Home Metal Detecting
Options

Thin Layer on Coin Possible Clean ???

Hello again,

I didn't want to ask this question in my first post, worried it would be lost. Aside from the other coins found, I have these two coins, with a thin layer of something that looks like black sand/dirt compressed on both side of the coin. About as thick as a nickel coin maybe less.

I tried lightly brushing off, then went to a light scrap off with the toothpick, and nothing happened...I'm not sure if the coin is totally wiped smooth or is the writing under all the crust?

The reason I'm asking this is because, on one coin I became frustrated that nothing was getting it clean so I figured nothing to lose and really dug down to scrap out that crust. After digging out a small area, it kinda looks like there is either lettering or shapes...or is it possible that what I think might be shapes/letters, really is just there from me scrapping so hard on the metal?

Hoping some of the pro's here can help me out with this one. I need your experience with the types of coins you've come across...please.

Thanks and sorry again for all the writing,

Jon

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jon!

<< <i> I have these two coins, with a thin layer of something that looks like black sand/dirt compressed on both side of the coin. >>

Were these beach finds?
    Try heating it in a pan of water till boiling hot. Remove with some tongs and drop it in a container of ice water. This sudden change in temperature may cause the crust to crack off. This may take several tries before it fully cleans the coin......if it cleans it at all.

If that doesn't work you may want to try electrolysis, which is explained here.

BTW-image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    No...but they were near the beach...meaning they were in dirt but the dirt was about half a football field or so away from beach.
  • Options
    I edited my previous post above.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ACC....please be careful when cleaning them....I would suggest letting them soak in olive oil for a time (perhaps months)...this works well for me...good luck and HH.
  • Options
    Hey Jon post a pic of one of the coin's so we can get a bettter look at them.

I would go with GR's idea of the electolysis for getting that crud off.HH,Tom