Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hats off to new #1 Morgam superset leader

Looks like California #1 finally got his vams on PCGS holders, and moved into the Master bedroom of the Morgan Dollar Superset. 97% complete so far with rating of ms-62+ so far. WOW! I guess when he adds California ll, lll, and maybe lV the rest us us will be moved to the guest bedrooms. I just hope I can still hang in the servants quarters, or maybe the barn.

Comments

• No link?
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His sets are locked to viewing.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His sets are locked to viewing. >>

To which I say, BFD if we can't see them!! The least he could do is to hog only one place instead of multiple ones.
  • Hey Dennis, Why does the "Top 100" VAM set only take 97 coins to complete ?? image
  • sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    PCGS does not recognize 3 of them. I think one of the Micro O's is off their list, because PCGS feels too many of them are counterfeit.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    JJ's set explains the discrepancy nicely:

Top 100 Varieties - - besides the 97 coins in the PCGS version of the "top 100", this set also includes the 3 omitted coins, namely the 1896 Micro O (in PCGS XF40), the 1900 Micro O (in PCGS F15), and the 1902 Micro O (in PCGS XF40).
    I brake for ear bars.
    For folks who like tweaking PCGS and having an embarrassing part of its history, those three banished dates will forever be "bonus" coins in the Top 100 set. The BIG trick is they have to be in PCGS holders... and like they say, they really aren't making any more of those! image

Mine are VF30, F12, and VG10
    When in doubt, don't.
  • I know that PCGS is not supposed to be recognizing the 3 micro O's any longer, but I can't figure out why the population stats do not reflect this fact. For example, the 1902 micro O stats are:

when PCGS announced the counterfeit status: total pop = 38
    on Oct 25, 2005: total pop = 29 (makes sense, indicating 9 were turned in for reimbursement)
    today: total pop = 34 ( can't figure this out - - where did the other 5 come from?????)
    "when PCGS announced the counterfeit status: total pop = 38
    on Oct 25, 2005: total pop = 29 (makes sense, indicating 9 were turned in for reimbursement)
    today: total pop = 34 ( can't figure this out - - where did the other 5 come from?????)"

Only one thing makes sense to me: The accounting figures were not and are not unreliable. Or, even though some coins were turned in, not all were destroyed and some are still in holders... perhaps being kept for research/posterity by PCGS?

The 6/29/06 on-line pops shows 22 1896 Micro-Os
    The 6/29/06 on-line pops shows 27 1900 Micro-Os
    The 6/29/06 on-line pops shows 34 1902 Micro-Os
    When in doubt, don't.