Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What in the heck is CSA?

Lemme guess, avoid like the plague? But I want a 1957 Brooksie!!!! Is it worth a chance that it will cross over? Has anyone had any experience with CSA?

Link-a-rooskie!!
Collecting Interests:
Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky

Comments

• Options
    Their logo states "As the second oldest grading service, CSA grades sportscards fairly, honestly, consistently, and at a fair price - with on-time service!", but when you click on their link, its for sale......
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Could be legit, but most likely trimmed or has a small crease that CSA "overlooked". I say hold out for a nicer Brooksie like I am. If I can find a decently centered 6 or 7 for the right price, it's mine. CSA is doodie.

Lee
  • Options
    While trying to find the link for CSA, I came accross a great advertising quote from PRO grading - "PRO has the most accurate 100-point scale that permits us to separate between 9s that barely qualify for the grade and those cards that barely miss being a 10. The range between 9 and 10 is the money zone on the auction market." lol The money zone........
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert on the history of grading companies but here's what I can recollect:

First that looks like an old CSA flip.

Alan Hager - aka - Accugrade - ASA - was selling franchises of his company - he advertised it in SCD around 1992-3?

This one started in Ohio if memory serves. You got the rights to his arrowhead holder designa and even trained you.

I wouldn't be surprised if early flips may be more legit since they thought they were in on the ground floor of something big?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link to CSA.

New Flip:

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Could be legit, but most likely trimmed or has a small crease that CSA "overlooked". I say hold out for a nicer Brooksie like I am. If I can find a decently centered 6 or 7 for the right price, it's mine. CSA is doodie.

Lee >>

Good point Lee, but then the other side of me says, for the price it will prolly finish at if it will cross to a 5 or 6 with one of the big 2 grading companies it might be worth the risk...OHHHHHH, the dilemma!!! the quandry!!!!

Where in MD are you?
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

• Options
    Thanks Mike for the input, appreciate it...Has anyone bought from the seller simsclassicsports? Does he have a rep of selling junk or quality items? Thanks
    Collecting Interests:

• Options
    East Baltimore, past Highlandtown. From the scan, it looks like it would cross to a 7OC or a 5. It's not a bad price for the card if it's legit, but you can get a nice PSA 6 for $150-160 if you wait around long enough.

Lee
  • Options
    nothing to see here.. move along please
  • Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    I have purchased several times from simsclassicsports with no problems at all. That being said, your issue isn't with the seller, it is your confidence in the grading company. That is what you need to take into consideration with your bid (or not). I have no experience with CSA.

Best of Luck - Jack
  • Options
    Good points fellas.....Decisions, Decisions.......

Lee, which shops do you frequent? (assuming you go to shops)
    Collecting Interests:

• Options
    I bought a '61 Koufax that was graded an 8 by CSA (in the same PSA-like type of holder as the one in this thread). Cracked it out and got a 7, but it could've been an 8. I think its probably legit if slightly overgraded.
  • Options
    I didn't bid......there will always be another one on da 'bay image .....don't have the confidence in CSA and don't want to risk the $$$ to roll the dice then cross it over. Maybe I am too prudent, but rather not risk it at this point.
    Collecting Interests:

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think I'd be leery of even the old flips. I just measured up a '66 Mantle on ebay in the old flip and there's no question it's trimmed.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I don't know about the new flips....but the original CSAs weren't too bad. They were never grouped with the likes of GEM or Pro. I'm sure they weren't perfect, but I know from past discussions on here both CSA and KSA usually crossed over within 1 or 2 grades.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The new CSA holder looks pretty nice, but what does 'registration' mean?
  • Options
    it's a printing term.. means how well the colors line up in the 4-color printing process i believe.. or focus basically.
  • Options
    70chip- I don't really hit the shops that much anymore as they rarely get in new stuff. I used to go to Sportscard Heroes in Laurel, but that was when I lived in Columbia. Baseball Card Outlet on Eastern Ave. seems to have decent stuff. Any place I should know about?

Lee
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Mike for the input, appreciate it...Has anyone bought from the seller simsclassicsports? Does he have a rep of selling junk or quality items? Thanks >>

I have purchsed several cards from Simsclassicsports with no problems.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>70chip- I don't really hit the shops that much anymore as they rarely get in new stuff. I used to go to Sportscard Heroes in Laurel, but that was when I lived in Columbia. Baseball Card Outlet on Eastern Ave. seems to have decent stuff. Any place I should know about?

Lee >>

Lee, those are the 2 I mostly hit also when I need a fix. Usually they have the best selection at the best prices. There is a place in Glen Burnie on Rt 2 that isn't too bad and is decent with prices, but I haven't been there in a while (the name escapes me). I AVOID the place on Rt 40 in Ellicott City, heard too much shady stuff about the owner and his prices are insane. If you drive towards Frederick, the shop up there has a good selection and nice folks but prices are high, but they work with you a bit. Occasionally, I hit the mall shows but its the same ole dealers every week and deals are scarce.

Collecting Interests:

• Options
    The Dugout is the one on Rt. 40. Haven't been there in a while but they used to be great back in the 90's when it was in the old Chatham Mall. If Rick is still the owner, he's a good guy and I've never heard of him doing anything shady. I had some unbelievable pack pulls from there in the 90s. The ones I can remember were 93 Finest refractors of Maddux and Piazza, 96 Leaf Signature Frank Thomas (at the height of Thomas' popularity), 95 Bowman's Best Andruw Jones, and he hunted down a mint Fleer Jordan RC for me when they were very hard to come by in Maryland. Also, there was a hockey guy there named Jack who would always trade me for my hockey cards whether he needed them or not. It's probably changed a lot since then.

Lee
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    CSA's holder looks suspiciously like a PSA one to me.

Their website screams "fly by night operation" though. It's state of the art 1989.