Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much more can these cards appreciate?

Hi Guys, As I get older I have always put on the backburner purchasing a low grade 51 Mantle, 33 Ruth and a 1966 Orr rc. It just seems that every year even the Psa 1-4s go up in value. Do you think its a good time now to purchase one of each in PSA 3-5 ? Does anyone think that when the baby boomers of the 60-70s pass on, their kids will sell the cards creating a glut market making the prices go down? Does anyone see this happening in the next 5 years? Does anyone see low grade cards like this attaining these values in the decade to come? I can not afford to pay for pristine examples of these cards but I want to own a REAL card of each. To purchase these cards I would have to sell off or trade some unopened product for them. Any suggestions for this long thread pure collector?

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that most of those are blue chip type cards.

Of the ones you mentioned, I think the 51 Mantle has actually been pretty dormant over the last 3-5 years, especially as compared to the price appreciation of the 52 Topps Mantle, so perhaps that may be a good one to buy.

It seems to me that, overall, there is an increasing number of cards being put into collections that might not become publicly available for decades, if ever. Predicting where the baseball collectible market goes over the next 20-30 years is a crystal ball that I don't think any of us has.

But, overall, it seems like the supply of vintage superstar cards is limited, there has only been increasing demand over the last 20-30 years [it's not like there are many collectors out there who actually saw Ruth play anymore, but his prices continue to rise], and the mid-grade examples of certain cards have appreciated very much lately - which might just mean that there is increasing stickiness at the top, limiting supply on the lower-end examples. The T-206 Cobb is a card, in particular, that seems to have done really well in PSA 3-5 over the last 2-3 years
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    if you're looking for investment potential.....save your $$$ and buy a higher grade (5-7) of one of the cards..instead of all 3.....
    keep your eye opened for raw cards and try submitting them yourself...you'll save more that way too..
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    There are just so many trimmed cards of these type and fakes. If it is a high quality card like that, I ask why is it not graded ? I do agree that a higher grade card would be better but good cards like that sell for over book all the time. Who can afford it? Someone is buying these lower grade cards too.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I second spazzy on that one. If you just want to own a REAL one as you say, then I see no problem with a PSA 3 range iwth nice eye appeal.

What kind of unoppened product are you talking about selling or trading for them?
  • Options
    You guys act like only trimmed and fakes are out there in the open market unslabbed. The majority of people with these cards have no idea of grading companies or the possible value of their collection. I know a school counselor at my old high school literally didn't know anything about her grandfathers collection except that she was offered 25K for it back in the early 80's. I got her in touch with SGC and I haven't talked to her in a couple of years but she is hooking me up with a few cards for free.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Sure, the bad stuff could be out there slabbed. If I stick with a PSA Holder and I view it myself, and I feel comfortable about it,then its ok with me. I want to get all three eventually. To answer Allens question, If I get what I want and the condition is nice (not perfect) I would be willing to trade or sell a 1972 fb wax box 2nd series and and a 1976 Basketball wax box. (this is not Spam) Just answering a question..
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I know your position - having just ponied up the $$$ for a '33 Ruth in a eye-appealing good. Overall, if you're waiting for them to get cheaper, on these superstars you may be in for a wait. But that's not to say they couldn't get cheaper - just that when you're dealing with a tier-1 such as Cobb, Ruth, Mantle and/or Orr it's pretty unlikely.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spazzy

I think the prewar stuff in moderate grades would be a good place to focus your collecting.

The key players from around 1910 to 1939.

I think the postwar players could be harder to predict. Some have gone up, some are stagnant since there's way more of it around.

If you were to pick a set like the 33G and just do the HOF'ers - not only would it be fun and a challenge to collect in the grade you choose, but down the road, it may help pay the electric bill.

Good luck and please post a scan of your first pick up!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Do you think that is better to invest in living older HOFs like Mays , Aarons and Orrs? Are they underpriced because they are still living? I know there is usually a price spike when a good player passes away . Maybe it is better to buy nice examples and trade them in the future for my other needs. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"d stay away from Mays, Aaron and Orr unless you can get a great deal. Being dead or alive doesn't make a difference.
    IMO your best bet is mid grade HOFers from pre WW2- especially from blue chip sets like T206, '33, '34 and '38 Goudey, '41 Playball, etc

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's