??? I really might need to use my phone book sometime.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    3 ounces first class with delivery confirmation printed through Paypal is $1.01
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have avoided this seller if only due to the return policy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file