Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A bit OT, but some research help is needed!!

Hey all,

I know it's a bit off topic, but I was hoping that one or two of you may be able to help me with a paitnign I am working on. Being that this board sees the most action and has such knowledgable members, I figured it would be a good shot. If I have offended anyone with this digression, I am truly sorry.

I was wondering if any of you could help me identify a particular old-timey advertisement. The painting I am doing is of Ted Williams at Fenway from the legendary 1941 season, and unfortunately, I have hit a snag. Though I have all of the reference I need for the signs and scoreboards on the green monster, towards center field is what eludes me.

To my knowledge, begind the park lies a sign for Eagle Whiskey or Bourbon, though I have been unable to confirm exactly which. I have enclosed two scans, one of my painting (which is yet to be finished) and one of a shot I found on Corbis to give everyone a clear idea of what I am speaking of.

It is what's in the circle (to the right of the eagle) that is giving me the most trouble. I know that in the middle, there is a bottle of some sort, though to the right of that, I can't for the life of me make out. I was hoping that perhaps one of you may have a better shot of the sign, or even a copy of the paper advertisement somewhere.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Graig

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It's actually a picture of a middle finger and the sign says...... Wait, that can't be it. Nevermind.

Lee
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    looks like it could be a shot glass

• Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I wish I could help. image

But I got to say that your painting is breathtaking! Dam, that is a sweet piece of art! image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I can't help you with that, but if you really want to know put it on Google Answers for $10 or so and you will get a response.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I wish I could help. image

But I got to say that your painting is breathtaking! Dam, that is a sweet piece of art! image >>

I will have to second that Greg. This one on your website is just as sweet.

How much do your paintings usually go for or rather what is your price of commission?

Absolutely amazing.

Have you contacted the Bosox? Maybe they have a historian.

FYI - I collect original negs and slides of vintage players, and many modern also all shot by sports photographers. If I can help you with any particular images please contact me. At the moment my library is about 400 images, both baseball and football.

Keith

• Options
    what do you have for packers? any lombardi?
    Always collecting vintage basketball and any ABA memorabilia.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Is this the same product? A matchcover from the 30s or 40s. Looks like they used a glass in the ad.

• Options
    It looks like the billboard has the same bottle from when it was used to advertise PM (Pall Malls?). Check out http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=z_16_1947FENWAY.jpg&username=6677 from an ebay auction
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your opinions thus far, guys. And certainly, I REALLY appreciate the wonderful compliments - it means a lot to me.

Keith: I have contacted the Sox in the past, but they havent been much help. Cooperstown can sometimes be a good resource, but at this time of year, it's tough to get any kind of response whatsoever. And of course, thank you so much for your offer regarding the negatives. I usually stick to baseball, especially with things before the late 60s. However, now I am doing paintings for Bill Goff and goodsportsart.com (the next being a panoramic of Citizens Bank Park), I might be in need of some more recent images.

In regards to commissions, it really varies. The majority of the paintings are rather large, as the Gehrig piece is about 38" x 52". It's been my 'meal ticket' into the whole genre, so I would definitely want a couple of thousand to part with it. Though, again, everything depends on the size, and image - obviously, a smaller portrait of Sandy Koufax would go for less than a full stadium shot of the 1st inning of the 1953 World Series.

JesseJames: Unfortunately, I have yet to tackle any football images, but when I do, I would imagine that the first would be of the Packers and Lombardi. However, I have so many baseball images I am trying to complete, that it might be some time before I can even get to one.
  • Options

Here is another depiction of the outfield at Fenway. Unfprtunately it is 1946 but maybe this helps?

Fenway, 1946

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    I believe the sign is for Petts Boston Bald Eagle Whiskey....

some where in the archives of brewerianna (spelling)...there has to be pics on file..

Also...I have dozens of Red Sox books and magazines from that era..I will look through them and see what I can dig up for you..

Bruce (5stat)
  • Options
    i'm impressed.. very nice! image

• Options
    Thanks for all of your help guys, I appreciate all of your efforts. Sometimes, figuring out what these signs really looked like is hard work!!!

I havent come up with a final distinction, but I am leaning towards National's Eagle Whiskey. Now, I just need to find a better picture of the advertisement (or any of their advertisements) so I know what I'm painting!