Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BGS

Why are they so popular for recent cards? Sorry if this has been posted before.

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are they so popular for recent cards? Sorry if this has been posted before. >>

Some think their grading paradigm is preferable for modern cards [modern being after 1995, for the purposes of this discussion]
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    They are a propaganda juggernaut, simultaneously able to promote modern cards and their own grading services in the same magazines. People reading that crap don't know any better.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    A couple things:

1) You don't have to pay them $100 for the priviledge of sending them more money later on.
    2) They train their graders differently than PSA (I'm convinced of this, for reasons I'll explain in a minute), which results in a higher % of Gem Mint cards for modern stuff. If you look at the pop reports for PSA and BGS for modern cards one thing will jump out at you, and that is this: PSA (compared to BGS) isn't too shy about handing out 9's, but they ARE more reluctant to pass out 10's. In contrast, it's more difficult to get a card in a BGS 9 holder than a PSA 9 holder, but once a card is considered 'mint' BGS is much more likely to give it a Gem Mint grade than PSA. In other words, a higher % of the cards graded either 'mint' or 'gem mint' end up in gem mint slabs for BGS then PSA, but a higher percentage of total cards graded end up in a 'mint' or 'gem mint' slab for PSA than BGS. Thus, if you have a card that 'looks perfect', there's better chance that BGS will grade it gem mint than PSA, and since gem mint slabs are where the money is for modern stuf they obviously get more submissions.
  • Options
    bgs is synonymous with modern cards. that's how they brand themselves. their publications, website, auctions...the focus is modern. their attempts to cash in via vintage cards has been met with considerable resistance. bvg is the red headed stepchild of sgc, psa and gai....it's OK in the sense of known company is grading the card...but, it's beckett, which is notoriously known for their modern and not vintage focus.

people on this board..and vintage collectors...barely recognize beckett as a force in the hobby. ask a different group of collectors...novice, modern, casual, sellers who go from show to show....and they'll say beckett is quality. beckett has their followers....and those followers are mostly modern collectors.
  • Options
    1) You don't have to pay them $100 for the priviledge of sending them more money later on.

That is the biggest thing I hate about PSA, for people like me who rarely send in cards it just usually is not worthwile to have PSA grade their cards. Even though I know you get your money back in free grades it is still a bad marketing idea on their part.

Beckett does not do this and also has great specials like the current 10-10-10 with free return shipping. This just makes them more accesible to the general collecting public.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>They are a propaganda juggernaut, simultaneously able to promote modern cards and their own grading services in the same magazines. People reading that crap don't know any better. >>

Why are you attacking the Sports Market Report and PSA? I happen to think they're providing a wonderful service. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They are a propaganda juggernaut, simultaneously able to promote modern cards and their own grading services in the same magazines. People reading that crap don't know any better. >>

Why are you attacking the Sports Market Report and PSA? I happen to think they're providing a wonderful service. image >>

(lol) The pom poms are coming loose.....
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

If Beckett is more accessible to the part time collector (no 'membership dues'), and if their slabs sell for as much if not more than PSA slabs for modern cards, then how can you say that a guy who pays Beckett to grade his four 1989 UD Griffey's doesn't know any better?
  • Options
    [

(lol) The pom poms are coming loose..... >>

imageimage
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

I agree 100%!
  • Options

<< <i>

Why are you attacking the Sports Market Report and PSA? I happen to think they're providing a wonderful service. image >>

That was aimed at BGS/Beckett not PSA/SMR, I think as PSA was not yet mentioned.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Wanna see my membership card? image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I recently sent a batch of cards to BGS.
    They are on their way back to me, now.

PSA had previously returned them to
    me because they did not have holders
    that would fit. (They gave me a voucher
    that expired a few days after I got it.
    No big deal, but acts that breed
    hatred are often cumulative.)

BGS let me know when they got the cards
    and they let me know when they sent them
    back. Just like PSA.

It is not likely that I will send cards to BGS
    in the future, but I might. PSA membership
    is just a REALLY good deal, and I cannot
    imagine being interested in PSA cards
    without the SMR/POP and the magazine.
    PLUS, they give you a free gift to set on
    the shelf.

BTW, has anybody tried to sell their
    Smithsonian book that PSA is giving
    away this year? I was going to throw
    mine up on eBay. Pretty pictures, but
    there are too many words, and the type
    is too tiny.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    don't bother.. i tried that and couldn't get $15 for mine... haha
  • Options
    GAI will call you when they recieve the cards, when the grades are posted and when they ship. They have even called me a couple of weeks after to see if I was happy with the results.

PSA attitiude is you pay us 100.00 for the right to have us grade your cards. Come on any idiot can tell that is probaly the worst marketing plan you can have.

Don't get me wrong I prefer PSA graded cards, but IMHO that idea is just stupid.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The original intent of the "membership" was so that dealers who were members could have their customers submit cards through them, leaving a little room for the dealer to make a few bucks. I just don't think they ever considered changing it.

Now, it makes fiscal sense to charge the $100 because the members are more likely to submit more cards to make sure they get their $100 worth. Example: If you buy a $100 blender, you're likely to make smoothies more often then if your sister gave you a blender for free. I'm not sure the $100 turns enough people off that they should get rid of it (from their standpoint of course). Also, they don't want the people that submit 5 or 10 cards at a time- they want people submitting 50 or more cards, and somebody submitting 50 or more at a time wouldn't care that much about $100. The cost of processing an order for 5 cards leaves little room for profit on their end.

Lee
  • Options
    Thats why I like GEM. No long lines,no membership fees,every card is a 10 and if your worried about trimming or the authenticity, no problem they dont check. Dont forget they also have a "elite" service. Sounds fancy.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I find the bag they used to include with my membership is great for holding the Smithsonian book and all of the brochures and forms they include in the current membership package. image
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    When I first started with the Registry back in late 2001, IIRC PSA had done away with the membership fee. I think they charged a little more per card for "Silver Members" (non-cover-charge payers) but you could submit your cards. Then about mid-2002 they brought it back. So far, I haven't sent any of my cards in to PSA, mainly because of this fee, but also because I've had very little luck finding vintage cards worth grading, and BVG isn't as good as PSA for the sets I'm building (very little market support). For shiny modern cards that I resell to finance my "real" collection, I go with BGS. Whatever the reasons, BGS 9.5s typically do sell for more than PSA 9s or 10s. Maybe it's the gold labels.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay