Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I neg this guy ?

I bought an 87 Donruss Factory set from a seller a few days ago, The set arrived today. It was not sealed inside the box inside cello wrap, There was just a set of loose cards in the box, most of which were not in order. Then I start looking at the cards, I know from experience that factory sets produce a smaller size card. I notice that every so often there is a card that is bigger than the rest, I start pulling the ones I notice this with and wouldnt ya know that every one of the "bigger" cards is either a star card or star rookie.
So, Should I neg this guy ? I would ask for a return but the darn thing only cost me $13 bucks and shipping and it would cost about that to send it back, The guy has 100% feedback, Should I contact him or just leave it alone and chalk it up to another bad E-bay purchase?

Auction in question

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd let him know and see if he can send you an actual Factory set that has not been tampered with. If he won't make due, I'd leave a neg. It's one thing to let it go due to a shipping mistake so something, but this essentially fraud.
  • Options
    Was it advertised as a factory set or sealed factory set? Thats usually the tell tale sign of what you are going to get....
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    It was just advertised as a Factory set, and I should have known better. I will probably just not leave any kind of feedback at all and move on. I really dont think the guy knows what he is doing, he doesnt sell many cards. It made me feel better to know I paid $4.95 shipping and the box it came in said $8.50. I wouldnt be so PO'ed if all the star cards hadnt been pulled and replaced with cards from elsewhere. Then at least it would have all been a Factory set.

• Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    "Bid with confidence."
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>"Bid with confidence." >>

Yeah, That one made me chuckle too !image

• Options
    As was stated before, the seller listed as a "factory set" and not a "sealed factory set." Also, there is no return policy stated in the auction (at least not that I could see). I would still contact them and see if they'll accept a return. "A closed mouth never gets fed!" image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If it was more money I would probably send him an email and ask for a refund.

Since it's a relatively small amount of money I would probably blow it off, not leave feedback of any kind, and move on to the next deal. Why create aggrivation for yourself over a small matter!?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I must be missing something here. Just because the seller did not state it was a sealed factory set does not mean it can have some factory cards and some from wax (or from cello etc) It simply means that you could possibly be getting a set that was opened.

i'd let him know in an email that the set was not factory. I'd also take the stance that he possibly did not know.

i would not leave any feedback and just move on too.

Email him for 2 reasons.

1...........let him know that you know what happened here

2.......he may not have known and has other sets like it and this way he will be advised he is selling bogus factory sets.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>If it was more money I would probably send him an email and ask for a refund.

Since it's a relatively small amount of money I would probably blow it off, not leave feedback of any kind, and move on to the next deal. Why create aggrivation for yourself over a small matter!? >>

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I agree with Win. He's clearly implying that all the cards in the set are from a factory set, which may or may not be sealed. That doesn't mean he can go through and find the gradeable stars and replace them with cards from packs. He's clearly being misleading. Just because it's in a factory set box deosn't qualify it for a factory set. For example, if he were to hand collate a set from packs and put it in a factory set box, would that be considered a factory set? Essentially that's what he's done here. I'd complain and if he's a jerkoff about it, leave the neg. Then shoot him in the face with a shotgun. That'll learn 'im.

Lee
  • Options
    ok, I have shot him in the face with a shotgun, now what ?

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Get yourself a shovel and some lime. Also, keep your mouth shut and never rat out your friends.

Lee
  • Options
    I dont have any lime will lemons do?image

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't the backs of the cards in the 87 Donruss factory sets inverted? What about the backs of the replaced cards? That would tell you if they were replaced with cards from packs.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>Aren't the backs of the cards in the 87 Donruss factory sets inverted? What about the backs of the replaced cards? That would tell you if they were replaced with cards from packs.
    James >>

You are correct jfk, I have looked at several cards throughout the set and some backs are turned differently than others.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Just email the guy like winpitcher stated. You got to let him know that you know what is up. He may not know the set was tampered and will feel bad about it and will want to make it right. I have met a lot of bad ebayers, but this guy still deserves a chance. He has 100% feedback, so you have leverage.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Seller's current auctions:

Rolex
    Heat Pump
    5 Nolan Ryan cards

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlumpster24QQhtZ-1
  • Options

<< <i>Just email the guy like winpitcher stated. You got to let him know that you know what is up. He may not know the set was tampered and will feel bad about it and will want to make it right. I have met a lot of bad ebayers, but this guy still deserves a chance. He has 100% feedback, so you have leverage. >>

Ok, I am going to e-mail him, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Well, here is the response I got back-
    "sorry, These were cards I actually bought at a card shop in glen burnie in 97 called straight away center. never new they were not factory. I am just selling off cards I had when I was younger. thanks, jimmy."

• Options
    Is that all the response...with spelling errors and all.... Sounds like he does not want to make good on the deal.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like he does not care. You are in for a small amount. What you do next is up to you.

You tried advising him (and you took the high road) he is sorry that he got screwed back in 97 from some card shop. he is implying that he had no idea it seems.

I guess you could re email him and ask him what he intends to do about it. His title stated factory set and you did not receive one.

I;d just move on.

Good point about the numbers being different I had forgot about that.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Moving on, Not worth the hassle. There were some decent cards in the box, and I did get it very fast. If it had been a large dollar item I would press on, but for 18 bucks, Ill let it pass.

• Options
    There is no one right way to go about this. You need to decide what you feel comfortable with. Sometimes it is easier to move on and make better use of your time.

However, just for the experience (and perhaps helping others on the board seeing how to deal with questionable sellers), Winpitcher has a good idea about how to follow through just to see what will happen.
    He advertised it as a factory set, but key cards were missing and wax pack cards put in their place.

If you have perfect feedback, negging him might get him to retaliate and this transaction is not worth that kind of reprisal.

If you don't go further with this just for the sake of experience and education, I want to thank you for sharing this with us. You were in the right to be upset and he was in the wrong not to be concerned about the items he sells to people.

• Options
    Seller's current auctions: rolex

yeah.. i'd buy a rolex off this guy.. no problem. like he'd sell a fake or something? image