Home Metal Detecting
Options

2 Coins Need Help ID, Please

Hello,

Please help ID these two coins I found. I found before these coins, some musketballs and buttons, so I know these coins are from around the same time.

The first one, I can only make out some of the words and date. As for the date it reads -80-
Looking at the front and reading the left side M--ET *H* REX
reading the right side towards the bottom, A *TE-

I wish I could be of more help but I cant make out the rest of words. Its a love, hate kinda of thing because I love finding something with history but hate not being able to fully read it.

As for the second coin...I'm sure most people will just say why the (edited) did I post it, because it is in such horrible condition and I agree with you. I was only hoping that maybe someone has or knows of a coin that has some of the lines or shapes. It looks like on the front there might be a person standing sideways with their left arm higher up then their right arm. And on the back, it looks kinda like the side profile of a face. Again, sorry to even put such a horrible pic.

FRONT

BACK

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    The second looks like a George II Half Penny.
    Scroll down to 1739 at this site.
    I've seen the first before, but can't place it yet. Do you have a pic of the other side.
    Looks like you have a nice old site there.
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen the first before, but can't place it yet. >>

Yes, that design does look familiar. And it's a holey to boot!
    Where is the "The Holey of Holeys" when you need him? image
    I'm sure the mystery will be solved soon. image

BTW- excellent finds!
    Were these found recently?
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where is the "The Holey of Holeys" when you need him? >>

You rang? image

As Tim already said, the second piece is a British halfpenny of George II. Perhaps the most common coin find on colonial-era sites, but an exciting find, nonetheless.

The top coin appears to be an imitation British Spade guinea. It should have the head of George III on the obverse. The real thing would be a gold coin, but fakes of guineas struck in brass were often used as gaming counters and such, well into the 19th century. In fact, I have one such imitation guinea on my Holey Gold Hat- it is one of the two holeys on my hat that aren't really gold. I also have a genuine George III Spade half-guinea on there. Haven't gotten a full guinea yet.

(The coin that piece mimics, the Spade guinea, was so nicknamed because the shield on the reverse was spade-shaped.)

Then again, there is a possibility that is some sort of token, if it doesn't have George III's head on the obverse side.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Hello,

Thanks for everyone helping out. After looking at the pic's of a good clean coin and can say that it is 100% half penny. I'm amazed and shocked that I found this. I wish mine looked as good as the one in the pic's but its ok...I'll get over it. Is it that odd to find items from both era's? Also from the looks of the 2nd coin, do you think cleaning would bring out the date or do you feel the shape its in, is all worn out???

Thanks again for all the help.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrosion is pretty common on those.

Here's the one I found.

Oh, and look at the first gold coin you see in the left, in this scan of some coins from my Holey Coin Vest and Holey Gold Hat.

It is a 1789 George III "spade" type half guinea, similar in design to your imitation guinea.

You need to hit that site some more! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.